Advice on Greek Islands/Turkey Cruise

RamRam

A group of us (possibly 10 of us) plan on taking a cruise to Greek Islands and Turkey in June 2010. I am seeking advice on several questions from those of you who have been to this area before?

- recommendations on cruise line and itinerary

- length of the cruise to visit 2-3 islands and couple of places in Turkey

- starting point recommendation (point in Italy or Greece)

- places to get good deals

Thank you,

You might be best to find a TA and discuss the options

There are many cruise lines that do Med cruises dependin on your priorities EG: budget, port intensive, luxury, basic

I would look for a minimum 10 day cruise more is better

Check the Med Forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=603

A group of us (possibly 10 of us) plan on taking a cruise to Greek Islands and Turkey in June 2010. I am seeking advice on several questions from those of you who have been to this area before?

- recommendations on cruise line and itinerary These cruises are port intensive and itinerary should trump cruise line; any of the major lines do a good job in the Med. My only thought would be to pick a line that has a well established "anytime dining" option because you will probably want to be on shore until the last possible moment. If not anytime dining, choose late seating for dinner.

- length of the cruise to visit 2-3 islands and couple of places in Turkey -- I'd suggest a minimum of 10-12 days.

- starting point recommendation (point in Italy or Greece) Depends; your options for Eastern Med would likely be Rome (longer cruises), Venice, Athens, or Istanbul. All of these are excellent ports to spend a few extra days before or after your cruise (I like to pick a cruise with different start/end points so that I can spend some "in depth" time in at least two major cities.

- places to get good deals Good deals are everywhere. Visit online travel agencies for ideas. If you have a good or recommended TA in your area, take your findings (from online research) to them and see what they can do for you.

Thank you,

See my thoughts above.

• 2 months later...

Hi Ram, we did Celebrity Solstice sept, 09 10 days from Cittivecia(rome) taking in corsica, naples, kusidasi (turkey), santorini, mykinos(greece) rhodes(greece). Naples we joined three other couples from USA and did private trip amalfi coast with APtours taking pompeii, positano, and sorento they organised everything and when we said we would like to take ferry back to naples from sorento they made sure we caught ferry with plenty of time before sailing great company and fantastic trip go to http://www.aptours.it look @ the reviews, Santorini is great cable car up to town or donkey if your brave mykinos was great lots of narrow lanes stopped for drink and asked local why some places still closed at 11 am she said they only open when town comes alive at night. i could go on but to tell you we are planning same trip 2011 will give you an idea. doing celebrity eclipse May 2010 4 night Cork then independance of the seas sept 2010 14 nights west med. do you think we like cruising? excuse spelling hope this is of help regards Winder

Archived