? about passport requirements on Spirit

Slidell Mom

I'm willing to bet that you already know the answer to your question, right?

If you, for a minute, believed what you were told, you would not be here looking for confirmation.

So since you already know the answer...I'd just go with that instead of going down this path.

If you really want the facts...the US Dept of State is going to be the best source for information...being that they issue the passports, make the rules, etc.

The State Department issues passports, Customs and Border Protection makes the rules concerning passport usage, in conjunction with the Congress.

I called Dept of State and they told me the same thing. That it was a closed loop trip and that if NCL gave me this info then it is correct. I just want to make sure no one has had any problems getting off at foreign ports. I wanted to see if anyone else used their birth certificate....

You do not need to be concerned about getting off on any Caribbean island. You really don't need anything (as for as the islands are concerned) to get off the ship. You need your ship card to get back on and sometimes a photo ID is required to get into the secured area around the ship (not at all ports).

Others will tell you differently but once we get on the ship in Miami our passports stay there until we get off in Miami, they never leave the ship.

The OP states in Post #1 that they are sailing on the Spirit on 2/14/10.

That cruise leaves/returns from New Orleans. There are visits to Mexico, Belieze, and Guatemala. The closed-loop exception for cruise ships does not apply to any voyage that stops in either Belieze or Guatemala....therefore, a valid US Passport would be required on this voyage.

Many people just think closed-loop refers to leaving and returning from the same US port. However, it also has the requirement that all ports visited during the voyage be either Canadian, Mexican, or one of a list of 17 Caribbean islands. Thus, the OP's cruise does not fall under the definition of a closed-loop cruise.

The closed loop exception does apply in that case. You are completely incorrect in your information.

A passport as of today is not required for the OP to make her cruise.

I am set to cruise 2/14/10, this will be our first cruise so I am really excited! Today, when I was talking to a NCL rep., I told them that I still have not gotten our passports and they told me they were not needed. They said all we needed was a certified copy of birth certificate and a picture I.D. Is this true??? TIA!

Hello Slidell Mom. I am also here in Slidell, in the Palm Lake area. You will be just fine with with birth cert., and picture i.d.

Me and Miss Charlotte are also looking at this cruise date as well(She is a school teacher @ Abbey Elem.) and she will have the week off for Mardi Gras.

JimmyJames

PS> Dis-regard SeaShark. I don't know what she/his problem is. We did this same cruise before with 30+ from Slidell, La, out of New Orleans. Some has passports, most did not. Had Birth Cert, picture IDs (LA drivers license) no one had any problems, getting on ship or getting off or returning to ship in each port.

Any questions, let me know.

while i am not saying to not take a passport....

if you don't have an emergency, no one will ask to see it.

we didn't go to costa maya, but in roatan: the guard at the gate (fenced area) asked to see our ship's key card. the NCL security, at the gangway, asked to see our photo ID.

in belize: you get off the tender and go your merry way. we showed our photo ID and key card to the get back on the tender.

cozumel: security asked for ship's key card as you get back to the harbor/dock area. NCL was at the ship to see the photo ID and ship card.

santo tomas: only the NCL personal, at the gangway, as to see anything.

as you leave and re-enter you have to do the scan-thingy with your key card.

what ever you need to get on the ship, in new orleans, is all you need.

229385676_shipssecuritycheckin.jpg.52af69415032862fc9181211f9e5040b.jpg

while i am not saying to not take a passport....

if you don't have an emergency, no one will ask to see it.

we didn't go to costa maya, but in roatan: the guard at the gate (fenced area) asked to see our ship's key card. the NCL security, at the gangway, asked to see our photo ID.

in belize: you get off the tender and go your merry way. we showed our photo ID and key card to the get back on the tender.

cozumel: security asked for ship's key card as you get back to the harbor/dock area. NCL was at the ship to see the photo ID and ship card.

santo tomas: only the NCL personal, at the gangway, as to see anything.

as you leave and re-enter you have to do the scan-thingy with your key card.

what ever you need to get on the ship, in new orleans, is all you need.

When you returned to the United States and went through customs...Did they ask to see your passport?

seashark is correct--see below:

From the NCL website FAQs:

Documentation, Visas and Passports

All guests must provide key personal information in advance of sailing. Guests may fill out the Online Check-In form.

Hawai'i Cruises

There's no need for a passport when you sail on any Hawai'i inter-island cruise. If your ship never sails beyond the islands of Hawai'i, all you need is a government-issued photo I.D. which includes a passport or a valid driver's license with a photo.

Vancouver Departures

Because travel to Canada may require crossing the U.S./Canadian border, you are required to carry a valid passport, U.S. passport card, U.S. or Canadian Enhanced Drivers License, or any other WHTI compliant document.

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska (SEATTLE), Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For closed-loop sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you need a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver's license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate, certificate of U.S. naturalization, original certificate of U.S. citizenship, or a U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad.

For open-jaw sailings (cruises that depart from one U.S. port and return to a different U.S. port), you are required to carry a valid passport, U.S. passport card, U.S. or Canadian Enhanced Drivers License, as well as have in your possession all relative visas that pertain to your travel itinerary. Permanent residents of the U.S. are required to carry their valid ARC cards for boarding AND passport from their country of citizenship, if available.

Note: If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air. To that end, NCL strongly recommends all guests to obtain a passport for their voyage on any NCL vessel.

Europe and South America Cruises

A valid passport is required and in some cases, a tourist visa is also required.

I am booked on this same cruise in March. As one of people in our group does not have a passport yet (although she has applied), I have been reading the information about closed-loop cruises and the necessity of passports. There seems to be different information everywhere you look.

Here is one site, the US Customs and Border Security (I was directed here from the US Dept of State, where you apply for passports):

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/closed_loop_faq.xml

As I read it, the route that the Spirit takes would not be considered a "closed loop" because it stops in Belize and Guatemala. When talking about a closed loop cruise, it mentions "contiguous territories" (Canada and Mexico) or "adjacent islands", and it specifically lists the Caribbean islands it applies to. If the cruise is not a closed loop one, you need a passport.

To the original poster, if I were you, I would get a passport or find someone who can answer your questions accurately. If you call the state department again, make sure they know all the stops the Spirit makes. Most Caribbean cruises would be closed loop, because they're usually in Mexico or the islands, so that may be why you were told you didn't need the passport.

Please don't rely on the information posted here. You're getting people's opinions, not facts. Even if someone states they were on the previous week with no passport, if the law requires one, you risk missing your vacation because NCL could suddenly start enforcing it.

Good luck!:)

It's mostly our own government that can't make up it's mind. they've announced multiple times that passports WOULD be required for something like this, then turned around and delayed implementation.

I would caution that the last time we took this exact cruise, about two and a half years ago, NCL's reps had the 80ish year old lady in front of us in tears until they found a supervisor who actually "knew" for sure what the actual regulation was at the time.

Nobody in NOLA knew any different than that passports were required for her to board, and it took a couple of calls from her TA to miami to get it sorted.

I am booked on this same cruise in March. As one of people in our group does not have a passport yet (although she has applied), I have been reading the information about closed-loop cruises and the necessity of passports. There seems to be different information everywhere you look.

Here is one site, the US Customs and Border Security (I was directed here from the US Dept of State, where you apply for passports):

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/closed_loop_faq.xml

As I read it, the route that the Spirit takes would not be considered a "closed loop" because it stops in Belize and Guatemala. When talking about a closed loop cruise, it mentions "contiguous territories" (Canada and Mexico) or "adjacent islands", and it specifically lists the Caribbean islands it applies to. If the cruise is not a closed loop one, you need a passport.

To the original poster, if I were you, I would get a passport or find someone who can answer your questions accurately. If you call the state department again, make sure they know all the stops the Spirit makes. Most Caribbean cruises would be closed loop, because they're usually in Mexico or the islands, so that may be why you were told you didn't need the passport.

Please don't rely on the information posted here. You're getting people's opinions, not facts. Even if someone states they were on the previous week with no passport, if the law requires one, you risk missing your vacation because NCL could suddenly start enforcing it.

Good luck!:)

Thank You (and you, StormCastle)....That is the point I've been trying to make.

The current (updated 12/3/09) info on the CBP site is definitive.

There are only four possible things that can happen:

1. Has a passport - - Does not need a passport = No problem
  2. Has a passport - - Does need a passport = No Problem
  3. Does not have a passport - - Does not need a passport = No problem
  4. Does not have a passport - - Does need a passport = PROBLEM

There is only one possible outcome that has a negative effect on the vacation...having the passport ensures that this problem will not occur.

Thank You (and you, StormCastle)....That is the point I've been trying to make.

The current (updated 12/3/09) info on the CBP site is definitive.

There are only four possible things that can happen:

1. Has a passport - - Does not need a passport = No problem
  2. Has a passport - - Does need a passport = No Problem
  3. Does not have a passport - - Does not need a passport = No problem
  4. Does not have a passport - - Does need a passport = PROBLEM

There is only one possible outcome that has a negative effect on the vacation...having the passport ensures that this problem will not occur.

No, not definitive and in fact there are other pages on the CBP site that do not read that way. For example:

https://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1139&p_created=1238714641&p_sid=sffeTCQj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjgsMjgmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWNsb3NlZCBsb29wIGNydWlzZQ!!&p_li=&p_topview=1

Question

I'm taking a "Closed Loop" cruise, do I need a passport?

Answer

Most cruises beginning and ending in the U.S. are considered "Closed Loop," meaning they begin and end at the same port in the U.S. For instance, if you board a cruise ship at Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and after visiting at least one foreign port of call, such as Bermuda, or Cancun, return back to Fort Lauderdale, you have taken a closed loop cruise.

If, on the other hand, you - say - board a cruise ship in San Diego, California, sail through the Panama Canal (stopping at a foreign port during the cruise), and end the cruise in Miami, Florida, you have not taken a closed loop cruise and the following information does not apply to you. As of June 1, 2009 you need a passport. (Even if you are an infant.)

U.S. and Canadian Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of your birth certificate and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID. The United States does not require you to have a passport. (A Consular report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State or a Certificate of Naturlization is also acceptable.)

HOWEVER, it is possible that one or more of the Caribbean Islands on your itinerary, does require you to have a passport to enter their country. In that case, it is very possible that the cruise line will require you to have a passport to board, even if it is not a U.S. requirement. You should always check with your cruise ship, travel agent and or destination country to confirm the requirements for entry into the foreign countries you will be visiting.

If you are a Legal Permanent Resident of the U.S., the U.S. government does not require you to have a passport for any travel, including air, land or sea travel, however, you are even more likely to be required by your destination country to have one. A Caribbean island that does not require a U.S. Citizen to have a passport, may require a U.S. LPR to have one, and a visa as well.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, Canadian citizen or a U.S. LPR, you will need a passport for any type of cruise, closed loop or not. If you are traveling under the Visa Waiver Program, your I-94W (immigration form) that you were issued when you first entered the U.S. can be used for re-entering the U.S. at the end of your cruise - as long as the cruise ends before your 90 day admission period has expired and you did not travel beyond adjacent islands or contiguous territory, and you were not outside the U.S. for more than 30 days. If the cruise takes you beyond that 90 day admission period, you will have to apply for a new admission, and you will have to convince the CBP Officer that you were not just taking the cruise in an attempt to circumvent the 90 day limit for VWP travelers.

Finally, if you are a VWP traveler who entered the U.S. by land from either Canada or Mexico, an ESTA is not required for re-entering the U.S. as a cruise ship passenger. ESTA is only required for travelers upon their initial arrival in the U.S. by air or sea.

And here's another page from CBP:

http://getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

There is an important reason why I quoted this information taken from Carnival's Web site in an earlier post. The advice published on various government sites is neither crystal clear nor consistent. So...Carnival...and no doubt the other cruise lines...asked for an interpretation of how the passport requirements were actually going to be enforced. This is the result:

Recent guidance received from the Department of Homeland Security indicates the documentary requirements under WHTI for “closed loop” cruises are not limited to cruises that travel only to contiguous territories or adjacent islands. This means U.S. citizens calling on ports in Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica and Belize will also be exempt from the passport requirement.

If you think about it from a commmon sense perspective, are Carnival, NCL and other cruise lines going to tell their passengers something that is conflict with DHS's rules?

No, not definitive and in fact there are other pages on the CBP site that do not read that way. For example:

https://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1139&p_created=1238714641&p_sid=sffeTCQj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjgsMjgmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWNsb3NlZCBsb29wIGNydWlzZQ!!&p_li=&p_topview=1

Question

I'm taking a "Closed Loop" cruise, do I need a passport?

Answer

Most cruises beginning and ending in the U.S. are considered "Closed Loop," meaning they begin and end at the same port in the U.S. For instance, if you board a cruise ship at Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and after visiting at least one foreign port of call, such as Bermuda, or Cancun, return back to Fort Lauderdale, you have taken a closed loop cruise.

If, on the other hand, you - say - board a cruise ship in San Diego, California, sail through the Panama Canal (stopping at a foreign port during the cruise), and end the cruise in Miami, Florida, you have not taken a closed loop cruise and the following information does not apply to you. As of June 1, 2009 you need a passport. (Even if you are an infant.)

U.S. and Canadian Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of your birth certificate and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID. The United States does not require you to have a passport. (A Consular report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State or a Certificate of Naturlization is also acceptable.)

HOWEVER, it is possible that one or more of the Caribbean Islands on your itinerary, does require you to have a passport to enter their country. In that case, it is very possible that the cruise line will require you to have a passport to board, even if it is not a U.S. requirement. You should always check with your cruise ship, travel agent and or destination country to confirm the requirements for entry into the foreign countries you will be visiting.

If you are a Legal Permanent Resident of the U.S., the U.S. government does not require you to have a passport for any travel, including air, land or sea travel, however, you are even more likely to be required by your destination country to have one. A Caribbean island that does not require a U.S. Citizen to have a passport, may require a U.S. LPR to have one, and a visa as well.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, Canadian citizen or a U.S. LPR, you will need a passport for any type of cruise, closed loop or not. If you are traveling under the Visa Waiver Program, your I-94W (immigration form) that you were issued when you first entered the U.S. can be used for re-entering the U.S. at the end of your cruise - as long as the cruise ends before your 90 day admission period has expired and you did not travel beyond adjacent islands or contiguous territory, and you were not outside the U.S. for more than 30 days. If the cruise takes you beyond that 90 day admission period, you will have to apply for a new admission, and you will have to convince the CBP Officer that you were not just taking the cruise in an attempt to circumvent the 90 day limit for VWP travelers.

Finally, if you are a VWP traveler who entered the U.S. by land from either Canada or Mexico, an ESTA is not required for re-entering the U.S. as a cruise ship passenger. ESTA is only required for travelers upon their initial arrival in the U.S. by air or sea.

The first thing you have to ask here is: "What is a closed-loop cruise?". The definition has been referenced at the CBP site, and is as follows: "Closed-loop cruises are defined as U.S. based cruises with itineraries that both originate and terminate in the United States, returning from contiguous territories or adjacent islands." The important part is the returning from contiguous territories or adjacent islands...which are all defined at the site. Unlike a Caribbean cruise, the cruise in question visits Belize and Guatemala neither of which are considered contiguous territories or adjacent islands. Therefore, this cannot be considered a "closed-loop" cruise.

Even your first highlighted line states: "Most cruises beginning and ending in the U.S. are considered "Closed Loop," Notice that it does not say "ALL" cruises....just MOST. So, if its not "all", what cruises that leave and return to the same US Port are not closed loop?

The entire posting you provided is only applicable to closed-loop cruises. Thus it doesn't apply in this case.

And here's another page from CBP:

http://getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Again with the definitions....Go back and read again. The "travel only within the Western Hemisphere" is the key part. This means that you can only stop at places covered by the WHTI...again, Belize and Guatemala are not a part of the WHTI, sot this does not apply in this case.

There is an important reason why I quoted this information taken from Carnival's Web site in an earlier post. The advice published on various government sites is neither crystal clear nor consistent. So...Carnival...and no doubt the other cruise lines...asked for an interpretation of how the passport requirements were actually going to be enforced. This is the result:

Recent guidance received from the Department of Homeland Security indicates the documentary requirements under WHTI for “closed loop” cruises are not limited to cruises that travel only to contiguous territories or adjacent islands. This means U.S. citizens calling on ports in Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica and Belize will also be exempt from the passport requirement.

If you think about it from a commmon sense perspective, are Carnival, NCL and other cruise lines going to tell their passengers something that is conflict with DHS's rules?

The information on Carnival's website is out-of-date and is based on a temporary relaxation of the rules back in the beginning of all of this that was outlined in a Houston Chronicle article in Feb of 2008 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/travel/4252841.html). Due to the confusion and delays in the new laws, Belize and Honduras both relaxed their passport requirements for cruise ship passengers till things were sorted out. However, there is still the visit to Guatemala to deal with.

The US Dept of State's site allows you to look up passport requirements for any country. The pages for both Belize and Guatemala both state that a passport is required.

In the end, the decision to take or not take a passport is the OPs. Not mine, not yours. Again...if the OP takes the passport, no matter what, they will get on the ship without a problem. However, if the OP does not take a passport, and it turns out that they need one...they are screwed.

Considering that there is no downside for the OP for taking a passport and that a possibility for disaster exists if they don't take one...Why are you advocating them going on vacation without the passport?

Slidell Mom,

Hopefully you know that we are all looking out for what is best for YOU. It is important that you have correct information since incorrect information will imact you in a negative manner...not the person who posts it.

If, when you contacted the Dept of State, you told them that you were going on a "Caribbean Cruise" they may have told you that you didn't need a passport because you indicated you were going to the "Caribbean".

You owe it to yourself...remember, it is YOUR vacation at risk....to call them back and tell them specifically that you will be on a cruise that visits Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala...and then ask them if you need the passport.

Whats the worst that could happen?

The first thing you have to ask here is: "What is a closed-loop cruise?". The definition has been referenced at the CBP site, and is as follows: "Closed-loop cruises are defined as U.S. based cruises with itineraries that both originate and terminate in the United States, returning from contiguous territories or adjacent islands." The important part is the returning from contiguous territories or adjacent islands...which are all defined at the site. Unlike a Caribbean cruise, the cruise in question visits Belize and Guatemala neither of which are considered contiguous territories or adjacent islands. Therefore, this cannot be considered a "closed-loop" cruise.

Even your first highlighted line states: "Most cruises beginning and ending in the U.S. are considered "Closed Loop," Notice that it does not say "ALL" cruises....just MOST. So, if its not "all", what cruises that leave and return to the same US Port are not closed loop?

The entire posting you provided is only applicable to closed-loop cruises. Thus it doesn't apply in this case.

Again with the definitions....Go back and read again. The "travel only within the Western Hemisphere" is the key part. This means that you can only stop at places covered by the WHTI...again, Belize and Guatemala are not a part of the WHTI, sot this does not apply in this case.

The information on Carnival's website is out-of-date and is based on a temporary relaxation of the rules back in the beginning of all of this that was outlined in a Houston Chronicle article in Feb of 2008 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/travel/4252841.html). Due to the confusion and delays in the new laws, Belize and Honduras both relaxed their passport requirements for cruise ship passengers till things were sorted out. However, there is still the visit to Guatemala to deal with.

The US Dept of State's site allows you to look up passport requirements for any country. The pages for both Belize and Guatemala both state that a passport is required.

In the end, the decision to take or not take a passport is the OPs. Not mine, not yours. Again...if the OP takes the passport, no matter what, they will get on the ship without a problem. However, if the OP does not take a passport, and it turns out that they need one...they are screwed.

Considering that there is no downside for the OP for taking a passport and that a possibility for disaster exists if they don't take one...Why are you advocating them going on vacation without the passport?

I'm only going to comment on a couple of things you said because I don't care to spend the rest of the night arguing this:

(1) Western Hemisphere is not the same as WHTI. There are countries in the Western Hemisphere that are not part of the WHTI, as we both know. So when I quote something from CBP that uses the words "Western Hemisphere" rather than "WHTI countries" or similar, I have to assume that phrase means Western Hemisphere as it is commonly understood.

(2) On the "most cruises are closed loop cruises" issue, you conveniently ignored the example given by CBP of what was not a closed loop cruise...a cruise that started in one US city such as LA, went through the Panama Canal, and ended in Miami.

(3) Your comment about the Carnival site being out of date and supporting it with a 2008 article has no merit, because the final rules were only put into effect on June 1, 2009. The 2008 article in fact did not have the correct rules as finally adopted and included speculation as to what changes might be made:

Q. Will I eventually need a passport or passport card to cruise to Mexico and the Caribbean? If so, when?

A. That question leaves many in the travel industry shaking their heads in bewilderment. According to current law, yes, it will be required, but the timetable has been pushed back multiple times. Original plans were to require passports for all cruises in 2007. That was amended by the 2007 Homeland Security Appropriations Bill, which mandated that the rules on land and sea travel go into effect no earlier than Jan. 1, 2008, but as late as June 1, 2009. New legislation, signed by President Bush in December 2007, now stipulates that the passport requirement for cruising and land border crossings cannot be implemented until the summer of 2009.

Many observers, myself included, believe that the requirement to present a passport or passport card may be waived entirely for cruises that start and end in U.S. ports. But that's not certain. It's wise to keep appraised of any new developments.

(4) Most importantly, I never advocated their going without a passport. I wrote the first response to the OP's question. Here's exactly what I said in that response (post #2 on this thread):

That is correct...only an original or certified copy of your birth certificate plus a government-issued photo ID such as a drivers license is required for your "closed loop" cruise. However it is better to have a passport as one is required should an emergency or other unforeseen circumstance arise and you need to fly home from a foreign port.

Not to continue a debate, but Jeez, you have enough time, and it's not that expensive. Get the passports. It can't hurt. Many Post Offices have "passport days" on Saturday, where they'll take the picture, guide you through the process, and file the paperwork. My wifes took 3 weeks. Mine, I found out that what I thought was my Birth Certificate didn't count, it looked all official, but was issued by the hospital where I was born, not a government. I had to apply to the county of my birth for a legal one. I'd have been screwed if I had tried to use what I had for travel.

Not to continue a debate, but Jeez, you have enough time, and it's not that expensive. Get the passports. It can't hurt. Many Post Offices have "passport days" on Saturday, where they'll take the picture, guide you through the process, and file the paperwork. My wifes took 3 weeks. Mine, I found out that what I thought was my Birth Certificate didn't count, it looked all official, but was issued by the hospital where I was born, not a government. I had to apply to the county of my birth for a legal one. I'd have been screwed if I had tried to use what I had for travel.

My wife had the same Birth Certificate problem, we only found out that it was not official enought b/c we moved and she needed to get a new drivers liscense. There is a website that can get you the official BC in a couple days.

As I said earlier, we are only one incident away from needing passports to travel abroad including sailing on cruises abroad. I highly recommend everyone get a passport when they can afford one. Its my opinion 90 percent of Americans can afford a passport. And of the ten percent who can't afford a passport, maybe they shouldn't be traveling abroad. Even those who can't afford a passport can save some each month and should be able to afford one within a year, if they really have to travel abroad...

I find it amusing that soooo many low and middle class Americans can't afford passports, yet, soooo many poor Americans can and do use their passports to cross our borders... One should look upon the investment of a passport no differently than investing in a drivers license...

It is amazing how much incorrect information you provide people, and how even though numerous posters have proven you incorrect you insist on being correct. But in answer to your question Yes I do, Including a link to the CBP web site:

Do you also want to explain the info on this site, at the CBP:

because to me, it seems like Belize and Guatemala are not included when talking about a 'closed loop'.

From the CBP site dated 12/09

Closed Loop Voyages- Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:

(12/03/2009)A “closed loop” voyage or itinerary occurs when a vessel departs from a U.S. port or place and returns to the same U.S. port upon completion of the voyage. Travelers on “closed loop” voyages are not subject to the same documentary requirements for entry to the United States as other travelers.

Q: Is this definition the same as what is being used for the modified processing of cruise passengers? A: No. The definition was further refined to be in compliance with our statute and regulations.

Q: What is the definition of closed loop in the context of modified processing of cruise passengers? A: Closed-loop cruises are defined as U.S. based cruises with itineraries that both originate and terminate in the United States, returning from contiguous territories or adjacent islands.

Q: What does contiguous territories or adjacent islands mean?

A: Contiguous Territories are any country sharing a common boundary with the United States. Canada and Mexico are contiguous to the United States.

Adjacent Islands as follows: Anguilla, Antigua, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Barbuda, Bermuda, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, the Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Jamaica, Marie-Galantine, Martinique, Miquelon, Montserrat, Saba, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Christopher, Saint Eustatius, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Maarten, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre, Saint Vincent and Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, and other British, French and Netherlands territory or possessions bordering on the Caribbean Sea.

Q: How was it determined that these locations are “Adjacent Islands”? A: Adjacent Islands are defined by statutes and regulation. (Immigration and Nationality Act § 101(b)(5) and 8 Code of Federal Regulations §286.1).

Q: Why was the “contiguous territories or adjacent islands” added to the definition of “closed loop” for modified processing of cruise passengers? A: The modified processing of cruise passengers includes utilizing the I-94W issued as a multiple use document for the readmission of VWP visitors after departure to contiguous territory or adjacent islands. See 8 C.F.R. § 217.3(b).

Unquote

Big Green

Just to let everyone know, I will be getting passports! My only reason for not wanting to get them is because I was worried with the time frame. I really don't want to pay to have them expedited. I do have a little over 6 weeks though, so hopefully I won't have any problems!

Just to let everyone know, I will be getting passports! My only reason for not wanting to get them is because I was worried with the time frame. I really don't want to pay to have them expedited. I do have a little over 6 weeks though, so hopefully I won't have any problems!

Just go to the main Post Office in Old Town, knock on the window and tell them what you need, No problems. They even take your picture.(Ours[pictures] did not turn out so good, but who cares.

Still doing research on cruises during Mardi Gras week, but the NCL Spirt looks really good cost wise.

JimmyJames

We did this several years ago, when it appeared that passports would be required.

Archived