Questions about Canaleto

Rudolph38

Our fifth cruise with HAL is coming up in February. We have never been on a ship that had the Canaleto option. I have several questions about it.

1) Where is it located?

2) Am I correct that there is no extra charge involved?

3) How soon in advance do you have to book for dinner?

4) Is it full waiter service or partial buffet as in the Lido for dinner?

5) On our last cruise, we enjoyed not taking extra clothes along and had dinner in the Lido on formal nights. If one books Canaleto on a formal night, is formal wear expected?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Rudy

Our fifth cruise with HAL is coming up in February. We have never been on a ship that had the Canaleto option. I have several questions about it.

1) Where is it located?

2) Am I correct that there is no extra charge involved?

3) How soon in advance do you have to book for dinner?

4) Is it full waiter service or partial buffet as in the Lido for dinner?

5) On our last cruise, we enjoyed not taking extra clothes along and had dinner in the Lido on formal nights. If one books Canaleto on a formal night, is formal wear expected?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Rudy

1) Forward end of the Lido - port on some ships, starboard on others. Just aft of the glass elevators. It shows on the deck plans for some ships, but I think not all that have it.

2) Correct

3) I don't know what the minimum is, but we booked 2 days in advance on the Noordam. While we were there, several tables remained empty the entire time (6:00p to 7-something) so I imagine if you went early you might be able to walk-in.

4) Full service - and very good service!

5) We were there on a casual night, and about half the men had jackets, but most had no tie. I would guess on a formal night you would see a mix of formal and casual.

You can dress as you would for dinner in the lido. I didn't see any formal dress there during our cruise.

While reservations aren't required, they are often needed. I'd suggest making them at the beginning of the cruise even if it will be several days ahead. We ate there early in our cruise and tried to get another reservation later in the cruise, but they were full.

Some of the entrees are spicy. We were later told that they'll tone down then down if requested. I liked mine, but J jr. thought it was too spicy

What type of food is served? Does anyone have a menu to post?

Love the Noordam. Sailed on her Nov. 2008 and March 2009.

They serve Italian food and stewards are dressed like Venetian gonoliers.

Canaletto Menu

ANTIPASTI e ZUPE:

Our chef’s selection of antipasti, cucumber and olives

Insalata Canaletto – Seasonal greens and tomato, cucumber and olives

Minestrone – A flavorful tomato broth consisting of white beans, pasta shells, fresh vegetables and thyme

Zuppe Di Pesce – Assorted seafood simmered with vegetables, tomatoes, flat parsley and saffron

PASTA, CARNE, PESCE e POLLO

Penne Alla Vodka – A deliciously light combination of our Pomodoro sauce, cream and vodka

Linguini Frutti Di Mare – Linguini pasta and clams, mussels, shrimps and scallops tossed in garlic, onions and cherry tomatoes

Baked Meat Lasagna Pomodoro – Baked with meat and tomato sauce and gratinated with four cheese sauce.

Veal Milanese – Breaded veal scaloppini with porcini mushrooms, spaghetti and vegetables

Chicken Marsala Scaloppini – Tender Scallops of chicken breast glazed with Marsala wine. Served with linguini pasta tossed with tomato and roasted garlic

Cod Putanesca – Marinated in lemon, oregano and olive oil, quickly sautéed and coated with a flavorful herbed tomato concassee with kalamata olives, capers and chopped parsley, served with grilled cheese polenta and balsamic glace

Spaghetti with Meatballs – The classic way to eat spaghetti; home made meatballs braised in a tomato and meat sauce served over olive oil tossed spaghetti

DOLCI

Trio of Tiramisu – Italy’s most famous dessert: presented in three flavored variations, espresso, lemon and Amaretto

Limoncello Crème – Refreshing crème topped with Tuscan lemon liqueur

Mille-Feuille of Madagascar Chocolate – With walnut praline and ice-cream

Gelato – A refreshing and full-flavored selection: strawberry, mango, vanilla and lemon

We'll be on Eurodam two cruises and we need to remember to book at least a dinner or two in Canaletto.

Pinnacle, Tamarind, Canaletto and dinner ashore both our visits to San Juan..... added to the wonderful Dining Room on Eurodam and we better increase the number of laps we walk the deck each day. :eek: It's great to have all these choices. We don't go to dinner in Lido but it's good that is another choice.

Just got off the Eurodam and we enjoyed the Canaletto...it was in a special section of the Lido buffet. We actually went there on the night it was the 2nd formal night for our cruise. Nothing on the MDR menu sounded good to us so we made reservations that afternoon for the Canaletto and got in, no problem!

Wonderful food, and husband said he had the best soup ever there and we loved the cotton candy served afterwards - yes, cotton candy.

My only issue was the overpowering smell of garlic that was coming from the chef only a few feet away sauteing massive amounts of the stuff while I was trying to enjoy my dessert. My eyes were watering, it was that strong.

But do book a meal in there...it was lovely.

We were on a HAL christmas cruise and ate at Caneletto one night. On any future cruises, I will skip it. Since it was right off the Lido you got all the noise from the buffet area. The service was good but the food was, IMHO only so-so. Nothing special.

How is tipping handled here. Do most tip extra?

Good question...

Do folks tip in Caneletto?

I hope to get a chance to eat there at least once on our upcoming cruise and would be inclined to bring something to tip with.

Yes, it was there on my last cruise on the Amsterdam in September. I also ate there on the Zaandam in November. The service was excellent on both ships but IMHO the food is not memorable. If you are used to authenic Italian restaurants at home you may be disappointed although it is a nice change from the MDR. The limoncello dessert was wonderful!!! I didn't see any random group seating on either ship. It seemed that if you made a reservation for two, you sat at a table for two.

Yes, it was there on my last cruise on the Amsterdam in September. I also ate there on the Zaandam in November. The service was excellent on both ships but IMHO the food is not memorable. If you are used to authenic Italian restaurants at home you may be disappointed although it is a nice change from the MDR. The limoncello dessert was wonderful!!! I didn't see any random group seating on either ship. It seemed that if you made a reservation for two, you sat at a table for two.

We live in the southwest desert so although our restaurants have authentic Mexican food there is no such thing as an Italian restaurant within I don't know how far. So it would be a nice break for us to have any kind of Italian food.

On some ships the free specialty restaurants have a 'sharing' option when you make reservations so hubby was hoping that was the case with the Canaletto. But personally I'd prefer a table for 2 since it would be nice to have a few meals with just the 2 of us, although we do often breakfast together in our cabin.

Thanks for answering.

Archived