Bridgetown Help

travelangel7

Hi,

We will be in Barbados for 1 day with our cruise in Feb. I love beaches but my husband likes to see cities and history behind them.

Any recommendations of things to see in Bridgetown? Is it a walkable distance from the ship?

I was thinking doing a half day in Bridgetown and then half in Accra beach that I keep hearing about.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Hi - Been to Barbados many times. Sometimes we do excursions but other times we just walk into town to explore. All you have to do is exit the terminal and follow the water straight into town. You will pass a local fish market on the way in. If you stay towards the right you'll come to the "boardwalk" along the water. To the left you'll find the town. Don't only walk the main street. A few weeks ago we found a pedestrian street about 2 streets in from the main shopping area. No Diamonds International etc. on that street, just local shops. We also found the synogogue and 2 churches. It's an easy walk, less than a mile each way.;)

Like SandyR said Bridgetown is within easy walking distance of the port and their are quite a few historic buildings in Bridgetown. You will find the parliament buildings which I think are the oldest of this type of bulding in the Western Hemisphere. There is also St. Michaels Cathedral....which is also quite a historic building as well.

I am not sure if you maybe able to do both this an Accra beach...I guess it will depend on how long your ship will be in port and how much time you want to spend at each location.

we will be in Barbados in March - thinking about A & E tours or just exploring Bridgetown on our own and then Accra Beach - is Bridgetown worth doing or is it just like any other Caribbean town? Thanks.

..”is Bridgetown worth doing or is it just like any other Caribbean town?”

No, Bridgetown isn't like any other Caribbean island.

Many visitors use the words 'dirty' and 'expensive'. Most feel that they should have used their precious time for a tour and /or a beach.

One should see Bridgetown, but please do it when you return for a week.

If you feel compelled to visit Bridgetown, go to Cave Shepherd on Broadstreet and check it out, they have it all and......they may still have the sale on the $99US microwave for $299US or the $49US mixer for $198US.

Barbados is a lovely island. Perhaps the most diverse in the Caribbean, but it is expensive.

Bargains can be found in local handiworks, rum and (some) linen, but if you're looking for anything else, this isn't the place.

Enjoy the countryside, the beaches and the restaurants of Barbados, but do your shopping in the leewards.

Many visitors use the words 'dirty' and 'expensive'. Most feel that they should have used their precious time for a tour and /or a beach.

If you feel compelled to visit Bridgetown, go to Cave Shepherd on Broadstreet and check it out, they have it all and......they may still have the sale on the $99US microwave for $299US or the $49US mixer for $198US.

Barbados is a lovely island. Perhaps the most diverse in the Caribbean, but it is expensive.

Bargains can be found in local handiworks, rum and (some) linen, but if you're looking for anything else, this isn't the place.

Enjoy the countryside, the beaches and the restaurants of Barbados, but do your shopping in the leewards.

While I will concur with you that Bridgetown\Barbados is an expensive

destination, I have yet to hear it being described as dirty.:eek::(

It is no dirtier and alot cleaner than many cities the world over.

Sorry, no offense intended. I get to the island quite a few times a year and it is my opinion that the downtown is dirty.

Apparently, Tyrone Applewhaite of you Daily Nation newspaper also thinks so:

http://news.caribseek.com/Barbados/Daily_Nation/article_83342.shtml

Google 'Bridgetown, Barbados dirty' and you'll get many hits.

Sorry, but not everyone sees it as clean, but the rest of the island certainly makes up for that shortcoming.

Quite a walk, the ship will be at the cruise terminal which is a bit sort of industrial, nothing much there, the walk will be a waste of port time I think. A pleasant enough stroll when you get to town along the newish boardwalk round the careenage harbour, left are the shops & main street on over the bridge round to the right is the waterfront area & bar then on to town beaches, not the best bit of the island. If you go to BDS & just see town & a bit of commercial beach you ain't seen the best of the place.

Sorry, no offense intended. I get to the island quite a few times a year and it is my opinion that the downtown is dirty.

Apparently, Tyrone Applewhaite of you Daily Nation newspaper also thinks so:

http://news.caribseek.com/Barbados/Daily_Nation/article_83342.shtml

Google 'Bridgetown, Barbados dirty' and you'll get many hits.

Sorry, but not everyone sees it as clean, but the rest of the island certainly makes up for that shortcoming.

No offense taken. Just pointing out that I've seen some dirtier and some cleaner. Mr. Applewhaite like all of us is entitled to his opinion as well.:)

Quite a walk, the ship will be at the cruise terminal which is a bit sort of industrial, nothing much there, the walk will be a waste of port time I think. A pleasant enough stroll when you get to town along the newish boardwalk round the careenage harbour, left are the shops & main street on over the bridge round to the right is the waterfront area & bar then on to town beaches, not the best bit of the island. If you go to BDS & just see town & a bit of commercial beach you ain't seen the best of the place.

So If the town and ACCRA is not "the best of the place" what in your opinion is??

Difficult when time is a problem, depends what you want I suppose too, but the East coast is wild & beautiful, you can see the waves crashing in at North point, Flower forest is a beautiful natural area, there are ancient plantation houses, stunning beaches like Crane, Bottom Bay. Catamaran trips with turtle swimming & snorkeling, a real submarine. A great beach up on the west coast at Mullins, quaint shopping in the chattel village in Holetown, old fashioned Speightstown. I do appreciate you can't do a lot on a day cruise stop though.

So If the town and ACCRA is not "the best of the place" what in your opinion is??
Where did you get the notion that Accra is not one of the better places? :confused:

Most people who've been there reckon it's one of the nicer S.Coast spots

and that includes the locals, who have all the choice in the world, year-round! :D

Accra/Rockley's about 2.5 miles out of the town -on the breezy South Coast!

2d3d4866.jpg

This is Rockley Beach, right near Accra Beach Hotel

where us locals swim, most Sunday mornings.

Isn't it awful? LOL!

No offence intended, I just meant that to visit Bim & only have a wander round town then sit on one of the nearest beaches isn't getting the most out of a visit, like asking someone what they saw on the island & they say "the boatyard"

No offence intended,

I just meant that to visit Bim & only have a wander round town

then sit on one of the nearest beaches isn't getting the most out of a visit,

like asking someone what they saw on the island & they say "the boatyard"

..which is why I always suggest that First Timers or I-don't-know-what-to-do-ers

take a general island tour of the island

which will take in 100 x what they'd experience 'on the nearest beach' as you put it!

How's your snow in Hampshire??

My cousin in Privett has about 12-14 inches on the ground

and have made it out of the house today, over to Alton

only to trek in supplies for their coming hibernation :D

since much more of the cold white stuff is expected, they tell me!

Where did you get the notion that Accra is not one of the better places? :confused:

Most people who've been there reckon it's one of the nicer S.Coast spots

and that includes the locals, who have all the choice in the world, year-round! :D

Accra/Rockley's about 2.5 miles out of the town -on the breezy South Coast!

2d3d4866.jpg

This is Rockley Beach, right near Accra Beach Hotel

where us locals swim, most Sunday mornings.

Isn't it awful? LOL!

No my intention is to go to Bridgetown for a bit and then cab to Rockley, but someone else mentionbed it may not be the one of the better places to go to see Barbados. the pics look awesome!

Where on Rockley does the famous boardwalk start?

Where on Rockley does the famous boardwalk start?

You're looking straight at it!

..to the left of the photograph above, as the beach tapers off near the tall trees

-that's where the boardwalk starts!

It then runs West for 1.2 km. until it connects you with Hastings Beach

7239e466.jpg

-and another 1.5 miles or so Westward along Hastings Beach..

41d7f8f1.jpg

-after some coochycoo..

you'll get to Hilton Barbados' beach!

808e77fc.jpg

Archived