San Juan Cruises

Decpl

Hi all was wondering about sailing out of San Juan, we sailed from there a few years ago and never had a problem, but have been reading threads on RCCL and have read that they have been filling Adventurer of the seas with lots of locals for ridiculously low prices. There where loads of complaints about line butting, loud and rude behavior and complaints fell on deaf ears. We would like to go on Caribbean Princess in Feb, but was worrying about behavior problems on her also, anyone sail on her lately out of San Juan? Thanks for any input.

I once heard it said that "Americans will go anywhere, if it is just like home". We sailed out of San Juan last year. YES, there were many Puerto Rican families aboard (it IS their home port). I have heard that the cruise lines do run local specials the last few weeks to fill empty cabins (as they do in Florida). We are going out of San Juan next week, again. It did not bother us. Experiencing different "cultures" is part of travel. Some cruisers are shocked at the "rudeness" of Europeans (who don't seem to understand the concept of line-up and wait your turn). Some are shocked at the poverty of the Caribbean Islands (maybe they don't need all that we seem to need). Anyway, go, enjoy San Juan a day or two pre-cruise, if you can. Travel and learn about the world. (My rant and stereo-typing has ended). Happy New Year to all.

We sailed on the AOS in July, 2002 and on the CB (Caribbean Princess) just last week. I can tell you that the experience was totally different on the CB. I speak a little Spanish myself and from the AOS experience, I was a little leary of taking another cruise that started in SJU.

On the AOS, we felt like the ship was over-run with Spanish-speaking locals. Large extended Puerto Rican families took over many of the venues, the kids' program was packed and was run in Spanish, they got preferential treatment in the dining room and the quieter Americans were almost ignored. Their kids ran wild and were rarely reprimanded for their wild behavior. This is purely from what we experienced first-hand.

On the CB, there were many Puerto Ricans but they seemed to be much more respectful of others. They were really excited about Spanish/Mexican food night in the Cafe Caribe and that was a bit crazy, but other than that, we found the majority of them to be like any other cruiser.

If I ever do a SJU cruise again, I'll go on the CB simply because the experience was so different than on the AOS.

I have sailed out of SJU twice on the Adventure and had NO trouble at all. I enjoyed those cruises and that ship better then any so far. Id say it may depend on the time of year too. I always sail in the spring and it seems the poster above went in the summer....that would make it much mroe desirable for families since kids are not in school. Im not sure. The only difference I ever noticed was that all the announcements are repeated in Spanish....no big deal to me:) Have a great cruise.

Yes, we went in the summer on the AOS and during Christmas week on the CB, so I think they are pretty comparable time periods for families.

The announcements on both ships were in Spanish, but it wasn't a big deal at all. It was just the total atmosphere on the CB was so much more refined than the AOS.

Hi all was wondering about sailing out of San Juan, we sailed from there a few years ago and never had a problem, but have been reading threads on RCCL and have read that they have been filling Adventurer of the seas with lots of locals for ridiculously low prices. There where loads of complaints about line butting, loud and rude behavior and complaints fell on deaf ears. We would like to go on Caribbean Princess in Feb, but was worrying about behavior problems on her also, anyone sail on her lately out of San Juan? Thanks for any input.

This happened for sure the last two weeks of April on the Grand I believe several years. We were really surprised.

I was on the AOS in September 2008. The ship did have a lot of Puerto Ricans aboard mostly extended families. However as another poster has said, it is their home port. Spanish was used all over the ship of course since it is their native language. Announcements were given in English first and then in Spanish. I did not notice any unruly kids or adults for that matter. I did not have any kids along so I cannot speak for the kids programs. You must understand their culture which is very family oriented including extended family whereas the main culture on the mainland is more individual family oriented for the most part.

I had been to Puerto Rico on a land trip a few years prior and had a really good time. I stayed out by the airport and rode the city bus to OSJ and had no real problems. It was a good immersion into their culture that was not tourist oriented.

I live in San Antonio where 60% of the population is Hispanic. I hear Spanish being used everyday and have a large number of Hispanic friends. I am accustomed to their culture and know a little Spanish. I live here because it is a multi-cultural city.

The nice part about visiting Puerto Rico is that it is a US territory. I don't need a passport to go there, they use US dollars and my cell phone use is included in my monthly package. I plan on many more trips to Puerto Rico.

Thanks all that replied, we have no problems with the Spanish culture or language. We do not appreciate rude behavior or bad manners. We were reading so much about it on RCCL reviews it just got us a little worried.

We have sailed twice from San Juan, once with Costa (large array of nationalities) again with the last Empress of the Seas cruise out of San Juan. Both of theses were great, very nice and orderly groups with nice manners .No problems at all. We loved sailing from San Juan do to ports that are visited.

:D

Not a problem. We've run across one couple from PR, and they were very nice. About 75% of the folks we've randomly spoken with are either from Canada or UK. The only rudeness we've encountered by passengers was someone stealing our "Privacy Please" placard twice, and some snorkelers who don't know snorkeling manners (kicking, etc.), but in both cases it's more likely to be American kids.

Most folks have been friendly, nice, helpful when necessary (like providing a klutz - me - assistance at the Baths, and diving 20 feet for my husband's misplaced mask and snorkel - yes that was another passenger not a tourguide), fun to be with, etc.

We would gladly stay on for a b2b if we could, but our jobs and pets await us at home.

My wife and I have sailed from SJU a few times and have no problems with the Puerto Ricans whose presence is plentiful, of course. However, all peoples have their own customs and normalities. Without trying to paint with too broad a brush, they can be assertive and boisterousness, but that's not bad. It just is. Still, your sensibilities are not necessarily theirs. If you think you won't enjoy a sail from SJU, you may want to pick another port of embarkation. You are not wrong to prefer circumstances which make you most comfortable.

My favorite cruise was from San Juan, that was on the Adventure of the Seas. It was the begining of July and we did not experience none of the complaints you have been reading. Also, the rumor about the rock bottom fares to the locals, is just that....rumor... not really proven to be a fact. Were there people from SJ on our cruise, I guess so.....I had such a fabulous time I really didn't notice.

IMO, the Southern Caribbean ports are the best. I certainly would not change my mind for some of the exaggeration that is posted on the boards.

We cruised the AOS in Jan 2009 and also noticed a larger Spanish population than we have noticed sailing from Florida. We also noticed a large difference in the price sailing from San Juan rather than Florida! San Juan offers a great value for cruising!

The only problem we noticed was in the dining room when people with language barriers were seated together. Other than that, all of the people appeared to be respectful of each other and there to have a good time.

This year we are again cruising out of San Juan. This time on the CB. We expect to see more people from the UK. Again, the price difference between the San Juan cruise and the Florida cruise was different! $1,500 vrs $949! We use Marriott points for our hotel stay in San Juan and the flights are not that much different in price. Another advantage is that San Juan is in the Caribbean and the Southern Caribbean route is much warmer! Being from the frigid north - that is a real plus!

Thanks all that replied, we have no problems with the Spanish culture or language. We do not appreciate rude behavior or bad manners. We were reading so much about it on RCCL reviews it just got us a little worried.

We have sailed twice from San Juan, once with Costa (large array of nationalities) again with the last Empress of the Seas cruise out of San Juan. Both of theses were great, very nice and orderly groups with nice manners .No problems at all. We loved sailing from San Juan do to ports that are visited.

:D

What is considered rude or inappropriate behavior varies from culture to culture, so that's probably from where all the negative commentary came. It's all about tolerance, and some are better at it than others....

Archived