Norwegian Pearl Gratuities

bennob66

Can a fellow member advise me as to whether the "Gratutity" on the Norwegian Perl of $10/Day/Person which is added to the shipboard account automatically can be adjusted by going to the information desk once on the cruise or is this a set charge and cannot be adjusted? It is just that I prefer to make direct cash gratuities to those people who have been the most helpful on a cruise.

Can a fellow member advise me as to whether the "Gratutity" on the Norwegian Perl of $10/Day/Person which is added to the shipboard account automatically can be adjusted by going to the information desk once on the cruise or is this a set charge and cannot be adjusted? It is just that I prefer to make direct cash gratuities to those people who have been the most helpful on a cruise.

The per day charge is actually $12.00 PP PD, not $10.00. If you wish to actually thank the crew for their hard work, leave the daily service charge in place. Otherwise any cash tips you give to specific crew members will have to be turned into a cash pool. When you remove your daily service charge your name and photo go onto a list that is distributed around the ship to the crew and if you are on that list the crew knows anything you give them specifically must be turned over to the cash pool. They are not going to risk losing their jobs over keeping whatever individual tip you might give them.

The daily service charge is the system NCL has worked out so that it can provide good service and Freestyle cruising together. If you do not want to go with the system they have come up with, why not just choose another cruiseline? Before Freestyle when you had the same waiters, servers, etc, every night, the tipping system worked. With Freestyle it really doesn't and it makes it harder on the pax to have to take tip money around with them to tip a crew member who just gave them great service because they might not see that crew member again.

Do what you want, but just know if you hold the daily service charge off you are just hurting a hard working crew. And also know that it isn't as easy as walking up to the front desk and requesting it to be removed. You have to have a legit reason when you request it and that reason goes before the Hotel Director.

To simply answer your question. You may go to the information desk and adjust the gratuities. Our American tipping//gratuity customs are at times difficult for others to comprehend, and to a large extent the crew salary is based on the gratuities/service charge, and not on what NCL contributes.

(Remember that with freestyle cruising, you are likely going to have a different wait team each night so before adjusting you probably need to consider how to handle that. The service charge also covers some behind the scenes people. Really the only person that it makes sense to adjust for is your cabin steward. . . .IMO not worht the effort, just add some extra.)

To simply answer your question. You may go to the information desk and adjust the gratuities.

And be prepared to explain just what deficiency in service is causing you to have the auto-gratuity reduced. If you plan to have the entire auto-gratuity removed, be prepared to carry a lot of small bills with you at all times to tip every waiter you have at every meal, every restaurant maitre d' and assistant, and everyone who helps you find a seat and who cleans up after you in the buffet.

I suppose the bottom-line question is: NCL builds its compensation system for crew around the auto-gratuity; why in the world would you want to buck the system? Some do so because they're cheap, but I'm sure you aren't. Why not, when cruising NCL, do as NCL wishes and tip in the way that ensures proper crew compensation? I mean, you certainly aren't planning to tip a total amount less than $12/day, right? So why bother?

It is 12 not $10, has been for about a year now. As for adjusting, only in rare situations can you and one of the reasons, giving directly doesn't work with the "freestyle dinig" that is why almost all lines have gone with auto tipping...If some have gone above and beyond, it is nice to give them something a little extra, but if you have the gratuities removed they are still required to put whatever you gave them in the pool, so you are gaining nothing and hurting many.

I see you are from Austalia. I know our tipping customs are different from yours and hard for some to understand.

Nita

The $12pppd service charge (gratuity/tip/call it what you want) can be adjusted in any way you choose, upward or downward, by going to the desk. You simply walk up to the front desk and request any changes required, and they will ask for a reason which you note on a form provided, and sign confirming your adjustment.

Many people, like you, prefer to give the tips directly to staff and it is your choice entirely.

Do beware of those who will "speak" judgementally towards you on this thread for daring to ask such a question, some in a rather loud and perhaps unacceptable manner!

obviously it sounds like you are one that does adjust, just a guess. Are you aware tipping personally still requires the person receiving the tip to place it in the tip pool? Yes, many of us have strong feelings on the subject as these tips are pretty much the crew members main source of income. Let's not get started on the subject of cruise lines paying their employees more, it is the same and many of us prefer the tipping method..

Nita

Bennob66,

Please be aware as stated by MOST others that IF you remove the service charge and give out cash that cash must be turned in and split up with others. IF you really want to reward someone above and beyond the SERVICE charge then Leave the charge in place and tip separately to those you wish. they then have to report the extra tip but are allowed to keep it along with their share of the pool payout.

Many people don't like this system but it IS the system. they did this because so many people just plain did not tip, and it seems there are still some out there that don't want too. [i am not saying you are one of them by the way]

Please leave the $12 pp in place then do what see fit over that.

The $12pppd service charge (gratuity/tip/call it what you want) can be adjusted in any way you choose, upward or downward, by going to the desk. You simply walk up to the front desk and request any changes required, and they will ask for a reason which you note on a form provided, and sign confirming your adjustment.

Many people, like you, prefer to give the tips directly to staff and it is your choice entirely.

Do beware of those who will "speak" judgementally towards you on this thread for daring to ask such a question, some in a rather loud and perhaps unacceptable manner!

Your posting has already been deleted once from this thread. The only "unacceptable manner" shown on this thread is yours above.

I wish they would make the service charge untouchable, then these questions would not be asked. The OP is from Australia and tipping is not done where he is from, so obviously, he does not intend to tip at all. Do I have it right, OP?

I wish they would make the service charge untouchable, then these questions would not be asked. The OP is from Australia and tipping is not done where he is from, so obviously, he does not intend to tip at all. Do I have it right, OP?

Instead of assuming, why don't you educate him as to the customs in the US, which is what the cruise lines base the gratutity policies on. The world for the most part is not like the US and for those of us here to assume that it is, shows our ignorance.

Instead of assuming, why don't you educate him as to the customs in the US, which is what the cruise lines base the gratutity policies on. The world for the most part is not like the US and for those of us here to assume that it is, shows our ignorance.

I'm certain the OP already knows the customs in the US and just wants to make sure he can remove the service charge. After all this question is asked every day or so.

But, I thought that they worked with a service charge system rather than a tipping system?

PE

Bennob66,

Please be aware as stated by MOST others that IF you remove the service charge and give out cash that cash must be turned in and split up with others. IF you really want to reward someone above and beyond the SERVICE charge then Leave the charge in place and tip separately to those you wish. they then have to report the extra tip but are allowed to keep it along with their share of the pool payout.

Many people don't like this system but it IS the system. they did this because so many people just plain did not tip, and it seems there are still some out there that don't want too. [i am not saying you are one of them by the way]

Please leave the $12 pp in place then do what see fit over that.

I hope the OP brings along alot of cash to tip. The service charge/gratuity goes to tip many of the crew who you don't directly interact with but proivde you service aboard the ship.. those who clean the deck, clean the public areas, keep things working, serve and cook in the buffets, etc. By removing the auto tip, you are taking from them.

Also, the freestyle dining concept will mean that, if the OP truly wants to directly take care of those who provide him service, it will cost alot. In addition to two room stewards, they will have 2 waiters for every meal and very unlikely that they will have the same waiters more than once. Then there are the maitire'd's in each different restaurant that they dine in. Proper tipping would be much more costly if they removed the auto gratuity.

And in the end, those who they gave the tips to won't benefit from it anyhow since it all must be turned into the general tip pool and redistributed to the entire crew.

So basically, it makes no sense to remove the auto gratuity because what you may be intending to accomplish will not be accomplished.

I do doubt the OP will be back....

It's not a question of how things are done in the USA. It's a question of how things are done by NCL. The day NCL starts registering all their ships in the USA, is the day anyone can start telling folks outside the USA how tipping is done here.

I knew when I read the OP it wouldn't take long for him to be branded a cheapskate. LOL.

It's not a question of how things are done in the USA. It's a question of how things are done by NCL. The day NCL starts registering all their ships in the USA, is the day anyone can start telling folks outside the USA how tipping is done here.

I knew when I read the OP it wouldn't take long for him to be branded a cheapskate. LOL.

The OP didn't just join CC, he joined two years ago. He knows what's going on with the service charge.

He asked if he could remove it, but he has no plans of spending 12 dollars per person per day in handed out gratuities. He just wants to remove the service charge.

Below is what he wrote. I assume you skimmed it and jumped to a conclusion.

obviously it sounds like you are one that does adjust, just a guess. Are you aware tipping personally still requires the person receiving the tip to place it in the tip pool? Yes, many of us have strong feelings on the subject as these tips are pretty much the crew members main source of income. Let's not get started on the subject of cruise lines paying their employees more, it is the same and many of us prefer the tipping method..

Nita

And you guessed wrongly, this is often what happens when people try to judge others!! Some have already assumed that the OP's intention is not to tip at all, in spite of the fact his post clearly said "....I prefer to make direct cash gratuities....."

For your information, I personally believe that the way NCL encourage the tips to be paid makes it simple for all. What I always seek to do on the CC threads though, is answer the question which the OP asks...and that is what I will continue to do.

Archived