how is the bobsledding

wareaglefan444

We just returned from RCCL Navigator of the Seas and did the bobsled tour. A small bus was waiting at the pier where we had a short drive to Mystic Mountain. The day we went it was POURING down rain so at the foot of the mountain where we got on the chair lift they handed out ponchos. We took a ride up the mountain that took approx 15 minutes. It was over the tree tops and really pretty even though the rain was pelting us. We laughed all the way to the top.

At the top of the mountain there is a gift shop, some lockers and a pool with a slide where on a sunny day looked like it would be fun.

We then took the bobsled ride which was fun. The track was super slippery from the rain and fast. They recommended keeping the break on for much of the ride but my husband who is deaf without his cochlear implant didn't hear those directions and he just understood he was not supposed to stop on the track. So we have a great picture of him with the handle in the forward position and a look of terror on his face.

This was a fun excursion for us since we have been to Jamaica several times before so we have done many of the typical things and it wasn't a good beach day with all the rain.

The bobsled is not as wild as the roller coasters they have now but it was a fun ride. You go back up the mountain in the bob sled then take the chair lift back down.

It was a great day for us. The people at Mystic Mountain were very nice and there were no venders like you see at Dunns River Falls. Our driver offered to take anyone to Dunns River Falls if they wanted to go. We chose to return to the ship.

You may ride single on the bobsled or they can hook two together. If you choose to ride double the person in front controls the speed so they must be strong enough to break for two people. As a family we decided we would do it again rain or shine.

Our family was also at Mystic Mountain that same day in the rain and they also zip lined. Two guys took the group of six through the course - they said the guys were great and it was even more memorable in the rain! They also bought the 5 pack of bobsled rides for $40.

We were there on Christmas Eve and loved the bobsleds. At first I was a little nervous to have my 9 year old control the sled but after his first time (with no brakes) I felt better and they did it again. It is a beautiful place and the staff is probably the friendliest I have been around. The place was so clean and the pool was awesome. Would definately do it again and buy the 5 ticket package.

Kellie

I am also wanting to try Mystic Mountain but it is not showing up as available on my cruise. Not sure if it is all booked up or just not listed yet. Has anyone just gone over on their own? Did you get a taxi?

sandm: Did you book directly through RCCL, or did you use an independent tour operator? My husband and I are extremely interested in the bobsledding, but as we've never been to Jamaica before, feel we mustn't miss the Falls, either. I was excited when I read the fact that, according to your experience, we may be able to do both. Thank you in advance for your response.

We booked directly through RCCL. When you go be sure to get the name of your driver and when to meet him back at the building at the base of the hill. We did not do this and were uncertain what to do when we were done on the Mountain. We took the chairlift down and they quickly got a bus and driver for us but it was a different driver than the one we took to Mystic Mountain.

We have done DRF before and that too is a "do not miss" We really enjoyed our times at Jamaica.

We are planning to do the bobsled next week while in Ocho Rios. Are there any weight restrictions ? One of the folks in my group is larger (275-300#) and I wanted to be sure there would not be a problem. I have read through all the information at the Carnival site and the boblsed site, and did not see anything. Thanks in advance .

I'm interested in the zip lines using an RCCL tour. From what I've read, I'd rather stay with a cruise sponsored tour in Jamaica to ensure no problems getting back. I don't see an RCCL tour though that includes the zip line. There's one that's the chair lift only, and one that includes the bobsled, but nothing for the tranopy. Anyone else do the tranopy through RCCL?

We have hired a driver/tour guide for the day (Marva Shaw). very reasonable, have read lots of great reviews about her. she is going to take us to the bobsled, water falls, the beach, and shopping, then back to the ship. A plus to having a local guidde with you is the street vendors will leave you alone. and you feel safe while traveling around Jamaica. We are looking forward to our day in Ocho Rios.

I'm interested in the zip lines using an RCCL tour. From what I've read, I'd rather stay with a cruise sponsored tour in Jamaica to ensure no problems getting back. I don't see an RCCL tour though that includes the zip line. There's one that's the chair lift only, and one that includes the bobsled, but nothing for the tranopy. Anyone else do the tranopy through RCCL?

Our group took the RCCL chairlift excursion and then paid for the zip line and bobsled at Mystic Mountain. I think it was $65 for the zipline and $40 for 5 bobsled rides.

We booked directly through RCCL. When you go be sure to get the name of your driver and when to meet him back at the building at the base of the hill. We did not do this and were uncertain what to do when we were done on the Mountain. We took the chairlift down and they quickly got a bus and driver for us but it was a different driver than the one we took to Mystic Mountain.

We have done DRF before and that too is a "do not miss" We really enjoyed our times at Jamaica.

Thank you! :)

Our group took the RCCL chairlift excursion and then paid for the zip line and bobsled at Mystic Mountain. I think it was $65 for the zipline and $40 for 5 bobsled rides.

Great idea. Since not everyone in my family wants to do the bobsled, some can wait at the top until the others do the bobsled, and then we can all do the zip line down. Thanks for the idea.

We did the tranopy last Feb. booked through the ship...and at that time the ship's price were cheaper. :eek:

if you are a couple, or 2 kids, i suggest asking them to hook the bobsleds together. Then you can get one pic with both of you in it. The bobsleds do not go fast....even the entire way down, with no brakes applied at all. So don't worry about that....and yes, it's disappointing they are not faster...but i'm a roller coaster junky. i expected more.

Mystic mountain is beautiful! And there is a small pool and waterslide to play in as well as a resturant at top. You can take fabulous pics.

The tranopy excursion allows you unlimited rides on the chair lift...which is like a ski lift. we rode this about 4 times. it was very relaxing and beautiful. the zipline was fun! not as great as chukka park in mobay, but it was fun.

302704790_mysticmountain3.jpg.3bd8c384f141caadc3f78e14d33d6553.jpg

105628252_mysticmountain1.jpg.35b98017e20e4a308668b0cdf1b7350e.jpg

818970850_mysticmountain4.jpg.76253b4a476cfa98e1891baf4a7bc34a.jpg

1735192289_mikeandtamzipline.jpg.f8d017a56ecf91b5357931c622ae5fd9.jpg

1388799228_mysticmountain2.jpg.4eb1c32a0050e0438c314a14c4238e2d.jpg

Archived