Decided to go unformal in April

deborahjo

DH and I have decided to leave the tux and long dresses at home this cruise. Will take nice slacks and dress shirts and ties for DH and black slacks and dressy tops for me. Anyone else doing the same.[/quot

Been doing that for a few ywars now. saves packing extra stuff & nway more comfy.

DH and I have decided to leave the tux and long dresses at home this cruise. Will take nice slacks and dress shirts and ties for DH and black slacks and dressy tops for me. Anyone else doing the same.

Unless it is Xmas or New Year's why should there be 'formal' nights at all-can't they just rename them elegant nights with some exclusions .:D

It is very sad that everyone wants to dress down. It appears everyone is intimidated by the words "Formal" or "Elegant". Personally, I hate seeing shorts, flipflops, baseball caps, tank tops and men's hairy armpits and thier hairy legs at dinner. I have seen people not even change to go into the dining room at night. They are in the same sweaty, dirty clothes that they wore all day. Lots of people never get to go on a cruise and when you do have the opportunity don't you want to feel like it is a special event? I like to enjoy my dinner in the dining room with nice clothes on. I do not spend tons of money on clothes, you can get good bargains out there and still look nice at night. Packing an extra pair of dress pants takes up no more room than it does to pack and extra pair of shorts in your suitcase. And for women, packing a cocktail dress is no big deal. LEt's get over this "I have no more room in my suitcase" as an excuse to not get dressed and your issue about being uncomfortable with "dress" clothes on.

You can wear your shorts and t-shirts and flipflops all day long but get changed for dinner! If you don't get changed for dinner it is the same as if you were home, where, unfortunately it is the same situation where nobody get dressed for dinner. At least on a cruise you are in a nice atmosphere and you can look extra special and you have the opportunity to dress up a bit. Sad that it is changing and now those of us who get dressed up are looked at as the wierd ones!

I totally agree-hairy legs and arm pits-TERRIBLE!

But what if it's a woman wearing a tank top and mini skirt-IS IT OK THEN?:)

... Lots of people never get to go on a cruise and when you do have the opportunity don't you want to feel like it is a special event? I like to enjoy my dinner in the dining room with nice clothes on. ... LEt's get over this "I have no more room in my suitcase" as an excuse to not get dressed and your issue about being uncomfortable with "dress" clothes on.

You can wear your shorts and t-shirts and flipflops all day long but get changed for dinner! If you don't get changed for dinner it is the same as if you were home, where, unfortunately it is the same situation where nobody get dressed for dinner. At least on a cruise you are in a nice atmosphere and you can look extra special and you have the opportunity to dress up a bit. Sad that it is changing and now those of us who get dressed up are looked at as the wierd ones!

It's not about being "weird", and please realise that you are putting YOUR personal likes, dislikes and mores onto everyone else. Culture is changing - culture is ALWAYS changing (or do you still dress like they did in the 20's, or in the 1850's, or in the medieval time period?). Today's world is a more relaxed, casual place, and many (MOST) people are more comfortable in a more relaxed atmosphere.

I HATE suits and tuxes. I don't even own a suit any longer after having lost a lot of weight. I won't buy another one until I have another wedding or funeral to perform and am forced to. That doesn't mean I don't have class or don't know how to act. And it doesn't mean I come with "hairy pits and hole-y t-shirts to the dining room either.

Some people have a hard time not living in the past or understanding/accepting that cultures constantly change, and that we live in another time than we used to. If you want very formal cruises, with lots of tuxes, then there are more expensive, exclusive lines out there (with an average age of 50+ usually because younger people are a part of TODAY'S culture which is generally less formal). If you want to cruise with Carnival, or Royal or NCL, please understand that you are going to be with people who are not as comfortable in tuxes and suits any more.

It's not about being "weird", and please realise that you are putting YOUR personal likes, dislikes and mores onto everyone else. Culture is changing - culture is ALWAYS changing (or do you still dress like they did in the 20's, or in the 1850's, or in the medieval time period?). Today's world is a more relaxed, casual place, and many (MOST) people are more comfortable in a more relaxed atmosphere.

I HATE suits and tuxes. I don't even own a suit any longer after having lost a lot of weight. I won't buy another one until I have another wedding or funeral to perform and am forced to. That doesn't mean I don't have class or don't know how to act. And it doesn't mean I come with "hairy pits and hole-y t-shirts to the dining room either.

Some people have a hard time not living in the past or understanding/accepting that cultures constantly change, and that we live in another time than we used to. If you want very formal cruises, with lots of tuxes, then there are more expensive, exclusive lines out there (with an average age of 50+ usually because younger people are a part of TODAY'S culture which is generally less formal). If you want to cruise with Carnival, or Royal or NCL, please understand that you are going to be with people who are not as comfortable in tuxes and suits any more.

Very well said!

Very nicely said :)

My cruises are very special occasions to me and my DW. We are on vacation away from the daily grind. We are either enjoying eachothers company or with the gang we sometimes cruise with.

We are waited on hand and foot by wonderful staff , enjoying a beautiful ship, great food and gorgeous weather (especially when it is freezeing back home:))

We just don't need the formal clothes to enjoy all that. More power to the folks who do and they should enjoy them.

I love these people that think if you don't want to wear a tux or suit or gown you just want to wear dirty ripped shorts, flip flops , a wife beater, and a baseball cap.

I would never wear anything like that to the dining room or any restaurant.

and please realise that you are putting YOUR personal likes, dislikes and mores onto everyone else. Culture is changing - culture is ALWAYS changing (or do you still dress like they did in the 20's, or in the 1850's, or in the medieval time period?). Today's world is a more relaxed, casual place, and many (MOST) people are more comfortable in a more relaxed atmosphere.

Some people have a hard time not living in the past or understanding/accepting that cultures constantly change, and that we live in another time than we used to.

If you go back in history, this was said 20 years ago, 40 years ago, even 400 years ago (similar to statements about "today's kids").

Always funny when someone tries to pass it off as new.

But most interesting is that it is YOU doing the same as your opening sentence.

That's perfectly acceptable for a Carnival cruise. We're doing the same thing next month.

Although I will say, I adore the way my GF looks when she's dressed up. I'd happily schlep my tux to see her in an evening gown.

AHHHH how sweet! Now you need to post a picture. :D

That's really sweet. :)

Bringing some casual dresses, a pair of black dress pants, and some nice tops. no desire to go crazy with dressing up. :rolleyes:

Also.. I know there is some sort of footwear policy out there for the MDR. I'm not dragging a bunch of dress shoes along with me. Does anyone think they will object to some dressy sandals? (I'm not talking flip flops)

That should not be a problem. I am taking my 7th cruise next month and I am determined to get my packing down to 1 suitcase (plus the backpack I bring on board the plane). :D

We were on Dream two weeks ago and saw very few tuxedos or suits. My husband wore a sports jacket, dress shirt and dress pants one elegant night, the other a dress shirt and dress pants, but no tie or jacket. I just wore dress pants and dressy tops.

My husband hates wearing a suit and tie and one of the ways of getting him on a cruise is to not have him wear these. He has in the past worn them to please me, but now I feel he can be more comfortable.

DH and I have decided to leave the tux and long dresses at home this cruise. Will take nice slacks and dress shirts and ties for DH and black slacks and dressy tops for me. Anyone else doing the same.

Sounds like your outfits will be just fine. I wear a tux, by choice, just because it is "fun" after wearing scrubs almost everyday otherwise. Just enjoy yourself, I do!

Each person has their own opinions and I appericatate? them very much. Vacation is now becoming vacation to us. We ejoy our time with each other and friends and if that does not include dressing up we are happy.

Has nothing to do with being "classy" or "classless". That is one persons opinion and may he please keep it to himself.

It is very sad that everyone wants to dress down. It appears everyone is intimidated by the words "Formal" or "Elegant". Personally, I hate seeing shorts, flipflops, baseball caps, tank tops and men's hairy armpits and thier hairy legs at dinner. I have seen people not even change to go into the dining room at night. They are in the same sweaty, dirty clothes that they wore all day. Lots of people never get to go on a cruise and when you do have the opportunity don't you want to feel like it is a special event? I like to enjoy my dinner in the dining room with nice clothes on. I do not spend tons of money on clothes, you can get good bargains out there and still look nice at night. Packing an extra pair of dress pants takes up no more room than it does to pack and extra pair of shorts in your suitcase. And for women, packing a cocktail dress is no big deal. LEt's get over this "I have no more room in my suitcase" as an excuse to not get dressed and your issue about being uncomfortable with "dress" clothes on.

Personally, I hate seeing women with hairy legs,lips,and armpits but that is their choice or mayby their culture

I also hate seeing women who are not a size 6 or smaller trying to fit into outfits designed for a 6 or under.:rolleyes: Or those who need to get their hair put up and think it looks great.

LLD, I see you are from FL.If you are from the southern coastal areas you should know that dressing up here means putting on sandals instead of flip flops.

Steve

But most interesting is that it is YOU doing the same as your opening sentence.

You're wrong Mr. Pete, I am in no way doing the same thing. I don't put my opinions or morals onto other people. I don't go worrying about what everyone else is wearing, I don't judge anyone based on what they wear. I wear what is comfortable to me, as well as clean and modest. Frankly I am always within the guidelines for any Carnival/RCI cruise. The "everyone should wear a tux/suit" crowd on the other hand look down their noses at anyone not dressed up, talk about us poorly, and have a very haughty/nasty/unrealistic attitude as they continue to live 30 years in the past.

And notice I did not say that about everyone who wears a tux or suit - I don't care what you wear - I said it about those complaining annoying people (some in this thread) who think everyone should dress up, or that it's actually fun for anyone to dress up.

I travel around the world, I love expeirencing and studying different cultures. I have no problem accepting any cultural norms without elevating my own above other people's and then looking down on anyone else who thinks differently from myself. THAT is what we get upset about - not that you want to dress up, but that you don't accept that the world today is a different, more casual culture, and that just because some of us do not does not make us scum, or classless, or idiots. We are just different. There's nothing wrong with different.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one, and this is just my own thoughts and feelings and everyone is welcome to dress any way they like, but I don't see why its such a "hassle" to dress formal on formal night.

I guess if someone goes on a lot of cruises the formal nights might not be a big deal, but we only go on one cruise every 5 years or so, so I like to make the 2 out of 7 nights as special as possible. And when there is a lot of other people dressed in comfortable casual clothes on formal night it does affect the feeling/mood of my formal night. Not a lot, but it does affect it.

I know it will never happen, but I do wish everyone did respect the attire on the formal nights.

I know times have changed but it seems that a lot of people have lost there respect for those special events in life. At one time people used to dress in suits/ties and nice dressed for church on Sundays, every Sunday. Now I see people wearing sweat pants in church. And maybe this is the way the cruise indistry is going. 10 years from now maybe "Formal night" will official be changed to "sweat pants" night. Just joking. :D:D

Please don't jump all over me. These are just my weird thoughts on this subject.

Great post...I agree with you.

For me, dressing up is all part of the fun.

Great post...I agree with you.

For me, dressing up is all part of the fun.

You don't have fun at home? There are so many charity black tie events held everywhere all across the USA that would afford you the opportunity to have fun and help out a needy cause.

But just for clarification here, you think everyone should dress up for a venue which has photo ops for the venue's own profit,poorly singing waiters,conga lines,table dancing waiters,whooping and holloring of color wars,announcements over the PA while serving pre-prepared cafeteria style food on a ship in the middle of the very warm caribbean? We won't even get into the grapes on the ceiling.

Steve

You don't have fun at home? There are so many charity black tie events held everywhere all across the USA that would afford you the opportunity to have fun and help out a needy cause.

Actually, I would imagine many people would have passed on cruising had they been black tie or true formal affairs. I know I would have. To us, it was confusing reading it was called Formal, and finding it wasn't black tie.

I assume they were at one time, when only the rich sailed.

When we found their formal was actually Elegant, we were quite happy. Took another 20 years for the actual name change.

We eventually tried the Tux thing a couple of times, just to mix things up, as it was a group of us.

Would cocktail dress on formal night and a :confused:sundress on regular nights be overdoing it?

No it would be fine if there was a Formal night anymore.They have been eliminated. Have you not taken the time to read the CCL website or any of the 100's of threads here on CC?

Steve

Actually, I would imagine many people would have passed on cruising had they been black tie or true formal affairs. I know I would have. To us, it was confusing reading it was called Formal, and finding it wasn't black tie.

I assume they were at one time, when only the rich sailed.

When we found their formal was actually Elegant, we were quite happy. Took another 20 years for the actual name change.

We eventually tried the Tux thing a couple of times, just to mix things up, as it was a group of us.

Most of the Charity events here are called Black tie,but as you put it,are really Elegant.There is about a 30/70 % with the higher number representing the suit and tie.

Steve

No it would be fine if there was a Formal night anymore.They have been eliminated. Have you not taken the time to read the CCL website or any of the 100's of threads here on CC?

Steve

If they havnt read about it what does it matter to you why so negative

I still call it formal night as my GF does and we know it has been changed so ??????????

You dont have to be rude 100% of the time for people not to like you:cool:

Archived