Black Sand Beach in the Southern Caribbean?

JackieD223

I was just doing some research on the islands that we are going to on the Victory - St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados, Dominica and St. Maarten - and I read that there are black sand beaches on some of the islands. I would LOVE to see one. Can you recommend an island or beach that would be best to go to? :D

Unless it's just a pass-by glance, don't go out of your way for black sand....HOT as hell! You can't lie comfortably on black sand...it will burn the skin off of you!

It doesn't "reflect light" like white sand..and the texture isn't pleasant, either! If you see a black sand beach, stop, say "Oooh, cool" , then move on!

I was just doing some research on the islands that we are going to on the Victory - St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados, Dominica and St. Maarten - and I read that there are black sand beaches on some of the islands. I would LOVE to see one. Can you recommend an island or beach that would be best to go to? :D

Mero Beach in Dominica it has a few chairs and a bar.

Black sand equates to active volcanic activity. Dominica is definitely in that category. But the island interior is so beautiful - I would not waste any time at a beach!

We saw the black sand beach at Dominica, don't waste your time, it's not really what you think. Visit the rain forests, there is beauty.

There are black sand beaches on St. Lucia, but have others have said, they are cool to see, not so much to lounge on for the day!

I just have to say I love the little picture of the drinks you have with the words: Empty nester cruise. Kids? What kids?

Cracks me up since I am a recent empty nester as well. :D

On Dominica, we went for an island tour with Woody. We went through the rainforest and many other places. We went to 3 different beaches. I have a variety of shades of black sand from those beaches. What a wonderful experience that was!

On St. Lucia we went to Anse Cachon (sp?) and it was also black sand. We had chairs, so the sand's heat wasn't a problem.

I also have black sand from the beach at Tacoma, Washington! Good ole' Mt. Rainier is a volcano. :)

Enjoy your quest!

Thanks for the tips! Definitely will just hop out of the car/cab, take some pictures and grab some sand ;)

Pics are good. Grabbing some sand is bad. In some places it's actually illegal. Regardless of the legality, think green and leave things as you found them so that future visitors can have the same experience.

In St Lucia book the tour with Cosol. Search this site and you'll find reviews - I think he has a website too. Part of the all day trip is an hour or so at a resort Julski (I think) or something like that. The resort is on a black sand beach between the 2 pinions. It is a great day and the price was good. You get to see the beautiful island.

Archived