QM2 - formal evenings

chriswat

We are embarking in Sydney for the March/April 2010 QM2 cruise to Capetown. We are in Queens Grill cabins. We note from our Cunard information that there are 8 formal evenings, 5 semi formal and 4 elegant casual dress codes. Information seems to indicate that tuxedo or dark suit required for the formal evenings......and a jacket for all other evenings!!

This seems a trifle excessive. The cruise ends in Capetown and we are off on a safari to Kenya and a couple of days at Victoria Falls. I can only imagine how much luggage my husband will need for the cruise (all those suits and jackets) - only to lug them around South Africa. Plus excess luggage for flying Jo'Burg, Singapore to Adelaide.

Presumably we will eat in the Queens Grill dining room for most of the evening meals. Any advice on how formal the Q.G. dining room is would be appreciated and do we have to stick with the jackets for all meals.

We are embarking in Sydney for the March/April 2010 QM2 cruise to Capetown. We are in Queens Grill cabins. We note from our Cunard information that there are 8 formal evenings, 5 semi formal and 4 elegant casual dress codes. Information seems to indicate that tuxedo or dark suit required for the formal evenings......and a jacket for all other evenings!!

This seems a trifle excessive. The cruise ends in Capetown and we are off on a safari to Kenya and a couple of days at Victoria Falls. I can only imagine how much luggage my husband will need for the cruise (all those suits and jackets) - only to lug them around South Africa. Plus excess luggage for flying Jo'Burg, Singapore to Adelaide.

Presumably we will eat in the Queens Grill dining room for most of the evening meals. Any advice on how formal the Q.G. dining room is would be appreciated and do we have to stick with the jackets for all meals.

What a wonderful cruise! And to be in Queen's Grill will make it even more special. You are correct that a jacket is required every evening in the dining room on the QM2. However, your husband could easily be well dressed each night by bringing one tuxedo, one dark suit, and one sports coat. If you are really limited in your packing he could bring one dark suit and one sports coat. He can bring several shirts and ties to change the look somewhat. He can take advantage of the dry cleaning and laundry services on the ship if needed. Enjoy your voyage.

Beth

What a wonderful cruise! And to be in Queen's Grill will make it even more special. You are correct that a jacket is required every evening in the dining room on the QM2. However, your husband could easily be well dressed each night by bringing one tuxedo, one dark suit, and one sports coat. If you are really limited in your packing he could bring one dark suit and one sports coat. He can bring several shirts and ties to change the look somewhat. He can take advantage of the dry cleaning and laundry services on the ship if needed. Enjoy your voyage.

Beth

You need to bring only 1 tux for formal evenings and a sports coat for all the other. On semi formal the sports coat and tie work fine and on elegant casual a sports coat without tie is appropriate. I am on the Holiday cruise now and in Queens Grill and the dark suit was not needed.

Who are you trying to kid, your husband? How much luggage you will need more like:D:D We have cruised a number of time on QM2, normally in Brittania Restaurant but non the less we always dress for dinner, black or white tux plus a suit plus jacket and trousers, my wife takes several dresses and luckilly for us we have yet to exceed our baggage allowance on aircraft trips. The cleaning service aboard QM2 is excellent. As regards formallity, I would expect QG to be as per dress code for the day as are all restaurants on QM2, I have yet to be on a cruise and it not be so, even a short 2 night cruise we took. The dress codes are formal-tux or dark suit, semi formal-jacket with tie and informal is jacket with or without tie. Enjoy your cruise.

It is somewhat of a mistake to think of the dress code only in terms of the dining rooms. On QM2 the majority of the people adhere to the dress code all evening, not just in the dining rooms. In other words, most people do not put on their formal wear for dinner and then go back to the cabin and change immediately thereafter. Thus, while one can avoid dressing for dinner by eating in the King's Court, one will feel out of place in the public rooms if one does not adhere to the dress codes.

I do not think that the dress code is excessive. Formality is part of what QM2 is all about.

There are quite a few ships that do world cruises and which are informal. Thus, if one is concerned about the formality on QM2, there are alternatives.

However, defyng the dress code is not an alternative. The vast majority of the passengers on QM2 are seeking that formality and it is not fair to them when people do not adhere to the dress code.

You need to bring only 1 tux for formal evenings and a sports coat for all the other. On semi formal the sports coat and tie work fine and on elegant casual a sports coat without tie is appropriate. I am on the Holiday cruise now and in Queens Grill and the dark suit was not needed.

Absolutely spot on Bob. Thank you.

Jackie :)

I am once more becoming very confused here, in particular with the dress code on cunard ships.

So many differences of opinions, some quite personal opinions in fact.

It appears that the grade of cabin that you book reflects the so called dress code.

Am l to believe that if l book a grill cabin l will be expected to dress better than those who book a lower cabin grade.

Now not sure that the cunard line is for us.

Sophia

It appears that the grade of cabin that you book reflects the so called dress code.

Am l to believe that if l book a grill cabin l will be expected to dress better than those who book a lower cabin grade.

Sophia

The dress code applies to the ship's main restaurants, i.e. Britannia and the two Grills restaurants.

More information here:

http://www.cunard.co.uk/FAQ/faq.asp?Cat=&View=ViewArticle&Mode=News&ContentID=2961&LeftNav=&Active=&Sub=&OB=&ArticleID=4

Do not get confused. The dress code is the same independent of the cabin you travel in or the restaurant where you dine.

The dress code is effective from 6pm, not only in dinning rooms, but in all public rooms (sans the King's Court).

You might put it this way: Everybody is expected to dress as nicely as if he travelled in Queens Grill.

(Just maybe less expensive :-) )

I am once more becoming very confused here, in particular with the dress code on cunard ships.

So many differences of opinions, some quite personal opinions in fact.

Sophia

Sophia, the dress code is the same for everyone on the ship. It doesn't matter which cabin you book. If you are booked in a grill cabin, you are expected to follow the dress code each night - nothing more and nothing less. It is a lovely experience to stroll the halls of the ship and see everyone dressed up each evening.

What are your concerns?

Beth

Hi! We did a similar trip last year, but the other way around. We went to Vic Falls, then we did a safari in Zambia, and finally went on the QE2. We were only allowed 15lbs of luggage each because of the internal flights in Zambia.

My husband managed very well on the QE2 with his tuxedo and one sports coat. We needed to get them both cleaned when we got on board as they were quite crumpled after 3 weeks in his duffel bag, but everything worked well. He had a couple of shirts which were easy to wash, and a selection of ties, and always looked OK. We had absolutely no problem with the dress code, and loved every minute of it!

He wore his khaki safari pants or shorts during the day, and that also worked. You can travel in style for both the bush and Cunard on 15lbs of luggage!

Do join the QM2 Roll Call on the Roll Call page.:)

And beware of white water rafting on the Zambezi when you are at the Falls!

Lesley

I am also surprised that you weren't aware of the dress code situation on QM2 before your booked. We are cruising from Hong Kong to Sydney on the World Cruise and we

are looking forward to the 12 formal nights on our sector. I think your husband could manage well with a dark suit, sports jacket and various ties. In my opinion, the male attire is less complicated & than the females.

Lorraine

You are very lucky that you travel on Cunard if you have luggage restrictions. It is the most convenient cruise line when it comes to male dressing.

On every other cruise line I had to pack a variety of clothing for casual nights, allocating much space of the suitcase. But on Cunard you only pack a tuxedo and a dark suit. The first is for formal nights. You use the last with a tie for semi-formal nights, and without a tie for elegant casual nights. Just take a few ties to change. That's all about dressing after 06:00 pm.

One could even avoid taking a tuxedo, if more space is needed. Take only a dark suit and use it with a tie for formal nights, too. It will be just fine.

Plenty of space remains in my suitcase when travelling on Cunard, to the delight of my DP, who thus uses it for her own needs.;)

Chriswat, unless I missed it, you didn't mention your formal wear, just your husband's. So, in case that is an issue also, just to let you know that we recently returned from a Cunard cruise attached to a 5 week European trip. For myself, I packed 1 pair of dress shoes, a black formal skirt, 2 formal tops. If you don't mind, I think that is all you will need.

There are other options too - (1) come cruiselines rent formal wear to the passengers; don't know if Cunard does, and (2) after the cruise, ship your cruise clothes home, and (3) buy inexpensive clothing & then donate the clothing (research in advance) before switching to your 15lb limit travel.

Sounds like a wonderful trip. You got me to thinking - hmmmm. I need to check into a safari for us! :D

It is somewhat of a mistake to think of the dress code only in terms of the dining rooms. On QM2 the majority of the people adhere to the dress code all evening, not just in the dining rooms. In other words, most people do not put on their formal wear for dinner and then go back to the cabin and change immediately thereafter. Thus, while one can avoid dressing for dinner by eating in the King's Court, one will feel out of place in the public rooms if one does not adhere to the dress codes.

I do not think that the dress code is excessive. Formality is part of what QM2 is all about.

There are quite a few ships that do world cruises and which are informal. Thus, if one is concerned about the formality on QM2, there are alternatives.

However, defyng the dress code is not an alternative. The vast majority of the passengers on QM2 are seeking that formality and it is not fair to them when people do not adhere to the dress code.

Absolutely spot on old bean! Might I just confirm that dress codes are applicable "ship-wide" as stated in the daily programme.....

Pip-Pip!

Many thanks to for the replies to my original question above. Most enlightening replies. We enjoyed the photos from Coolcat and this cemented our minds that we need to take a tuxedo, with perhaps a dark yachting jacket with high quality trousers and a variety of ties.

Many thanks to for the replies to my original question above. Most enlightening replies. We enjoyed the photos from Coolcat and this cemented our minds that we need to take a tuxedo, with perhaps a dark yachting jacket with high quality trousers and a variety of ties.

That sounds perfect! Enjoy your trip, and do join the QM2 World Cruise 2010 roll call on the Cunard Roll Call site.

QM2 is about to head off on her World Cruise!:)

Spot on; but don't forget the shirts!

Regards

I think you have made a wonderful decision. Your husband should be dressed perfectly for every evening. Enjoy!

Beth

Archived