Adventure OTS, May 2, 2010, Transatlantic

K&JfromPDX

Guys:

Don't forget that sailaway is at 8:30 PM; not the usual 5 or 6 PM. Since most of us, if not all of us, are late seating, it would be impossible for us to meet at the Sky Bar at sailaway. We could still meet around 5 or so. That way, the first seating dinner folks (if there are any of us) can still make it to the Sky Bar. We will have to work around the muster drill. Since I have never sailed so late, I don't know what time the must drill might be scheduled for.

Juan

Guys:

Don't forget that sailaway is at 8:30 PM; not the usual 5 or 6 PM. Since most of us, if not all of us, are late seating, it would be impossible for us to meet at the Sky Bar at sailaway. We could still meet around 5 or so. That way, the first seating dinner folks (if there are any of us) can still make it to the Sky Bar. We will have to work around the muster drill. Since I have never sailed so late, I don't know what time the must drill might be scheduled for.

Juan

Good point, I forgot that sailaway was at 8:30pm. :)

Hi!

Well.. the ship departure is scheduled for 8:30pm-latest on board 6:30pm. I doubt the muster drill will be between 6.30 and 8.30pm as there is early dinner. Maybe it will be scheduled for the next day? Requirements are within the first 24hrs on board?

How about a get together at 5pm on the first day?

I think most of us will be on board already at that time.

:)

Andreas:

You are right, the drill could be held the following day (Monday) as the law states that it must take place within 24 hours.

I think 5 PM is a good time. Everyone should be on board by then. Let's see what everybody else says and what place is picked as the meeting point.

Juan

Andreas:

You are right, the drill could be held the following day (Monday) as the law states that it must take place within 24 hours.

I think 5 PM is a good time. Everyone should be on board by then. Let's see what everybody else says and what place is picked as the meeting point.

Juan

5pm at the sky bar sounds great to me for the sail away:)

Does anyone have an idea of how early we can board the ship?

I'm hoping you do, Juan. You're becoming my hero.:D

To enjoyssuites (Steve, Mark & Tom)

Sorry to hear about no OBC. :(

I wasn't sure why they rejected your request so I did a board search for posts containing "OBC" and the answer jumped out at me. :o

It all has to do whether the price drop is before or after the last payment due date.

Here's a link to another cruise thread, enchantment of the seas sailing 6/3/10, where they are discussing getting OBCs:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=23732301&highlight=obc#post23732301

also, check out this site for all the cruise ships docked at any port by date:

http://cruisett.com/ports.php

02-May-10 12328Adventure Of The Seas, Carnival Miracle, Carnival Victory, Caribbean Princess

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know if RCCL collects your luggage automatically at the airport and puts them directly on your transfer bus and loads them on the ship or do we collect our luggage in san juan and put them on the ship yourself.

Thanks for the info,

Mark

Does anyone have an idea of how early we can board the ship?

I'm hoping you do, Juan. You're becoming my hero.:D

Alfred:

Now I am scared to let you down or disappoint you with wrong/incorrect information. HA HA But I am hugely flattered to become your hero at any time.

Here's my take. I am pretty sure that you will be able to board by 11:30 or 12:00. I have never had any problem boarding any ship by that time. The thing is that while most cruiselines let you go directly to your cabin, RCI does not allow access to cabins until 1 PM. So if you board by noon, you'll have to go to the Windjammer (buffet) and go find some spot to sit and relax, all the while tugging your hand luggage with you until you can go to your cabin. Sometimes, not the most pleasant experience of the easiest way to begin a cruise. But rest assured that you will not have access to your cabin until 1 PM. Some people pack a swimsuit in their hand luggage and go to the pool until they can go to their cabin. They start their cruise nice and easy relaxing by the pool with drink in hand until they can go to their cabin.

My plane lands at 12:30 so I don't see myself boarding before 2:00 PM. For sure, cabins will be open by then, and I'll change into something comfortable (shorts, polo, flip flops) and I'm ready to start vacation. Is it May 2nd yet??? Is it 5 PM at the Sky Bar yet???

Also note that the following ships will be docking in Barcelona on May 15th which is the date on which we arrive:

Adventure Of The Seas,

Brilliance Of The Seas,

Disney Magic

My advice is that you plan accordingly if you will be taking your own transportation after getting off the ship; specially if you are going to the airport for your flight out (like I am). With three ships in port, taxis may be at a premium at certains times of the day.

Just foof for thought and so that everyone is informed.

Juan

Mark:

It sounds as if you purchased airport to ship transfers through RCI. If this is the case, when you load your luggage in the bus at the airport, you wil not see them again until they arrive at your cabin You should not have to unload them and check them in at at the pier in Barcelona. At least, that has been my experience in the past. You hope that's the way it will be to make it easier for you.

Juan

Enjoysuites:

I don't know what pricing you may be looking at. However, I have never purchased airfare through the cruiseline because I have always been able to find better rates booking my air fare separately. As a matter of fact, there was an article her in Cruise Critic a couple of weeks ago where most passengers report finding better air ares independently compared to the one offered by the cruise line.

Since you mention that you have booked through a travel agent, I would not be suprised if he/she can come up with a better price option than that offered by RCI.

Juan

Juan, thanks once again. I'm definitely going to board early to enjoy the ship and avoid any possible cab shortages. :)

Enjoyssuites, I hope you allow me to see your suite. I've only had a few glimpses from the hallway so would appreciate it. :)

I found a few sites that explain the taxi fare system used in San Juan.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/getting-around-by-taxi/

and

http://www.cabspr.com/

and this site with a map

http://www.gotopuertorico.com/puerto-rico-taxis.php

Does anyone know if the Dengue fever alert for Puerto Rico has been lifted?

Should I use mosquito repellant?

30 day countdown begins!!!! :D:D

Here's the list again. Let me know if there are any changes. The ship is supposed to be almost full. We should be able to count on a much bigger FOD once we're on board.

Enjoyssuites
Steve, Mark & Tom
West Coast

K&JfromPDX
Keith & Jeff
Portland
, OR

Christefan
Chris & Stefan
Ft Lauderdale, FL

8373seth
Seth & Todd
Ohio

Levijohns
Levi & Boris Ft Collins, CO ( ?? )

Jjb415
Jack
San Francisco, CA

Andie berl
Andreas
Munich, Germany

Reinreiter
Juan
Ft Lauderdale, FL

Roger&Martin
Roger & Martin
Miami, FL

Mark Weitzel
Mark
Lancaster, PA

Klocke7
Kevin & Stephen
Edinburgh UK

Cruiselovers21
Bernd & Eelko
Bocholt/Amsterdam

Geminitraveler2
Alfred
NYC

Hi Alfred:

You are right. 30 days from today the party begins. As far as your list, only Stefan is coming.

Juan

Thanks for the update.

It looks like the postings have slowed a bit. Hopefully everyone is well. I guess since the FOD and sail away times/places are set there's not too much to post about. Also, everyone seems to be an experienced traveler to our community's credit.

Personally, I can't help thinking about the AOS cruise. I finally got 2 friends at work to take a no fly cruise out of NY so I'm helping them prepare. It's their first.

Talk soon.:)

30 day countdown begins!!!! :D:D

Here's the list again. Let me know if there are any changes. The ship is supposed to be almost full. We should be able to count on a much bigger FOD once we're on board.

Enjoyssuites
Steve, Mark & Tom
West Coast

K&JfromPDX
Keith & Jeff
Portland
, OR

Christefan
Chris & Stefan
Ft Lauderdale, FL

8373seth
Seth & Todd
Ohio

Levijohns
Levi & Boris Ft Collins, CO ( ?? )

Jjb415
Jack
San Francisco, CA

Andie berl
Andreas
Munich, Germany

Reinreiter
Juan
Ft Lauderdale, FL

Roger&Martin
Roger & Martin
Miami, FL

Mark Weitzel
Mark
Lancaster, PA

Klocke7
Kevin & Stephen
Edinburgh UK

Cruiselovers21
Bernd & Eelko
Bocholt/Amsterdam

Geminitraveler2
Alfred
NYC

Thanks Alfred for keeping the list !! :)

Archived