Regent vs. Oceania vs. Crystal

Naper

Help! We are deciding between Italian cruises on Crystal early October, a mid October on Oceania and a late October on Regent. My husband loves Regent but I'm worried about the weather. We loved Regent and would have to upgrade to the Penthouse on Oceania and settle for a smaller room on Crystal as we can't afford to upgrade there. We're wondering if we would be happy with the service on Oceania and the smaller room on Crystal.

I cannot do much to compare, but we sailed on Oceania and loved it. While I know they offer free wine and liquor on the luxury lines, the difference was too great to offset the amount we would drink. I do know that the rooms on Regent are larger than the standard rooms on Oceania. That being said, we were told by people who had been on Regent and Oceania (same owners) that the food on Oceania was better. For our two cents, the food in Polo and Toscana on Oceania would be hard to beat.

The service on Oceania was fantastic. Everyone went out of their way to please, and we did not have a single complaint. We were in a B1, so no concierge, but we thought the service was still excellent. If anything, they change the towels so fast there is never an empty spot for the hand towel you are using!

Neither of us is the type to want butler service. The PH cabins are larger so that is a consideration.

We did wonder what else they could have done to make a full luxury line worth the extra expense.

We have done Oceania, and altho it is not a luxury line like Crystal, it is VERY nice with excellent service and food. The ships are beautifully decorated...old time country club with dark woods. You might want to head to the Crystal board and ask someone to compare Crystal to Oceania.

I think you are comparing apples & oranges

We have done several Oceania cruises but no luxury cruises

JMO

Crystal & Regent are luxury lines & cost is more than Oceania but they provide different amenities.

Depends on what you are looking for in amenities ..if you like formal nights, free drinks, vegas style entertainment Oceania is not for you.

We found the service on Oceania to be very good but it is all subjective ..you may or may not need more attention than they give

You may want to talk with a TA that can give you information on the line that best suit your needs, wants & lifestyle

Everyone has their favourite line & you will get varied opinions

Lyn

Crystal is very, very dress up formal on formal nights and very nice clothing needed for other nights. No doubt about it! If you want to travel with all those clothes and can pay the price for the trip, Crystal can be a very good trip.

My husband refuses to travel with formal ware ever again and he swears he won't travel on Crystal again. He's retired and takes that seriously.

I've never been on the other lines, but I've done Oceania Baltic and Oceania Mediterranean. I loved both. (I'm a cheap cruiser / Rick Steves' cheap hotel kind of gal... just thought I'd throw that in.) I like the size of Oceania and it's a good compromise between high end and Princess/HAL/big ships.

My former mother in law traveled quite a bit (eventually she became a travel agent and put trips together) and she liked Oceania because it was a "good value" for the money. I haven't been on Oceania for a few years, but the people were friendly, the crew was good, and we all had a good time.

Oh, I just remembered. I've also been on Oceania for South America. Don't do that. The ship is too small for rough seas and crazy swells. In the Med it was a perfect ship. It was fairly good in the Baltic - and it rained every day. I think all their ships may be mid-sized and you feel every swell... but then again, I get seasick.

I know Crystal is supposed to be fab.

I don't go for shows and things. There were no formal nights. It was casual and elegant, but not swank. Is that a word? It was not stuffy. There were a lot of Aussies on the Med trip. All in all I liked it... but I'd rather take 10 trips where I have to lug my own suitcase while some people would like to take one trip for the same price and have people kissing their booties. I thought the people on Oceania were great fun to hang out with.

Actually I don't mind having people kissing my booty, but now that I'm remarried I can't depend upon the kindness of strangers... and it's a matter of priorities. I thought the service was good. If you want someone to sweep your crumbs off the table (and you probably are more mannered than I am) every time you blink, Oceania is not quite that caliber. I would recommend that line to anyone, though.

Crystal is “fab” and a lot more is included than on Oceania. With the $1,000/cabin ship board credit they are offering they are as all inclusive as Regent and you have the flexibility of using on spa services, alcoholic beverages or shore excursions. They’ve also adjusted their dress code so it isn’t any more formal than on Regent.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

Pending Cruises:

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

I agree with Penny. Crystal is the most formal line out there, and while they may have lowered the number of informal nights, Crystal is still very, very dressy. I was just on Symphony and at least 90% of the men were in tuxes. I've not found that many on Regent.

I've been on the three lines the OP asks about and to be honest, Oceania is a premium line, not in the same category as Regent and Crystal. Oceania is country club casual, with no formal nights. Regent seems to have lowered the number of formal nights, but they still have them. Regent has become nearly all inclusive, but with Crystal's very generous per person on board credits, it makes Crystal all inclusive also. My choice for best food and service is Crystal, by a fairly wide margin.

Thanks for all your feedback! The Crystal cruise is actually the least expensive with all the incentives but the smallest room. Did anyone stay in B2 class on Crystal? We're not formal people by any means so I'm concerned about too much formality.

I have never thought about the Crystal rooms being small having traveled in much smaller ones. They are very well appointed with plenty of storage. The bathrooms are very nice but my husband is now having problems getting in and out of the bathtubs. A walk in shower would be much easier for him.

I agree with Penny. Crystal is the most formal line out there, and while they may have lowered the number of informal nights, Crystal is still very, very dressy. I was just on Symphony and at least 90% of the men were in tuxes. I've not found that many on Regent.

I've been on the three lines the OP asks about and to be honest, Oceania is a premium line, not in the same category as Regent and Crystal. Oceania is country club casual, with no formal nights. Regent seems to have lowered the number of formal nights, but they still have them. Regent has become nearly all inclusive, but with Crystal's very generous per person on board credits, it makes Crystal all inclusive also. My choice for best food and service is Crystal, by a fairly wide margin.

From the Regent website:

Dress Code: Elegant Casual wear includes skirt, or slacks (no jeans) with blouse or sweater, pant suit or dress for ladies; slacks (no jeans) and collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. While Elegant Casual is always appropriate, during Formal Optional evenings featured on longer cruises, guests may opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suit with tie for gentlemen.

On our 7 night cruise to Alaska there are no formal nights listed, only Elegant Casual. Formal nights are all "optional" now on Regent. Elegant Casual does not even require a jacket or tie for men, just a collared shirt. Made my hubby very happy ;)

Thanks for all your feedback! The Crystal cruise is actually the least expensive with all the incentives but the smallest room. Did anyone stay in B2 class on Crystal? We're not formal people by any means so I'm concerned about too much formality.

Naper, there is no such cabin category on Crystal as a B2. There are B cabins, and those are on deck 8, and have a balcony. I've been in those cabins a few times and they are very nice. But I must say, if you're not formal people, then Crystal may not be the best idea for you and your family. Crystal passengers really do dress up on their formal and informal nights, and unlike other cruise lines, passengers do not go back to their cabin and change clothes into casual---if you're going to be in a public venue after 6pm you're expected to be in the dress code of the evening for the entire evening. And, unlike most lines, Crystal does have three codes, formal---informal/semiformal---casual. And like I said earlier, nearly every man wears a tux or white dinner jacket on formal nights and jacket and tie (although tie is not required most men still opt for the tie) on informal/semiformal nights. Casual is nice slacks and collared shirt.

BTW, fellow Wisconsinite, I'm from Waukesha..............

Thanks so much for the replys. We ended up booking up on Regent again. Although it's later in October than is ideal, we loved Regent and think it's a better deal than Oceania.

As others have stated, Oceania is a premium cruise line rather than a luxury line (it is a sister to Regent -- owned by the same company) and is difficult to compare to the others.

Trying to compare Crystal to Regent is also a bit of a challenge. Crystal ships are larger and are able to provide much better entertainment. I understand that the food and service are excellent. They do have fairly small cabins. Even though they give nice on board credits, you still have to sign for everything and there is set seating in the main restaurant. Tips are also not included on Crystal.

Regent has considerably larger suites. Two of their ships are all balcony. Currently it is the most all-inclusive of any cruise line. In addition to including tips and all beverages, they also include airfare and most excursions (others available at a minimal cost). There is open seating in all of their dining venues.

To be fair, I am partial to Regent. . . . but, I did the research and am happy with our choice:)

Archived