Reflections on Rebranding

Project_gal

I followed the threads on the rebranding to Azamara Club Cruises with interest but did not contribute at the time. However, we have been reflecting on the changes over the holiday period and there seems to be one aspect that I do not think has been discussed so far.

We sailed in a Penthouse Suite on Quest from Singapore to Athens in April/May 2009 and are booked in the same suite for a SE Asian cruise in February 2011. The space [for living, entertaining and storage] and the view leaning on the balcony made this a good choice for us. However, unlike the Celebrity Suites on Millennium class ships, the Azamara Penthouse Suite [sorry, Club World Owners Suites – is anyone really going to call them that?] has no wow-factor. The décor, furnishings, layout and bathrooms were a distinct disappointment. The overall décor is bland and looks like a 3* hotel chain room. Although there is ample storage, there is no walk-in closet [despite the website STILL claiming that there is] and the finish on the woodwork is cheap and nasty. Much of the furniture is fixed and laid-out with little imagination. There is no separate shower cubicle. There is no door between the bedroom and living areas…

In our view, these things could be rectified but Azamara would have to do this before we would ever consider paying the new prices. Currently and at today’s exchange rate, the price of our next Azamara cruise is about $240 per day more that we are paying. Even allowing for gratuities, speciality dining, wine, etc., we would expect a higher standard of accommodation before considering paying that much extra. We are not familiar with the other Azamara suites and staterooms but it seems unlikely that they are better appointed than the Penthouse Suites.

Incidentally, I see from the website that Asia to Europe repositioning cruise has now been split into two 12-day cruises. Although I can understand why this may have been done, IMHO this is such a disappointment. Somehow, the two cruises B2B could never be the same as the magical 24-day cruise we took. I am so glad that we did it when we did.

Incidentally, I see from the website that Asia to Europe repositioning cruise has now been split into two 12-day cruises. Although I can understand why this may have been done, IMHO this is such a disappointment. Somehow, the two cruises B2B could never be the same as the magical 24-day cruise we took. I am so glad that we did it when we did.

There seems to be a lot of cruises now split into 7 nights (in Europe) and this is obvious because they feel they can command more money this way at $2,500.00pp or so for the lowest level Verandah (which again are now closer to $5K for the 14 night cruises). Azamara is going after the European market.

There seems to be a lot of cruises now split into 7 nights (in Europe) and this is obvious because they feel they can command more money this way at $2,500.00pp or so for the lowest level Verandah (which again are now closer to $5K for the 14 night cruises). Azamara is going after the European market.

I agree but think there is also another consideration. Azamara has mentioned that in an "ideal world", their demographic would be 45-60 yrs. old with a 300K per yr. income. Those people are going to be professionals, business owners, entrepreneurs, and generally people with active lifestyles who are not yet ready for retirement and leisure cruising. They are people to whom "time is money," and they want to make the most of their vacation time AND they want options.

By breaking cruising up into 7-day segments with differing itineraries, Azamara can not only get the maximum dollar, they also offer the opportunity to combine segments to suit individual tastes. It's not like signing on to a 20-30 day voyage because you want to see one specific area of the world and really don't care about several of the ports. Busy, active people aren't interested in this type of cruising. Instead, Azamara is offering a smorgasbord of cruising.....pick and choose the segments that hold the most interest and forget about the "filler" ports.

I think it shows innovation and could be a good move, but these are uncertain days....and we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Busy, active people aren't interested in this type of cruising. Instead, Azamara is offering a smorgasbord of cruising.....pick and choose the segments that hold the most interest and forget about the "filler" ports.

I think it shows innovation and could be a good move, but these are uncertain days....and we'll just have to see how it plays out.

This is what SilverSea does.

This year it still be 24days

Waiting for that.....

I agree but think there is also another consideration. Azamara has mentioned that in an "ideal world", their demographic would be 45-60 yrs. old with a 300K per yr. income. Those people are going to be professionals, business owners, entrepreneurs, and generally people with active lifestyles who are not yet ready for retirement and leisure cruising. They are people to whom "time is money," and they want to make the most of their vacation time AND they want options.

By breaking cruising up into 7-day segments with differing itineraries, Azamara can not only get the maximum dollar, they also offer the opportunity to combine segments to suit individual tastes. It's not like signing on to a 20-30 day voyage because you want to see one specific area of the world and really don't care about several of the ports. Busy, active people aren't interested in this type of cruising. Instead, Azamara is offering a smorgasbord of cruising.....pick and choose the segments that hold the most interest and forget about the "filler" ports.

This actually fits us and when I mean us, I'm talking about DH and myself. When I cruise with my mom it's now reached the staged of leisure cruising with bonding time.

Our careers and the lack of vacation time given by US employers (compared to the rest of the world) doesn't always allow for 30 day voyages and it becomes VERY hard to justify them if we've already been to 1/2 the ports when we've done our land travel.

DH and I like the idea of 7 day cruise that will take us to logistically and financially tough ports to reach with longer port times.

These 7 day cruises allow us to combine with land travel to countries not on water.

Now of course I've said all this...most of you know we are doing a 24 day B2B next year. BUT it's because of the unique itineraries, extended port times rarely offered, and in 11 months..so we have plenty of time to work

excessive amount of hours to compensate for time off!! :D

In the future we would love to see a cruise to Malta, Tunisia, Libya, Jordan, Gibralter, Morroco...that would really solve a few travel logistics for us!

I followed the threads on the rebranding to Azamara Club Cruises with interest but did not contribute at the time. However, we have been reflecting on the changes over the holiday period and there seems to be one aspect that I do not think has been discussed so far.

We sailed in a Penthouse Suite on Quest from Singapore to Athens in April/May 2009 and are booked in the same suite for a SE Asian cruise in February 2011. The space [for living, entertaining and storage] and the view leaning on the balcony made this a good choice for us. However, unlike the Celebrity Suites on Millennium class ships, the Azamara Penthouse Suite [sorry, Club World Owners Suites – is anyone really going to call them that?] has no wow-factor. The décor, furnishings, layout and bathrooms were a distinct disappointment. The overall décor is bland and looks like a 3* hotel chain room. Although there is ample storage, there is no walk-in closet [despite the website STILL claiming that there is] and the finish on the woodwork is cheap and nasty. Much of the furniture is fixed and laid-out with little imagination. There is no separate shower cubicle. There is no door between the bedroom and living areas…

In our view, these things could be rectified but Azamara would have to do this before we would ever consider paying the new prices. Currently and at today’s exchange rate, the price of our next Azamara cruise is about $240 per day more that we are paying. Even allowing for gratuities, speciality dining, wine, etc., we would expect a higher standard of accommodation before considering paying that much extra. We are not familiar with the other Azamara suites and staterooms but it seems unlikely that they are better appointed than the Penthouse Suites.

I agree with you totally on this one. We also stayed in a penthouse last year. For them now to be calling it Club World Owner's Suite is a bit far fetched. A true Owner's Suite on another ship cannot compare.

Interesting post from Project_gal. We have just completed an 18 day SE Asia cruise on the Quest. Suite 8088 "Penthouse' was our choice. Here are our comments of Azamara, as we chose the trip based on the itinerary (which was really very good) rather than the line (which was out first Azamara after many cruises with alternatives. Not wanting to make a big deal of it, but this suite is the most expensive on the ship, and you would expect some benefits in general treatment, yet it remained difficult to get specialty restaurant bookings (my experience was other lines always hold tables back for suite guests) and MDR tables required careful negotiation with the staff to get quiet tables if dining in 2's.

Initial impressions were of a pleasant, small, ship. As this ship design is widely used by other lines, however, it's layout does not seem quite so inspired, grouping all eating for example in the aft of the ship which may be unpleasant in poor sea conditions. Decor done to resemble an English Tea Room in public areas, compact but not expected to be crowded with only 600+ passengers. Suite was spacious, and bathroom very nice with full jacuzzi, etc (but no separate shower requiring some agility to step into the tub!). Good closet space, but beds low, needing these to be lifted to stow suitcases which is pretty silly. Carpets, trim etc felt somewhat worn - country hotel vs. 5 star. Verandah area is immense and great for entertaining BUT NOTE it gets covered in soot and paint flakes after a day at sea and although stateroom service was exemplary, it was NEVER cleaned without special request. Beware cleaning bills if you sit out at night without pre-cleaning all surfaces!!! I would however caution anyone that the 8th floor penthouses (Club World Suites) are plagued by noise from the cafe above as they drag chairs and tables over the deck from 7 in the morning. Not really acceptable on this ship class.

Butler staff on our cruise, headed by a tall butler named Zoran was faultless at all times.

After complimenting the stateroom and butler service however, the overall experience then simply goes downhill compared to other 'premium' lines. Serving free 'house wine' will be insufficient to overcome the generally disappointing food throughout our trip. With very limited exceptions, food was uninspiring, poorly seasoned and presented only acceptably. Oddly, the MDR may have been better than speciality restaurants. The latter have never changed their menus in the 2 years Azamara has been in existence, and are way below the standards of competitors. In fact, Princess would beat them on service and food EVERY time in these restaurants.

The best way to describe service is 'relaxed'. There were exceptions in dining and wine staff, but on the whole, you get an impression of people doing a job, not really focused on your needs. And, unlike any cruise we have ever used, you'd better plan meal times - incredibly short hours of operation for breakfast, lunches etc and no thought to modifying these to reflect itineraries.

Shore excursion staff were useless, excepting the Cruise Director Luc. His knowledge is locked in his own head and he doesn't educate his staff at all on destinations, processes, etc. I've never encountered more frustrated passengers than on this trip!

Entertainment is naturally limited on a ship of this size, and is 'in the eye of the beholder'. However certain things are worth mentioning. One is the 'art auction', which was hopeless. Not entertaining, nor informative, nor had any interesting pieces to acquire. Very 2nd rate. For some folks they kill time with fun, others buy. This did neither. Other entertainment was distinctly spotty, and there were not first rate acts at all. You knew most would be in dingy 2nd rate clubs on shore.

Officers and the Captain were always extremely pleasant, but you consistently get the impression that they are not engaged with creating excellence. In any other ship (even on bigger ones like the Grand family of Princess) you would regularly see the Maitre'd, Food and Beverage Director etc strolling the restaurants, overseeing activity and speaking with guests. On this ship they were invisible except at Captain's dinner table!

Finally, we were surprised by how badly affected this ship was by relatively small sea/wind conditions. We've done Force 9 Transatlantic gales on others and were shocked by the level of porpoising and roll in even light to moderate sea/wind conditions on a couple of sea days.

So, in summary, nice stateroom and butler service, disappointing food/dining services and overall service would be below standard for a 'luxury' experience. Certainly not a Seabourn experience - and frankly not as good as our experiences with Princess

As others have said, most things are in the eye of the beholder. However, I must point out that many of the things mentioned above differed considerably from our own experiences on the Quest cruise from Athens to Singapore that preceded the one taken by stonystratford. We had no difficulty in obtaining bookings for the specialty restaurants (and we were not in a suite), and found the food magnificent in both Prime C and Aquilina. Admittedly, we had a lot more sea days, but on other occasions found that the main dining room and buffet had hours that fitted in nicely with the needs of passengers returning from shore excursions. The Maitre'D and his assistants were in constant attendance in the various dining venues...in fact the Maitre'D was the person who welcomed passengers to the main dining room every evening we dined there. Perhaps there had been some changes in the makeup of the Shore Excursions staff, but we found Luke and his colleagues on our trip to be knowledgable and helpful. Entertainment is certainly a matter of personal taste, but on our cruise most of the acts were very good, and the Cruise Director was a real entertainer.

Just goes to show that different people can see things in quite a different light.

Nevernever

As others have said, most things are in the eye of the beholder. However, I must point out that many of the things mentioned above differed considerably from our own experiences on the Quest cruise from Athens to Singapore that preceded the one taken by stonystratford. We had no difficulty in obtaining bookings for the specialty restaurants (and we were not in a suite), and found the food magnificent in both Prime C and Aquilina. Admittedly, we had a lot more sea days, but on other occasions found that the main dining room and buffet had hours that fitted in nicely with the needs of passengers returning from shore excursions. The Maitre'D and his assistants were in constant attendance in the various dining venues...in fact the Maitre'D was the person who welcomed passengers to the main dining room every evening we dined there. Perhaps there had been some changes in the makeup of the Shore Excursions staff, but we found Luke and his colleagues on our trip to be knowledgable and helpful. Entertainment is certainly a matter of personal taste, but on our cruise most of the acts were very good, and the Cruise Director was a real entertainer.

Just goes to show that different people can see things in quite a different light.

Nevernever

Hi Nevernever !

Thanks for your excellent post. As I have said for years, these are our opinions, and should be used for reference, not to make final decisions on whether to choose a ship/line. I've been on many cruises, where I have seen two totally opposite reviews. It happens. Some choose to make the best of a disappointing situation, and others choose to make the worst of a good situation. It's what makes the world go round.

I'm definitely a glass is half full person, and always try to make a poor situation turn into a positive one...... but that's just me. I spend a great deal money of hard earned money, to go on Cruises, (as we all do) and I am determined to have a great time, no matter what. I always feel that a day on a Cruise is better than a day at work !

Just my .03 cents (adjusted due to inflation fears) :)

Dear Stony...

I realize this is your 1st post and I wish you had found Cruise Critic sooner.

Many of us could have shared with you the configuration of the ship and had you pull out the brochure or info online and gone over step by step what you would experience with your cabin choice.

Since you mentioned you sailed with Princess, those of

us on the Princess board would have been more than willing to give you information on the Azamara ship layout as it is the same as the little Princess' and those of us that have sailed on them LOVE THEM. There's several regular posters

over there that stay in your cabin exclusively when they travel

I can tell you unequivically that the Princess Suites are not as nice as the Azamara Suites in decor, and yes on the baby Princess' you do hear the buffet chairs moving around and you did get the soot...this isn't an Azamara problem this is the nature of sailing on a small ship..Even if you were on the Prinsendam with Holland America you would have similar issues and the lineage of that ship is from the old traditional Royal Viking Line....which is what cruising use to be like...not these maritime monstrosities..

As you are well aware there is a HUMONGOUS difference in every single manner between a Grand Class Princess ship and the Pacific Princess/Azamara Cruise Line.

Whether you are on Azamara or Princess (Pacific, Ocean or Royal) the tables for 2 are mighty close together. This isn't just an AZ issue...I know this for a fact because I've spent countless weeks on the Pacific Princess which is in the same lineage as AZ from Renaissance. The great thing

about AZ is you can move to another table or come at

a different time. On the little Princess' they still do

traditional dining, there is no anytime dining.

I think if you had mentioned to anyone on the Princess boards or here we would have shared with you how these ships ride and could of let you know in advance.

While we appreciate your personal feedback,

since you have now discovered CruiseCritic,

(the Critic part of the name can be a bit deceiving on what the true purpose of this website is....)

I hope you will use it as tool in the future..

We are here to help you when it comes cruise line experiences, resources in planing your ports. Many of us are type A personalitys when it comes to planning not only for our plan A while exploring, but plans B,C, D, E,etc

when nothing goes as planned.

At the same, we rely on people sharing their knowledge..

(it keeps your travel karma sky high)

I hope you find a ship that matches your needs.

K

Good closet space, but beds low, needing these to be lifted to stow suitcases which is pretty silly.

Certainly not a Seabourn experience.

Who stores suitcases under a bed - especially in the most expensive suite on the ship? Your butler should have removed them and returned them the night before you disembarked. That's what he always does with ours.

Not a Seabourn experience? Of course not. Azamara is not positioned as a luxury cruise line.

Your experience of Azamara seems to be vastly different from the majority of people who post on Cruise Critic. I wonder where you got the impression that Azamara is a luxury cruise line. Did you do any research? Do you use a good travel agent? This misperception should have been cleared up fairly easily. If I had been expecting a Seabourn experience at Azamara prices I guess I would have been disappointed too.

Our butler told us that he would store our suitcases during the cruise. He also had a broken wheel on a case fixed. On the last day of the cruise, our butler asked us when we would like to pack and offered not only to get our suitcases but to help pack. I like to pack myself. When my cases were packed, the butler removed them from the cabin. I never had to lift any case...none of those suitcases lined up in the hallway.

Alright Wheretonext,

I am taking the bait! I had a wonderful experience on the Noordam Superior Suite cabin on a 20 day Mediterranean cruise. I am now looking at Celebrity, Crystal, Princess and Azamara for a Baltic vacation. I like the fact that Azamara has two overnights in St. Petersburg. Being a Floridian, I question whether a balcony will be useful since it appears the temperatures will be chilly (50's - 60's) in the May to July timeframe. I like the idea of the small ship concept of Azamara. I would also like to upgrade my cruise experience from Holland America - although I was very impressed with the cabin, service and food with HAL - with the exception of the "baked" goods. Any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated. I am looking to travel this year. Thanks in advance.

Alright Wheretonext,

I am taking the bait! I had a wonderful experience on the Noordam Superior Suite cabin on a 20 day Mediterranean cruise.

I would also like to upgrade my cruise experience from Holland America - although I was very impressed with the cabin, service and food with HAL - with the exception of the "baked" goods.

Just wanted to say that we did the "20 day" round trip from Rome on HAL BUT over a 2 year period. In 2007 we did the 10 night West on Westerdam and in 2008 the East Med on the Noordam. I think it is the best itinerary over a 20 night period of all the cruise lines we looked at and Rome is our favorite city. And to WheretoNext HAL's itinerary included both Malta and Tunesia :) In fact, I'd have to rate Malta as my favorite port on those HAL round trips from Rome.

I have news for you regarding the "food". We were on SiverSea last summer and thought the food on HAL was overall better. So, "premium"/"mass market" or "Luxury" it all depends on who is cooking that night.

Alright Wheretonext,

I am taking the bait! I had a wonderful experience on the Noordam Superior Suite cabin on a 20 day Mediterranean cruise. I am now looking at Celebrity, Crystal, Princess and Azamara for a Baltic vacation. I like the fact that Azamara has two overnights in St. Petersburg. Being a Floridian, I question whether a balcony will be useful since it appears the temperatures will be chilly (50's - 60's) in the May to July timeframe. I like the idea of the small ship concept of Azamara. I would also like to upgrade my cruise experience from Holland America - although I was very impressed with the cabin, service and food with HAL - with the exception of the "baked" goods. Any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated. I am looking to travel this year. Thanks in advance.

Hi!

Well, I've done 3 Baltic Cruises....

the itinerary is the most important. Specifically, go for the length of stay in St. Petersburg.

On this itinerary you will be on sensory overload. There is soooooo much to take in physically and mentally.

Because the itineraries are so intensive I don't think a suite or even a balcony is necessary...

many of the ports are very industrial. Keep in mind it will stay light, almost all night so that can affect your sleep

(pack clothes pins/binder clips for the drapes

Let me say, they are MANY itineraries throughout the world that I would never book anything less than a balcony.

The Baltic is not one of them. However, if you have the money and like the space I say go for it..but for scenic

viewing...this is where I would save those pennies. Also, if you can swing a B2B on this itinerary

I would HIGHLY (that should be size 72 font) recommend it

However, if you are sailing into Stockholm the 2-3 hours before or after departure is very beautiful and you will want to be on deck or on your balcony

I did 1 Baltic Cruise in May and a B2B in July...it was quite chilly ...

You can read our Baltic Report at the link below..there's tips, sights to see lists for each port, what we did in St. Petersburg for our private tour

We also added to our Baltic Cruise with a on our own land tour to Latvia and Lithuania...we loved and recommend both countries!

Here's the links to our personal travel website

(and yes we know we are overdue for updates)

http://ourpassportstamps.com/BalticCruiseReport.html

http://ourpassportstamps.com/LatviaLithuaniatrip.html

http://ourpassportstamps.com/Photography.html

Being a Floridian, I question whether a balcony will be useful since it appears the temperatures will be chilly (50's - 60's) in the May to July timeframe.

Beware of your assuption! Our first cruise was in the Baltic in early June. OK it was cold until St Petersburg but, from then on, it was extremely HOT. We, like many people, stayed onboard rather than suffer the second day in a hot, poluted and traffic bound St Petersburg. By Rostock, the temperature was 40 degrees C at 11:00 am and rising. The medical centre was swamped with people suffering from the heat and allegies.

Not typical, I know, but it taught us to pack for all weather conditions.

Well, we live in the SFO Bay Area so our barometer is at a totally different level when it comes to traffic compared to others in the world

They are crazy drivers in St. Petersburg, but the amount of traffic didn't phase us.

and we didn't take a coach.

We hired a private driver for all cruises...

in fact the last cruise to the Baltic I took with my DH

we hired a driver and guide just for the 2 of us through

Red October..

it was worth every single penny as we had 19 hours of

one on one immersion with our guide

We went to places no shorex would every take you.

One of our favorites was at Catherine's Palace to see

the Carriage Museum...which held a HUGE collection

of Carriage's and Sleds. We were the only ones there

and the workmanship and beauty of each carriage was

exquisite.

As I said, only bullets and bombs would keep me out of St. Petersburg.

Archived