Traveling to a port down South...

jaybird from SC

I think the next step in this thread s to start telling "when I was young" stories. You know, things like when I was young, it was so cold, we didn't make snowballs, we just grabbed a handful of frozen nitrogen out of the air and threw it.

You Northern folks do know that an inch of snow and 20 degree temps can shut us down for several days? I can hear you laughing...We do feel for you folks. Don't know how you survive those long, snowy winters.

An inch of snow? I am over in Greenville and I remember schools closing because it was snowing in Georgia and forecast to snow here.

An inch of snow? I am over in Greenville and I remember schools closing because it was snowing in Georgia and forecast to snow here.

Absolutely! I'm in eastern NC and the vague threat of snow will, at the very least, delay schools for a couple of hours. If we actually see 2 flakes, heck we're closed all day!

I do get tickled listening to people who move here from the north say that we southerners just don't know how to drive in the snow. You tell a northerner to be careful when it's snowing and they tell you not to worry because "I'm from the north and I know how to drive in the snow". What they know about, is driving on streets that have been well scraped and salted. We don't have the equipment for that here because it happens so rarely. We are just totally NOT prepared for snow.

Guess what? We just received a weather warning stating that there is a 40% chance of a rain snow mix after midnight tomorrow night. Panic is already setting in! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Absolutely! I'm in eastern NC and the vague threat of snow will, at the very least, delay schools for a couple of hours. If we actually see 2 flakes, heck we're closed all day!

I do get tickled listening to people who move here from the north say that we southerners just don't know how to drive in the snow. You tell a northerner to be careful when it's snowing and they tell you not to worry because "I'm from the north and I know how to drive in the snow". What they know about, is driving on streets that have been well scraped and salted. We don't have the equipment for that here because it happens so rarely. We are just totally NOT prepared for snow.

Guess what? We just received a weather warning stating that there is a 40% chance of a rain snow mix after midnight tomorrow night. Panic is already setting in! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I tell Yankees we are in the bible belt. We feel the good Lord put the snow there and he will come and get it when he wants it back.

I tell Yankees we are in the bible belt. We feel the good Lord put the snow there and he will come and get it when he wants it back.

Ok! I have to say that this is the first time I have laughed right out loud today!!!:D:D:D

I'm in St Petersburg FL its 42 right now wth..This is unreal last night we broke records it went down to 25. They are saying it could snow this weekend. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yes I know its way colder up north. But we just don't have the clothes for this cold. Our homes Are ment for hot weather. I told my DH thats it were moving to the islands...:)

We're on the NC coast and yesterday it was 22 when I got up. At the high school I had boys wearing shorts & T-shirts! We are 30' below normal. We are cruising out of Miami Sunday and I may wear jeans when we get on the ship!

Where we are school is closed as soon as a posible snow is forecast. They don't wait for a flake to fall and some times none falls but schools stay closed as the closing had been announced.

We have an inch in the forcast and they cancelled school last night. There is not a flake in sight but in Tennessee they will cancel school if it is fixin to snow!:D

We have an inch in the forcast and they cancelled school last night. There is not a flake in sight but in Tennessee they will cancel school if it is fixin to snow!:D

Same here in the Atlanta area! There are a bunch of school systems that announced that they were closing early today (snow isn't predicted to start until about 1pm this afternoon). Delta Airlines is canceling some flights that take off after 5pm today! All because the possibility of snow is predicted! Just a dusting mind you - nothing significant!

I've lived down here for 12 years now and it still cracks me up! I grew up in Wisconsin and can only remember one time when they closed the schools early - I walked home in snow up to my thighs (I was about 10). After graduating college (from a Southern school about 75 miles from Memphis) my DH and I moved to Chicago. Yes I know how to drive in snow, on snow and on ice, but I wouldn't do it down south because many of these southern drivers don't know how to do any of those things! :)

Enjoy the snow everyone! If you get any at all!:D

30 degrees in the Tampa Bay area today, should warm up soon hopefully.

Still far better off than up north. The airport here in Sarasota does not have deicing because it would rarely be used, so they just wait until the sun warms up the wings before they take off, causing some delays.:eek:

Same here in the Atlanta area! There are a bunch of school systems that announced that they were closing early today (snow isn't predicted to start until about 1pm this afternoon). Delta Airlines is canceling some flights that take off after 5pm today! All because the possibility of snow is predicted! Just a dusting mind you - nothing significant!

I've lived down here for 12 years now and it still cracks me up! I grew up in Wisconsin and can only remember one time when they closed the schools early - I walked home in snow up to my thighs (I was about 10). After graduating college (from a Southern school about 75 miles from Memphis) my DH and I moved to Chicago. Yes I know how to drive in snow, on snow and on ice, but I wouldn't do it down south because many of these southern drivers don't know how to do any of those things! :)

Enjoy the snow everyone! If you get any at all!:D

Ok, so tell me the secret of driving on ice.:rolleyes:

We now have a 60% chance of rain/snow for tonight into tomorrow morning with a low of 33. Just heard on the radio that they have already issued a statement for a 2 hour delay for schools tomorrow. That always cracks me up!

We live in Port St Lucie and drove north last night to Sabastian (just north of Vero Beach) on the way home the temps were around 33 degrees and my car's system was telling me that "Icing was Possible" Not nice and definately not fun.

FYI - the only time I have actually seen snow was in the late 70's in Tampa, my kids built a 3 foot snow man before school. (yes, they actaully had to go to school in the snow in Florida):eek:

Archived