Bridgetown Help

travelangel7

Where did you get the notion that Accra is not one of the better places? :confused:

Most people who've been there reckon it's one of the nicer S.Coast spots

and that includes the locals, who have all the choice in the world, year-round! :D

Accra/Rockley's about 2.5 miles out of the town -on the breezy South Coast!

2d3d4866.jpg

This is Rockley Beach, right near Accra Beach Hotel

where us locals swim, most Sunday mornings.

Isn't it awful? LOL!

Yeah..sad...that's My kind of "awful":D

especailly when it's 25 degrees farenheit and icy here!

I took a cab into bridgetown..granted it was on a Sunday-but during the holiday season so SOME shops were open....i walked back which i thought was a bit long (and hot) and not terribly exciting!

that said i found a cute little market on the way back to the ship and got some cute earrings there....(not the shops at the pier...)

and i saw some really interesting bugs in trees...lots of people were taking their picture! (caterpillar-ish...kinda pretty, but gross too!):p

That said, I think next time i will hit the beach!

hey aplmac...are they ALL that "AWFUL"????:)

If we decide to visit the synagogue' date='

can we just walk in or do we have to arrange it beforehand? [/quote']Wife sez she thinks you can just walk in, there's an entry fee involved.

Interesting place..and there's a Museum now.

Some years ago they dug up the whole yard and found layers of all sorts of cool stuff.

Wife sez she thinks you can just walk in, there's an entry fee involved.

Interesting place..and there's a Museum now.

Some years ago they dug up the whole yard and found layers of all sorts of cool stuff.

OMG! I WONT ask what kind of cool stuff! I know some people who were brought up in Barbados and they say the synagogue is a "Jewel" and we shouldn't miss it. We will be in Barbados twice (b2b cruises). Once is midweek. Maybe we can go to the beach in the morning, then to the synagogue in the afternoon (I guess we better shower first!). We will also be there on a Sat. The website mentioned Friday night services, not Saturday morning. Anyway, I doubt we will want to miss the beach!!!!

Yeah..sad...that's My kind of "awful":D

-especially when it's 25 degrees Farenheit and icy here! ===> Enjoy!!

I found a cute little market on the way back to the ship and got some cute earrings there....

(not the shops at the pier...) ===> You found Pelican Village!

-next time i will hit the beach!

hey aplmac...are they ALL that "AWFUL"?? ===> Oh gosh yes!

Oh yeah...all our Barbados beaches are awful. L:DL

We have a reputation for that.

d97cd55c.jpg

Here's another one you won't like.

Look thru the whole stash of Barbados threads

for my "Post your memorable Barbados pics here!" thread

and have a look!

BBay-796.jpg

Bottom Bay - Eeeuuww!

Hope you'll post your pics there too, huh?

Thanks for the link. I looked for an e-mail address, but couldn't find one.

We would like to spend a morning at a beach. I thought that after lunch we could tour the synagogue. Can we walk from the ship? Would it be too hot to walk around 2pm?

On our second day in Barbados, I thought it may be interesting to visit a Greathouse. Would that be feasible if we leave the ship around 2pm? Would we have enough time?

I really appreciate all your help!

having been to Barbados several times on holiday apart from cruise visits, I would not reccomend Bridgtown as somewhere to spend any length of time, but if you don't mind walking in the heat, get yourself a local map (or download from Google Earth) and follow Princess Alice Highway from the cruise terminal, keep an eye out on your left and after a few hundred yards you should spot the bus terminal on the other side of the road, go a little further and cross to Cumberland Rd. and follow this to St Mary's Church, worth a look, now the town is on your right, feel free to wander around, get off the main shopping street for local colour and people watching, have a drink at one of the local bars, you will be made welcome, if you don't want alcohol, try the non-alcoholic black malt beer, very refreshing ( ps, if anyone knows where I can get this in the UK, please let me know) always heading southwest to Trafalgar Square and the Bridge, couple of nice bars and boats to look at on the other side, on the right and the main bus terminal on the left.

Bridgtown itself is not a very attractive city by 'western' standards, there is a lot of derelict buildings and shanty type properties, even close to the centre, but the locals always seem friendly and helpful, but as with anywhere, even back home, take sensible precautions.( some of the other Caribbean cities are much worse!)

If you are a bit more adventurous, go back to the bus depot on Princess Alice Highway and take a yellow bus to Paynes Bay, in my opinion, the nicest beach on Barbados (plenty of posts about the buses, search the forum).

If you want to do an excursion, I would suggest a tour, the east coast and Bathsheba is very scenic, the Flower forest is worth a visit, or you can visit Concorde near the airport, you can also, if you have time, take afternoon tea at Sandy Lane.

NB, if you intend to travel independantly, check all venues for opening times, I understand that the following are currently closed.Harrisons Caves, Graham Hall Nature Reserve, The Blue Monkey(sad)

So much to do, so little time!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd reply to what we did when we went to barbados- because it was my thread and question!

Because it was raining when we got to Barbados, we ended up going to Bridgetown first. Okay so everyone was right-- it was not so impressive and I was kinda dissapointed BUT we did some souveneer shopping and found the local people VERY NICE and HELPFUL!!!!

We then decided to take the bus to ACCRA beach. It was AMAZING! The water was rough but we loved it and enjoyed playing in the waves and body surfing!!!

We walked the fomous boardwalk and ended up taking a taxi back to the ship.

Okay APLMAC was right-- Accra/ Rockley was AWESOME! My husband wants to come and stay for a week.

Archived