Passenger overboard on Monarch (merged)

News article said this "husband" was a manager on RCCL. I wonder if that was a manager on the Monarch, or if he worked in corporate. Also, if the guys father was a well known surgeon in India, why would they be so obsessed about the daughter-in-laws dowry. :confused: I guess I don't understand their customs.

One other observation...was the wife trying to get a job with the cruiseline as well? That was also mentioned in the news article. I wonder why the husband didn't want her to work near him. Hmmmm:rolleyes:

News article said this "husband" was a manager on RCCL. I wonder if that was a manager on the Monarch, or if he worked in corporate. Also, if the guys father was a well known surgeon in India, why would they be so obsessed about the daughter-in-laws dowry. :confused: I guess I don't understand their customs.

One other observation...was the wife trying to get a job with the cruiseline as well? That was also mentioned in the news article. I wonder why the husband didn't want her to work near him. Hmmmm:rolleyes:

The crew life on the ship is like a big soap opera. Many have "girlfriends" on board but have a wife at home. From the article I understand that he is a manager on the ship. The name actually sounds familiar and think that I may know of him from the Monarch in October. The closeness and long hours can be stressful on even the best of relationships but no way would a controlling husband want his spouse on board with him. Constant abuse had obviously taken it's toll on this poor woman and unfortunately she ended her life. She probably wanted to work on the ship to get away from his family and maybe thought the abuse wouldn't continue from him while on the ship. Unfortunately we will never know and can only speculate.

Going off at the 11th Deck is jumping over 100 feet, hitting the water at that heigth plus speed will most likely kill a person. If your not killed instantly then very well would knock you out, depending on how you land. Regardless of why a person would choose to do that is devestating to their family and my heart goes out to them.

The stories from the Indian newspapers are heartbreaking. This poor woman had no one to turn to. Her husband should be severely punished, but if there are no witnesses to the beatings, probably nothing will happen. No wonder he didn't report her missing. I wonder what laws apply at sea.

We have just reviewed our video footage of our Monarch cruise last month. The guy in question actually stood chatting to myself & DH for around 20mins after the C&A welcome back event - we commented to each other how nice he seemed.....looks like we were both wrong.

We have just reviewed our video footage of our Monarch cruise last month. The guy in question actually stood chatting to myself & DH for around 20mins after the C&A welcome back event - we commented to each other how nice he seemed.....looks like we were both wrong.

Of course he seemed nice! He's in the hospitality business! Like you would have had any idea that this was going on.

Of course he seemed nice! He's in the hospitality business! Like you would have had any idea that this was going on.

That is why I put "looks like we were both wrong".

As I said before, I am constantly amazed by how people report back about how they became such good friends with staff they met on the ships. We don't know anything about these people. Maybe I am just not trusting, but just because someone pours you a good drink or serves your food well doesn't mean he's a great guy. It doesn't mean he's not, but we all need to be aware.

That is why I put "looks like we were both wrong".

As I said before, I am constantly amazed by how people report back about how they became such good friends with staff they met on the ships. We don't know anything about these people. Maybe I am just not trusting, but just because someone pours you a good drink or serves your food well doesn't mean he's a great guy. It doesn't mean he's not, but we all need to be aware.

I just added a simple observation that we had come across this guy on our cruise & had a very pleasant chat with him. We don't profess to be new best friends with him.

I wasn't singling you out at all. Sorry. I imagine it's very eery for you to realize that you talked to this guy for so long!

I just added a simple observation that we had come across this guy on our cruise & had a very pleasant chat with him. We don't profess to be new best friends with him.

I wasn't singling you out at all. Sorry. I imagine it's very eery for you to realize that you talked to this guy for so long!

Just off the MN this morning and you can see how shaken up the staff still is......very sad.......

and some dumba$$ asked at the captain Q and A session about what do they do if they lose someone...........poor timing ,if you ask me........:mad::mad:

Just off Mn this AM too. I was at the Q and A and while that guys question was worded a bit off at first, he continued to specifically refer to waiting on a pax at the pier to which the captain answered him with standard stuff. I never asked a crew member about that incident but just about every pax we spoke to had something to say about it so it was a well traveled tidbit of info. In fact, more knew about that than why we did not stop at Coco Cay......

The stories from the Indian newspapers are heartbreaking. This poor woman had no one to turn to. Her husband should be severely punished, but if there are no witnesses to the beatings, probably nothing will happen. No wonder he didn't report her missing. I wonder what laws apply at sea.

Such a tragedy. However the husband did report her missing around 12:30am and she reportedly "jumped" around 4:11am.

In fact, more knew about that than why we did not stop at Coco Cay......

It was quite obvious if anyone happened to look outside............the waves were crashing very high over the shoreline.no way could they tender in.

Such a tragedy. However the husband did report her missing around 12:30am and she reportedly "jumped" around 4:11am.

It is a tragedy and what makes it worse is that the HUSBAND is the reason that she went "missing". With all the new info coming out it seems that the husband is certainly responsible for her death by driving the will to live out of her.:( One can only hope that he is severely punished for his role in her death.

Actually, this type of behavior and cultural moors are typical in India and indeed much of the middle east. I doubt seriously if anything is ever done about it. We westerners just can't wrap our heads around that paradigm and mind set, but its the norm over there.

I worked my MIL (ex) on the dowry thing. When I got married she gave me a plastic farm animal set on my wedding day. Still laugh about it

BTW: she is on facebook.com with her husband. I recognize him.

Archived