Do you feel the ship move? will we get sea sick?

42bird

hi, my dh is very sensitive to small boats and planes. not sure if we will feel any motion on the ship. we are going on the AOS Jan 17th 2010. we did book a room in the middle of the ship. i read that may help.

thank you for your help

hi, my dh is very sensitive to small boats and planes. not sure if we will feel any motion on the ship. we are going on the AOS Jan 17th 2010. we did book a room in the middle of the ship. i read that may help.

thank you for your help

Yes, you will feel the ship move. BUT... not everyone that has trouble with small boats has trouble with big ships. My best friend can not cruise with me. It affects her horribly and she has tried everything out there for motion sickness.

The Caribbean is one of the roughest cruises we have been on and I have cruised all over the world. It doesn't bother my husband or I. I would definitely get your husband the "patch" and make sure you have it on hand. You will feel motion on the ship. Your mid-ship cabin location will help with night time motion, but... it won't help throughout the day.

I think prevention is FAR better than just hoping it doesn't bother him. There is nothing worse than spending a cruise being sick all the time.

thank you for your help

You should be fine on that ship.Mid ship is a good choice,a sailor will always tell you to go mid ship for height and length.I cant go on a fairy or small boat or rides at the ex but I can sail on a large ship never having to take a graval tablet,last time we were on a sister ship,Mariner in 2007 and got caught in a nasty tropical depression for a few days,had to close the pools ,winds were high ,large waves but were were all fine,smaller ships didnt fair out as well,from what we were told a few had to dock.Had a great cruise,If you do get nassea you can get some great tablets that work well from the main desk.Free!We were 30 people in that storm and only 1 got a little queezy 1 day.Have a great cruise .We are heading out on the 23 rd.Oasis.

You should be fine on that ship.Mid ship is a good choice,a sailor will always tell you to go mid ship for height and length.I cant go on a fairy or small boat or rides at the ex but I can sail on a large ship never having to take a graval tablet,last time we were on a sister ship,Mariner in 2007 and got caught in a nasty tropical depression for a few days,had to close the pools ,winds were high ,large waves but were were all fine,smaller ships didnt fair out as well,from what we were told a few had to dock.Had a great cruise,If you do get nassea you can get some great tablets that work well from the main desk.Free!We were 30 people in that storm and only 1 got a little queezy 1 day.Have a great cruise .We are heading out on the 23 rd.Oasis.

PS 1 more thing I meant to say,I explain it to my friends like this.While in a car or on a bus or a train you feel it move,but it dosnt make most people sick.You can feel a ship move the same way,You know you are moving and sometimes your not sure .

I literally grew up on or behind small boats (I was a competitive water skiier) and was shocked to discover I get sea sick on cruises. However, I just go to the Guest Relations desk and get the tablets they pass out and it solves the problem.

Edited by relaxandenjoy

I take Bonine and ginger tablets starting the night before the cruise and every night I'm on the ship. Better to be safe than sorry is my motto. Lots of people complain about being sleepy or sluggish if they take medicine so taking it at nighttime works dual duty giving you a great night's sleep and keeping you protected for the daytime too. I've only gotten seasick once and it was crossing the Gulf from Galveston in December in very rough water. Here's wishing you calm waters and a great trip.

I get sick on planes, in the back of the car, on a pier, lol. I take Bonine or Dramamine and I'm fine. I've also done the motion sickness transderm patch. That works also but its more expensive. Make sure you bring some meds with you. I would take one before getting on board, better safe than sorry.

we take bonine...i am not a seasick-getter, BUT on our last cruise on Explorer we had a VERY rough couple days over the 3 weeks....

i DID carry around a "bag" the last night though!! (didn't need it--WHEW!)

take the bonine the night before....

if you get the patch (it's an Rx) be advised that some people have weird reactions...especially when it's taken off at the end....i haven't used it, but maybe others will have tips. i have heard that some leave it on a day after the cruise...

thank you for your help

This should be a fairly smooth sail for you as the ship sails on the sheltered side of these islands. Other poster must be referring to some

Western Caribbean sails. This time of year in this area it's like sailing in a bath tub. I am prone to motion sickness and I have never had mal de mer

on the 2 trips I have made there.

If you do need it and don't want medication some people take ginger tablets. Other people have success with wearing sea bands around their wrists. These are available at most CVS stores. These press on the acupuncture points in your wrists and somehow fool the brain into shutting down the disequalibrium in the inner ear nerves.

Don't fret and enjoy your cruise.

PS. I can tell you a funny story that on my first cruise 20 years ago we got caught in a tail wind coming home from Bermuda while crossing the Gulf Stream. The ship was pitching and rolling. I was amazed at how much gambling and bingo was going on that week so when I walked down the hallways and saw all these bags hung over the handrails I figured the Cruise Director was running a game of chance where you picked a bag with a winning number in it.

As the evening rolled on I eventually realized that other people were not playing the same game that I was!

Edited by NordicPrince

Remember--you won't be in your cabin all the time (or at least, you shouldn't!!!) If seas are rough, you're going to feel it!...a ship is like a cork floating on top...it moves!

Hopefully, you'll have calm seas...

Take some medications, and begin taking them the day before you sail...and everyday thereafter. Prevention is the key!

bonine is good - and we have gravol from canada which is excellent too - out of 12 cruises it only bothered me on the Monarch - for a couple of hours one afternoon-but it is a smaller ship could feel some motion on the bigger ships but lulled us to sleep at night -- had a few naps during the day as well, but no sickness

We didn't cruise til 2005 cause I was so afraid of getting sea sick and could kick myself we didn't start sooner - not enough to worry about, so go cruising and have a great time

What is considered rough seas. We are taking Radiance on Saturday to Mexico. Seas are forecast to be 5 to 9 feet down to Cabo, less during the week down to Ixtapa, and on the way back, some patches of 10 to 15, but very light winds. With the bigger ships and stabilizere, I would think you would feel some motion, but not too much under those conditions. Hopefully, that is the case.

I have never gotten seasick, but worry about it so much that I have been checking all the forecasts. I have not cruised in 20 years, but am taking Meclizine tabs to take, and have the wrist band, but still worry about it. Sometimes I think I make myself sick instead of just having fun.

Fortunately, my stateroom is mid deck 9 on the hump (bigger balcony)!

Hopefully, I will be so busy I will not pay attention to it.

What is considered rough seas. We are taking Radiance on Saturday to Mexico. Seas are forecast to be 5 to 9 feet down to Cabo, less during the week down to Ixtapa, and on the way back, some patches of 10 to 15, but very light winds. With the bigger ships and stabilizere, I would think you would feel some motion, but not too much under those conditions. Hopefully, that is the case.

I have never gotten seasick, but worry about it so much that I have been checking all the forecasts. I have not cruised in 20 years, but am taking Meclizine tabs to take, and have the wrist band, but still worry about it. Sometimes I think I make myself sick instead of just having fun.

Fortunately, my stateroom is mid deck 9 on the hump (bigger balcony)!

Hopefully, I will be so busy I will not pay attention to it.

I would consider 5 - 15 feet to be "typical" for open seas, less than that "calm". April 2004 we hit 12 hours of 60 - 70 foot waves in the North Atlantic on the QE2; that proved to me that Bonine really works [makes you a little sleepy, but much better than the other option; you do have to take it BEFORE you are sick (we had been warned about the weather ahead)].

...The Caribbean is one of the roughest cruises we have been on and I have cruised all over the world...
Unless there is a tropical storm brewing the Caribbean is usually pretty calm. Were you actually in the Caribbean when it was rough? It is not unusual for it to be fairly rough in the Atlantic coming out of Florida before you actually get into the Caribbean.

Thom

I would consider 5 - 15 feet to be "typical" for open seas, less than that "calm". April 2004 we hit 12 hours of 60 - 70 foot waves in the North Atlantic on the QE2; that proved to me that Bonine really works [makes you a little sleepy, but much better than the other option; you do have to take it BEFORE you are sick (we had been warned about the weather ahead)].

Unless there is a tropical storm brewing the Caribbean is usually pretty calm. Were you actually in the Caribbean when it was rough? It is not unusual for it to be fairly rough in the Atlantic coming out of Florida before you actually get into the Caribbean.

Thom

Ditto to this post - often the worst is going south from Florida as you are bucking the golf stream and trade winds . . . but it is relatively minor this time of year. In September I talked to our doc about seasickness as we were headed for the North Atlantic and will head to Antarctica in January. He told us that recent research has shown ginger to be more effective than any meds. So ginger candy has become a staple for our cruising. Many of the meds have side effects - drowsiness, etc.

There are other factors other than waves that make for a difficult passage. For large cruise ships the waves are not what causes the ship to rock & roll, it is the ocean swells. You can have 15 ft. waves and very little swell and you won't feel a thing. Here is a definition:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5052569_swell-ocean.html

If you find a forcast for the wave height, look also for the forecasted swell. Also, heading directly into a swell has less impact on the ship than if it is running perpendicular to the swell. It gets very complicated, leave it to your captain to find the best route for best comfort and just enjoy your cruise!

My wife and I were on a Mexican cruise and on our way back we were in dead calm waters (smooth as glass) but incredibly high swell (generated somewhere out in the pacific) and it was the roughest night we've ever had on a cruise. The dance floor kept emptying to the left and right with each roll!

Edited by Turk

As to swells, you would look at it as swell height and duration between swells. The closer they are, the more you rock, the further apart they are, the less you rock.

Sound right?

Well, like I said, it's more complicated than that. Example: A tsunami can travel 5000 miles as 1 or 2 swells moving at 600 mph. A ship at sea would not even notice it passing by but, you know what happens when it reaches land!

My advise to you is to look forward to the rocking of the ship. As a sailor, there is no better feeling than sailing in open water. I appreciate the design of the ship and the mechanics involved. Let the ship rock you to sleep at night!

yes you will feel the movement...even in the calmest seas there may be a small amount of swaying. I am also very prone to motion sickness...I take dramamine on the sea days and have always been fine. Baring any significant wearther the rocking isnt bad at all usually

Some things didn't come up -

-do patches really work - saw a person on 1st Hawaii with patches and bracelet -asked if it was her 1st cruise - she said no - 12th - loves cruising - just gets sea sick

-have to think a balcony helps most people - that issue of 'seeing' the roll that your inner ear picks up. Did a lot of sail boat racing when younger - and anyone new - we would always tell to look at the Horizon ( and rarely have them go below decks )

- wonderful time on 2nd cruise trying to get coffee to the 'boss' - what a great ride on the front - sorry for those coffee stains in the hallways

-final cruise was Royal Clipper - the day afterwards we learned about the bed boards we could have turned up to help keep us in bed - from Barbados to the St Lucia - that was a night to remember. No line up at breakfast on day 2, however.

Think 'Positive' if you can. Or some how make a game of it with your spouse.

Greg

• 6 years later...

I was wondering if you went on the trip yet? Did any of the products work that you can recommend to me I have a very weak stomach I don't get on planes and I don't like hills or elevators or roller coasters. I go on a cruise January 9th please help.

We've always felt some motion even on the biggest ships in the Caribbean. We kind of like it and it helps us sleep. The Pacific is a little more choppy, but I've never felt it was a problem. Some people wear patches and eat ginger.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Forums