Yet another carryon luggage question

jburke1566

I keep reading measurements for luggage and this is a really dumb question. But if you tell me the limit is 24 inches (or whatever) does that mean as I am rolling the carryon, 24 inches across, or 24 inches from the top of the suitcase to the bottom (wheels)?

Top to bottom. Just be careful with carryon luggage. Friend from Denver said that everything, (including purses) must go in overhead storage. The days of putting things under the seat in front of you are gone. Also, you may get things down while in flight, but everything must be returned to overhead, and no more getting out of your seat once you are within an hour of your destination.

Just think of the size allowed on the airplane, its the same size allowed to be carried on. I have one that they usually dont allow me to carry on, in Galveston they made me go check it, in New Orleans they let me carry it on ... so some ports let you carry on a bigger size than other ports. It does fit thru the xray machine, so its not just if it fits.

24 inches long ways, from the bottom (where the wheels are) to the top

Just think of the size allowed on the airplane, its the same size allowed to be carried on. I have one that they usually dont allow me to carry on, in Galveston they made me go check it, in New Orleans they let me carry it on ... so some ports let you carry on a bigger size than other ports. It does fit thru the xray machine, so its not just if it fits.

So is the width or the height the issue? I'm sorry it's been YEARS since I've flown....

So is the width or the height the issue? I'm sorry it's been YEARS since I've flown....

The height has to be less than 24 inches, (even if it can fit thru the xray machine). .. they want it to be the same size as they allow on airlines.

My 21 inch carry on is the only one they have been allowing in Galveston.

I had one that I think is considered a 25 inch?? Not sure, but they made me go check it in Galveston, but not in New Orleans.

The height has to be less than 24 inches, (even if it can fit thru the xray machine). .. they want it to be the same size as they allow on airlines.

My 21 inch carry on is the only one they have been allowing in Galveston.

So I ordered a rolling garment bag....no idea how high it is....I sure hope it is allowed to be carried on at the port.....I plan to put our "nicer" things in it!

Top to bottom. Just be careful with carryon luggage. Friend from Denver said that everything, (including purses) must go in overhead storage. The days of putting things under the seat in front of you are gone. Also, you may get things down while in flight, but everything must be returned to overhead, and no more getting out of your seat once you are within an hour of your destination.

this was supposed to be on international flights only. WHen did it start for flights in the states?

So I ordered a rolling garment bag....no idea how high it is....I sure hope it is allowed to be carried on at the port.....I plan to put our "nicer" things in it!

We just bought a rolling garment bag. It's the size of a normal suitcase. I'd plan on checking it.

this was supposed to be on international flights only. WHen did it start for flights in the states?

It's at the crew's discretion.

You are allowed 1 carry on bag and one personal item when flying.

It's really the total size of the bag they are worried about. American Airlines allows the carry on bag to be no more than 45 inches (add length+width+height) and no more than 40 pounds.

Your personal item can be no more than 36 total inches (length+width+height). Also, this item has to be a purse backpack briefcase or similar item (you cant carry on 2 suitcases and call one your personal item).

Also the bag must fit into the overhead or under the seat in front of you (those long tubes that hold pictures or blueprints may not be allowed because they are too long for some overheads even though they may meet the 45 inch requirement). On the regional flights where the overhead bins are smaller than lager jets they will valet check your carry on bag at the gate and return it to you at the end of that flight (not at your destination so if you are connecting be sure to get your valet bag and take it to the next flight).

I'm sure that is about as clear as mud but there it is. I work for American Airlines as a gate agent and I had to go to aa.com to find the policy :D

i nearly flipped out when i saw the people getting onboard in new orleans with their big luggage. fine with me, but i would be afraid they would make me leave the line and go check it. i am talking the big huge stuff. they only had one bag a piece for one week and marched right on with it.i wonder how it went thru the machine.

I've personally watched a large number of 26" & 28" pieces of luggage make it through the x-ray devices at Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale).

It was a sailing where every passenger was required to board with 100% of their luggage, as there was nothing that could be checked. :( It totally slowed down the boarding process, and frustrated the security team to no end, but it eventually got done.

I always keep my carry-on items well below the requested dimensions, but just reporting that larger pieces have definitely made their way through.

Archived