$500 dollars for a balcony is it worth it?

Ok so every year I cruise I say I want to get a balcony. But then every year I don't because of the extra $. So this year I am seriously thinking about it for our Liberty Cruise. So please provide any opinions you have.

Questions

Is a balcony worth an extra $500?

Are the balconies views on the 6th deck on the liberty hindered by the life boats?

Do the balconies get really hot in the day time? Is there shade if I don't feel like sitting in the hot sun?

Does the balcony make your stateroom "feel" bigger?

Thanks!

Keep a watch for balcony guarantees. We sailed in November on the Serenade and the balcony ended up only costing us $40pp more than the outside deck three cabin we had. And when the cabin was assigned (about five days later) we had a hump on deck nine!!!

A balcony definitely makes your cabin seem bigger! Do they get hot? If the outside temp is hot and the ship is not moving, yes. Whether there is shade depends a lot on which direction the ship is sailing and time of day. Life boats do not affect views.

A balcony is a must if you really want to enjoy your cabin and the surroundings. Our friends talked us into our first cruise and they were already up to a balcony treat and I will tell you I won"t cruise if I can not have the balcony. I am not a person who has to have it all, but I love my coffee out there in the AM and my cocktail there in the PM and it just is a place where you can relax, enjoy one another and have no stress. Hope this helps.

Not worth that much to me. For me, its all about price and what I get for my money. I will pay no more than $100/pp more for OV over inside or $200/pp more for balcony from inside. I am perfectly fine in an inside cabin usually but it also depends on where we are going & how long. 7 day+ cruises only - never for 3 or 4 day cruise. I would rather spend the other money on excursions/entertainment/food/alcohol/pictures/giftshop etc. If the price is right, I'm on it. If not, I'll skip the balcony.

I don't use the balcony that much though. Some use it all the time. I would rather be out & about. One cruise was all about leisure - I just wanted to veg. So the balcony came in handy for just hanging out in the cabin, drinking, sleeping etc. I do enjoy having a cup of coffee out there first thing in the morning or sitting out there while DH is getting ready.

IMHO, I feel you ought to go with the balcony. Even though I don't live on my balcony, I love having one. Go outside when we sail into a port, crack the door before I go to bed to hear the ocean waves hitting the ship (sleep like a baby) Breakfast on the balcony, check the weather out, room feels bigger, etc etc etc. I've cruised long enouugh when only the suites, and I mean VERY few cabins had a suite, Very expensive. Loved it when the newer ships came out with a balcony for a standard size stateroom.

Dave

So the question is, is your significant other worth $35.71 per day for the joy of a balcony????

Ha! Interesting way to phrase the question. You must be a lawyer;)

Of course, the "worth" of our significant other cannot be measured in dollars and cents.

The fairer question is whether the $500 spent on a balcony could be better used for intimate dinners, more exciting excursions, etc., etc..

My own sense is that a balcony is not worth $500 for seven days.

You can consider the balcony to be an extension of your cabin. Great to have breakfast or a cup of coffee in the morning... a drink before dinner or a night cap in the evening without having to share the surroundings with the rest of the ship.

It's really tough to do a balcony and go back to an inside or outside stateroom. You'll be hooked. Take the chance and enjoy it. :)

For me-gotta have a balcony. I won't cruise without one. I could never stay in an inside room. They are tiny and with no window it would be like staying in a closet. However lots of folks are perfectly happy in one so it depends on the person.

We use the balcony a lot and there is nothing like being able to get up and walk out in your nightgown or night shirt or whatever-no combing your hair and putting on makeup- and watching the ocean while enjoying a cup of coffee delivered by room service!

We're always out there for the approach to a new port and again when we sail away from that port. It's great.

Have a great time whatever you decide!

Ok so every year I cruise I say I want to get a balcony. But then every year I don't because of the extra $. So this year I am seriously thinking about it for our Liberty Cruise. So please provide any opinions you have.

Questions

Is a balcony worth an extra $500?

Are the balconies views on the 6th deck on the liberty hindered by the life boats?

Do the balconies get really hot in the day time? Is there shade if I don't feel like sitting in the hot sun?

Does the balcony make your stateroom "feel" bigger?

Thanks!

That depends on you! I would not stay in a room without a balcony even if it were free.

I myself am happy to be just on a cruise I prefer Balconies but somtimes the cruise date I wanted it was ridiculous price and would book INT or OV

I made the mistake of spoiling my GF on her first cruise 5 years ago and booked a Balcony

Well now we dont do anything else and our next cruise we are in a JS:o

Just remember once you go Balcony it is tough to go back

We use the Balcony everyday whether for coffee in the morning or a drink at night

Pulling into or leaving a port

or maybe renewing our Balcony pledge:D

But do look for balcony GTY its a great way to have one with minimal cost over an OV

Personally, I just wouldn't pay that much more for a balcony. At the same time, I couldn't imagine not having a window. So it's certainly up to your preferences. I always feel like if I want the fresh air I can go upstairs. Having said that, I will always remember the three hour nap I took in the lounge chair at the edge of my balcony in my Owner's Suite upgrade. That was a lifetime highlight.

Balconies are the best. I would NOT book a cruise without one. This is your week away, your time together. There is nothing better than sharing a kiss goodnight and a drink on your balcony! It makes the cabin seem a little larger in my opinion. It's worth the extra bucks!

We were in a balcony cabin on 6 on Liberty and there was no obstructed view. It was glorious. I love balconies for all the reasons everyone else has listed. We just came back from an OV on Majesty, and while it was fine for 4 nights, I would not have enjoyed it for a longer trip. It is so nice to be able to open the door for fresh air and feel like you have your own little part of the ship to yourself. We aren't much for excursions, so to us the extra money is worth it.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Guess I am in the minority. I say $500. is too much for a balcony for 7 days. It can buy lots of excursions, drinks, or other things. I would rather cruise twice in an inside as opposed to once in a balcony. I like to try to cruise for $50. pp day, as opposed to $100. pp day. Makes for many more days at sea! :D We have had insides, oceanviews and balcony cabins. Sure, the balcony cabin is nice, but for the difference in money, I go with an inside. There are many places on the ship to go to have your own balcony time.

Hi to all,

Balconies are great for all of the reasons given but they have drawbacks as well. Is it worth $500 to have coffee outside when it may be windy, cold or too hot. Baconies can be much noisier if the neighbors are noisy and perhaps have their doors open or are on their own balconies, sometimes with other friends. If you are a none smoker, some smokers take balconies for the convenience of being able to smoke and it can filter back into your cabin, especially if you leave your door open. When I have had balconies I did find I spent more time in my cabin than interacting with the other passengers which is one of the reasons I enjoy cruising. However, back to what others have stated it is up to you and at a reasonable price would be nice to try and a special treat. Enjoy your cruise whatever you choose!!!

Our first cruise was on a small ship (RCCL's Song of America) in a tiny inside cabin. I didn't give any thought to the cabin and was just thrilled to be on a cruise! As my husband and I have gotten older and our wallets have gotten a little fatter, we book only balcony cabins. Beware! Once you have one, it's hard to go back! After reading these posts, obviously not everyone feels that way. I guess only you know how much $500 is worth to you. If it means less shore excursions or pinching pennies in other ways, I wouldn't do it. A balcony room is definitely nicer than an inside or OV room, but it's just a small part of the cruise experience!

Archived