Emerald, Baja Deck Balcony Info.

ribarfly

After 27-cruises with RCL we have booked our first Princess cruise on the Emerald for April 11. Last October I booked a balcony guarantee and we have been assigned to Baja Deck-11 cabin B242, I believe its portside forward. I am looking for any opinions or experience you can offer about the Emerald, the Baja Deck, our cabin & location or any general info on the food, best bars etc.

Thanks,

Ron :)

After 27-cruises with RCL we have booked our first Princess cruise on the Emerald for April 11. Last October I booked a balcony guarantee and we have been assigned to Baja Deck-11 cabin B242, I believe its portside forward. I am looking for any opinions or experience you can offer about the Emerald, the Baja Deck, our cabin & location or any general info on the food, best bars etc.

Thanks,

This is the location I usually choose. In fact, I have Baja 246 booked for 44 days in 2011.

We always stay on Baja deck on all our princess cruises. Great fully covered balcony with 2 chairs and a table. Was towards the front on the CB and felt no difference from our back cabins. You will like being close the the stairs and lifts. We have found the port side of the ship to have more to look at in most ports.

I think you will be happy with Princess.

Baja is the best deck, in my opinion; you picked well. I am Platinum with Princess and have been on 29 cruises total. Like you, I have cruised mostly with Royal Caribbean, and prefer them. Perhaps not like you, however, I am a little disappointed in RCI's pricing of late, and sometimes opt for a more economical cruise.

My wife and I are young and sophisticated without being snobby. Princess is fine with us. So too, NCL and even Carnival. If you know how to cruise well, any cruise line can be quite enjoyable.

By the way, we will embark on Emerald when you disembark. Enjoy your cruise. Princess is not just like RCI, but it's a fine line and very enjoyable, especially in a Baja balcony.

I would disagree with all the above comments. We prefer Caribe Deck balconies on any Grand Class ship since you get more for your money. The Caribe deck balcony is more than 50% larger than the balconies on Baja (or Aloha) and give you a covered portion (this is the same size as the covered portion on Aloha and Baja plus and additional open space. They also give you more chairs. For us, we like having both covered and open space (not to mention its just a lot more total space).

Hank

I too prefer the Caribe deck balconies because the balcony is twice the size of those on Baja deck. The inside space in the standard balcony rooms on Princess are smaller than on Royal, also there is no loveseat/sofa just a chair.

Adagio's Lounge is well liked by many and no surprise since it is located aft. IMO, any place aft is a great place for me.

Enjoy your first Princess cruise!:)

I would disagree with all the above comments. We prefer Caribe Deck balconies on any Grand Class ship since you get more for your money. The Caribe deck balcony is more than 50% larger than the balconies on Baja (or Aloha) and give you a covered portion (this is the same size as the covered portion on Aloha and Baja plus and additional open space. They also give you more chairs. For us, we like having both covered and open space (not to mention its just a lot more total space).

I too prefer the Caribe deck balconies because the balcony is twice the size of those on Baja deck. The inside space in the standard balcony rooms on Princess are smaller than on Royal, also there is no loveseat/sofa just a chair. Adagio's Lounge is well liked by many and no surprise since it is located aft. IMO, any place aft is a great place for me. Enjoy your first Princess cruise!

I think "disagree" is a bit strong when it comes to matters of preference. Many people find the Caribe deck balconies less private (i.e. less comfortable) than those above, despite the covered portion. That may be because you can't be near the railing without being in the elements and view of all. (You can sit inside your cabin with the door open, if you find that far-from-the-railing experience appealing.) Then too, others still feel there are onlookers who can see under the covered portion of the Caribe balconies.

My wife and I enjoy the feeling of being "alone at sea" that can come from sitting on a private balcony by the railing. If you value square footage over privacy, you may want to book a Caribe deck balcony cabin. We prefer the Baja balconies. In any case, I think we all agree the OP should not worry about the upgrade received.

I think "disagree" is a bit strong when it comes to matters of preference. Many people find the Caribe deck balconies less private (i.e. less comfortable) than those above, despite the covered portion. That may be because you can't be near the railing without being in the elements and view of all. (You can sit inside your cabin with the door open, if you find that far-from-the-railing experience appealing.) Then too, others still feel there are onlookers who can see under the covered portion of the Caribe balconies.

My wife and I enjoy the feeling of being "alone at sea" that can come from sitting on a private balcony by the railing. If you value square footage over privacy, you may want to book a Caribe deck balcony cabin. We prefer the Baja balconies. In any case, I think we all agree the OP should not worry about the upgrade received.

I actually did not use the word "disagree" I simply stated my preference. I would however disagree that many people find the Caribe deck less private or less comfortable. From reading the boards over the years, I think many do enjoy and prefer the Caribe deck cabins.

In any case, the OP shouldn't worry or for that matter be disappointed since he/she originally booked a balcony guarantee, they did not receive an upgrade.:)

I actually did not use the word "disagree" I simply stated my preference. I would however disagree that many people find the Caribe deck less private or less comfortable. From reading the boards over the years, I think many do enjoy and prefer the Caribe deck cabins.

In any case, the OP shouldn't worry or for that matter be disappointed since he/she originally booked a balcony guarantee, they did not receive an upgrade.:)

rnenrick qouted two posts, the first of which used the word "disagree".

From reading these boards it seems that many do prefer the Caribe decks, which is fine. I, personally, prefer the completely covered decks for all of the reasons rnenrick stated. As I only take up "x" amount of space when I'm sitting on my balcony, I just don't see the need for more square footage.

Ultimately, it's a great thing that we all have different preferences, that way we're not fighting to all have the same thing!

OP, we love Baja deck!

Thanks everyone, I do appreciate all the differing opinions and keep them coming. It sounds like we have a good cabin in a great location but what about the rest of the ship:

What kind of activities can we expect? Trivia, Karaoke etc.

What are the best eateries for breakfast & diner?

Best place to hang out after diner for a drink?

Do they have the MUTS every night? Do you need a reservation?

How are the shows? Do they have late night comedy?

We are really looking forward to Princess, with all the anticipation it feels like we are starting the cruise passion all over again.

DH and I will be on Emerald in July and have also booked a Baja cabin with balcony, our first! Is the balcony large enough for 2 normal sized, but 6' tall, adults to sit in comfortably or should I look at Caribe? Does anyone have a square footage estimate? I really don't care about the covered v non-covered, I just want to be able to sit in our chairs comfortably.

Thanks to all for the information already provided! And I'm looking forward to more information to come!

Thanks everyone, I do appreciate all the differing opinions and keep them coming. It sounds like we have a good cabin in a great location but what about the rest of the ship:

What kind of activities can we expect? Trivia, Karaoke etc.

Yes all of the above, look in the Patter each day for activities.

What are the best eateries for breakfast & diner?

We love the DR for Breakfast/lunch.

Best place to hang out after diner for a drink?

Adagio is the best.

Do they have the MUTS every night? Do you need a reservation?

Yes, and no you don't need a res.

How are the shows? Do they have late night comedy?

Watch the Patter for the shows each day.

We are really looking forward to Princess, with all the anticipation it feels like we are starting the cruise passion all over again.

:):)

DH and I will be on Emerald in July and have also booked a Baja cabin with balcony, our first! Is the balcony large enough for 2 normal sized, but 6' tall, adults to sit in comfortably or should I look at Caribe? Does anyone have a square footage estimate? I really don't care about the covered v non-covered, I just want to be able to sit in our chairs comfortably.

Thanks to all for the information already provided! And I'm looking forward to more information to come!

They are not that small. About 9X5.

I remember the knee knocker balconies cut out of the hull on the old Regal/Crown Princess. You had to face each other to sit down. Those were bad.

And that's what we saw on the Carnival Fascination when we cruised out of Jax this past summer. Granted, it's an older ship, but the prices were way too much for what you got. I just want to make sure we can both be comfortable when enjoying our balcony. And if I'm going to get some sun, I'll do that around the pools!

Thanks again!

OP, we enjoyed Baja deck on Emerald because it was the last deck to have no balconies above you looking down into you, if you know what I mean. All decks below you are staggered, so that you can see others on their balconies. Hubby and I said we preferred this deck for this reason. Some people don't care about people looking into their balconies from above, but we said we thought we chose wisely for this reason. And it didn't matter that it was a smaller balcony; it was absolutely fine for us. :)

I think you'll enjoy Emerald after RCI. There were definitely things we loved and didn't love, but overall it was a nice ship and a very relaxing cruise for us.

Archived