Passenger overboard on Monarch (merged)

Good grief - the post by bayou cruiser was made at just after midnight last night, the article that mentioned it being the wife of a crew member wasn't posted here until 9:30 this morning. You expect him to be psychic? Get a grip. Not every poster is sinister.

And he/she had to make something "fishy" out of it with no information. You re-read. That one was trying to make something sinister out of it with the "fishy" remark with absolutely nothing to go on.

And he/she had to make something "fishy" out of it with no information. You re-read. That one was trying to make something sinister out of it with the "fishy" remark with absolutely nothing to go on.

I did not know it was the wife of a crew member when I posted last night. I posted my opinion with the information that I read at the time. No matter what happened it is a horrible story and I will keep all involved in my thoughts and prayers. Sorry if I offended you with my post. Check my history if you choose, I am most certainly not that type of poster.

I did not know it was the wife of a crew member when I posted last night. I posted my opinion with the information that I read at the time. No matter what happened it is a horrible story and I will keep all involved in my thoughts and prayers. Sorry if I offended you with my post. Check my history if you choose, I am most certainly not that type of poster.

My apologize then. I had already read the whole story and found your remark offensive. I didn't know you hadn't read it all. I guess it just shows we all need to wait until we know more.

No,but they could start a search sooner............Im sure large places,such as the White House,for instance,have surveillance and someone watching it all the time.dont ya think??:confused:

However, the problem on cruise ships is that the cameras are not monitored 24/7. The purpose of the ships' cameras are more for after-action review, than they are to respond to a current threat.

I think jumping off a cruise ship is one of the worst ways to off yourself.

Think about it. You won't die for a while, so you get to watch the ship drift away, and then disappear. Then you're alone in black, cold ocean water. You must wait for hypothermia, which can take hours, or hope a sea creature eats you.

Something tells me you'd be wanting the boat back.

Oh yeah, sailing this boat on Monday.

There is alot more to this than meets the eye. Ms Chhikara's family have now launched an FIR in India against her husband and his family for abuse against Ms Chhikara prior to her going overboard. There is also a suggestion that she may have been an honour killing victim.

Honour killing is getting more and more common and from what the family has been saying, Ms Chhikara was subjected to beatings and severe abuse from her in-laws and the family...Ms Chhikara even emailed her family hours before she went over the side telling her family of the torture and abuse she had been suffering..

http://www.ptinews.com/news/451198_FIR-against-medico-over-daughter-in-law-s-death

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2010/20100103/main4.htm

Ms Chhikara's family is understandably devastated but they do seem to have alot of evidence against their daughters husband & his family...who are in a higher caste in India and who have positions of great respect in India. Hopefully the authorities will take the evidence seriously and the truth will come out about their daughter's death...and those behind it will be dealt with according to the laws if found to be in any way responsible.

A passenger jumped off Monarch of the Seas...

Is the ship still running as normal?

I would think after searching the area for a bit the ship will proceed forward. I can only speak from the time I was onboard the Liberty and there were some Cuban Refugees in a raft and somebody heard them yelling around 3:30 a.m. The ship made an Oscar call and stopped(took over a mile) then sent out seach parties. They were found, brought back to the ship and then turned over to the coast guard.

Usually they and any other ships in the area will search for the passenger, and then move on after a period of time, usually on a slightly altered itinerary due to the time loss.

Activities on board go on as normal. But I've read the mood on board changes dramatically.

A photo of Ms Chhikara on her wedding day has now been released to Indian media...she was a beautiful young woman...such a tragedy for someone so young to have to go through beatings and abuse over a dowry and then to lose her life like she has...

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/woman-on-cruise-ship-jumps-to-death-inlaws-booked/108144-3.html

Indian law does not take kindly to dowry harrassment or beatings like this, hopefully the husband and his family will pay dearly for what happened on New Year's Eve and Ms Chhikara's family will get the justice they deserve for their daughter. One can only hope that they do.

What is the procedure for hiring and background checks? That's a very interesting question. I read so many posts on here about how people "become good friends" with cruise staff, but we don't know anything about them.

What a sad situation.

WOW......you can be so rude at times. Actually now that more of the story is out is does INDEED appear that there was something sinister going on. So how WRONG you were as the other posters instincts were correct.:eek:

The news now coming out states that the husband beat her everyday of the cruise and that the abuse has been on going for the harassment of dowry.

http://www.ptinews.com/news/451198_FIR-against-medico-over-daughter-in-law-s-death

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2010/20100103/main4.htm

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/woman-on-cruise-ship-jumps-to-death-inlaws-booked/108144-3.html

Sad indeed......I hope that the husband pays dearly for his involvement.

I think jumping off a cruise ship is one of the worst ways to off yourself.

Think about it. You won't die for a while, so you get to watch the ship drift away, and then disappear. Then you're alone in black, cold ocean water. You must wait for hypothermia, which can take hours, or hope a sea creature eats you.

Something tells me you'd be wanting the boat back.

Oh yeah, sailing this boat on Monday.

That doesn't make much sense to me. First of all, one is not likely to die of hypothermia in the Caribbean. Second, from what I have read, most die on impact (think how tall those ships are) and/or quickly drown.

Carnival could use this in there advertising.Our crew doesn't beat there spouses.This is a terrible crime and a sad situation for Her and her family. Sad it happens everyday everywhere spousal abuse is a hidden crime .The abused usualy dont seek help until after a lot of harm has been done if they seek help at all.

Carnival could use this in there advertising.Our crew doesn't beat there spouses.This is a terrible crime and a sad situation for Her and her family. Sad it happens everyday everywhere spousal abuse is a hidden crime .The abused usualy dont seek help until after a lot of harm has been done if they seek help at all.

That's real nice. Just because we haven't heard about it on Carnival or any other line, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Have you ever known anyone who's been abused by a spouse? If you have, you wouldn't joke about it. I have a feeling cultural issues, from what have been reported, played a huge role in this too. It's hard enough to seek help in the US, but in a culture like India's, it's probably nearly impossible. It's just awful.

How would RCI know the man was a wife beater when they hired him?

Good point.

Alot of times these things are

not even reported, especially, by an

Indian family and, local customs and, rituals.

What the heck is a dowry anyway?

When I was working over in the middle east,

I learned that if a wife "misbehaves", whatever that means,

the husband is supposed to beat his wife...

I always thought people were supposed to marry for love

and, mutual interests anyway.

Beatings of wives and, females is never correct, no matter what the

customs, rituals say, I.M.H.O.

Good point.

Alot of times these things are

not even reported, especially, by an

Indian family and, local customs and, rituals.

What the heck is a dowry anyway?

When I was working over in the middle east,

I learned that if a wife "misbehaves", whatever that means,

the husband is supposed to beat his wife...

I always thought people were supposed to marry for love

and, mutual interests anyway.

Beatings of wives and, females is never correct, no matter what the

customs, rituals say, I.M.H.O.

A dowry is the goods, real estate, and money that the bride brings into the marriage. I worked with a gentleman with this custom and he went back to his homeland for his marriage, a marriage that was arranged by the families when his bride was born. He was from a very successful, wealthy family and so was his new bride and she came along with a nice dowry. It seemed so strange to all of us but he explained where he was from it was very commonplace.

A dowry is the goods, real estate, and money that the bride brings into the marriage. I worked with a gentleman with this custom and he went back to his homeland for his marriage, a marriage that was arranged by the families when his bride was born. He was from a very successful, wealthy family and so was his new bride and she came along with a nice dowry. It seemed so strange to all of us but he explained where he was from it was very commonplace.

Ahh..thanks for the enlightment......

It is a good thing I never married my DW Susan

for her dowry.. ;) (42 years ago...)

I think she married me because I was an ex-sailor and, I told her

that I had a cruise on an aircraft carrier and, someday when I retired, I was going to cruise the world...I think she bought into that logic

and, waited around 40 years to see if I was being truthful ;)

Archived