Best hotel near Piazzale Roma Venice Italy

patiolaterns

Can anyone recommend a good hotel(s) close to the Piazzale Roma in Venice Italy. We want to arrive a couple of days ahead of our cruise departure and need some suggestions. Seems like most hotels in this area can be very pricey - but looking for economical and clean.............

We enjoyed staying at the Ca Doge Hotel, which is located right in the Piazzale Roma. The staff was very friendly (they all speak English) and the small hotel was charming. The only negative for some folks would be the lack of an elevator.

Hank

We just stayed at Palazzo Odoni which was very close to P. Roma. Small and charming.

http://www.palazzoodoni.com/

Hi, I am considering this hotel (inn?) for an overnight in Venice in October. Can you tell me a little more about your stay there? (I've looked at the website....love the way the rooms look, and the property, but some reviews suggested it did not live up to the lovely photos.)

We enjoyed staying at the Ca Doge Hotel, which is located right in the Piazzale Roma. The staff was very friendly (they all speak English) and the small hotel was charming. The only negative for some folks would be the lack of an elevator.

Hank

Nice to hear about Ca Doge. We just booked a Jr Suite for our Aug 19 cruise,

We have stayed at the Hotel Della Mora twice. It was 95 euros. It is a short walk, two small bridges, from PL Roma. It's a very clean basic hotel with no TV and an OK breakfast. We had a room with a canal view and it is on the main route to San Marco Square. It has a lot of reviews on Trip Advisor.

Nice to hear about Ca Doge. We just booked a Jr Suite for our Aug 19 cruise,

I think you will love it. The outside looks like it could use a coat of paint, but most of Venice looks that way. It really is a very charming hotel.

And there are parrots in the lobby that are very friendly too, as well as

the folks that run the place.

And it is so central to everything. We walked to the Coop stores, the vaporetto stop, and caught the bus to the airport right outside the hotel. There is also a visitor kiosk right outside the hotel. If the weather would have been better, it would have been perfect. Unfortunately the good weather we had on most of our cruise ended the night we arrived in Venice to rain. And it rained the next two days and when we left Venice, we took the rain with us to Paris, so had a day there in the rain before heading home.

Hope you have better luck for your August visit. Have a great trip!

Hi, I am considering this hotel (inn?) for an overnight in Venice in October. Can you tell me a little more about your stay there? (I've looked at the website....love the way the rooms look, and the property, but some reviews suggested it did not live up to the lovely photos.)

Cruisemom, sorry I've been out of touch for a few days.

We stayed at Palazzo Odoni just one night and I'll give you the pros and cons:

PROS -

• It's an easy walk from the bus. We only had to drag our rolling suitcases over two bridges, so not bad at all - maybe 5 minutes tops from the bus.
  • Breakfast was fresh and abundant. There were juices, croissants, cake, hard-boiled eggs, salumi, cheeses, yogurt, fruit, etc., and of course your choice of coffees.
  • Great location if you want to stay away from the masses. It's very close to Frari Church, San Barnaba, Piazza Santa Margherita, etc., and close to shopping without the astronomical prices of San Marco. It was such a wonderful stroll from the hotel down through the San Polo district and across the Rialto to San Marco.
  • Beautiful walnut furniture and damask fabrics in the room. We stayed in the larger room which had a small sitting room between the bedroom and the bath.
  • Room and bath were spotlessly clean. Nice marble bath with towel warmer.
  • Staff were very accomodating with early check-in and with leaving luggage for a late check-out. They also made restaurant reservations for us.

CONS

• There are two full flights of stairs to the reception area. The porter/maitre d' carried the largest suitcase up but my husband and I huffed and puffed with the others. We could have asked the porter but we just wanted to get settled after the long travel day.
  • Beds are like everywhere else in Italy - on the hard side. Nevertheless, we slept like babies.
  • The breakfast room is small so the tables are nearer each other than some may prefer. This was not a problem for us, but it may be for others.
  • The "sitting room" I refer to above is a bit of an overstatement and may explain why some people find fault with the photos. It's really just a sofa in a hall. I would never have actually sat there in front of the bathroom door. We just used the sofa for coats and things.

I would certainly stay here again.

Cruisemom, sorry I've been out of touch for a few days.

We stayed at Palazzo Odoni just one night and I'll give you the pros and cons:

PROS -

• It's an easy walk from the bus. We only had to drag our rolling suitcases over two bridges, so not bad at all - maybe 5 minutes tops from the bus.
  • Breakfast was fresh and abundant. There were juices, croissants, cake, hard-boiled eggs, salumi, cheeses, yogurt, fruit, etc., and of course your choice of coffees.
  • Great location if you want to stay away from the masses. It's very close to Frari Church, San Barnaba, Piazza Santa Margherita, etc., and close to shopping without the astronomical prices of San Marco. It was such a wonderful stroll from the hotel down through the San Polo district and across the Rialto to San Marco.
  • Beautiful walnut furniture and damask fabrics in the room. We stayed in the larger room which had a small sitting room between the bedroom and the bath.
  • Room and bath were spotlessly clean. Nice marble bath with towel warmer.
  • Staff were very accomodating with early check-in and with leaving luggage for a late check-out. They also made restaurant reservations for us.

CONS

• There are two full flights of stairs to the reception area. The porter/maitre d' carried the largest suitcase up but my husband and I huffed and puffed with the others. We could have asked the porter but we just wanted to get settled after the long travel day.
  • Beds are like everywhere else in Italy - on the hard side. Nevertheless, we slept like babies.
  • The breakfast room is small so the tables are nearer each other than some may prefer. This was not a problem for us, but it may be for others.
  • The "sitting room" I refer to above is a bit of an overstatement and may explain why some people find fault with the photos. It's really just a sofa in a hall. I would never have actually sat there in front of the bathroom door. We just used the sofa for coats and things.

I would certainly stay here again.

Thanks a lot for those details. We're spending the euros for location at Locanda Orseolo in June, but when I go back on my own in October, this sounds like it would fit the bill for me.

Are there any rooms with canal views? Did your room have a terrazzo floor? (I'm hoping for typical Venetian touches like that.....not so fond of overly "tarted up" hotels.)

Thanks a lot for those details. We're spending the euros for location at Locanda Orseolo in June, but when I go back on my own in October, this sounds like it would fit the bill for me.

Are there any rooms with canal views? Did your room have a terrazzo floor? (I'm hoping for typical Venetian touches like that.....not so fond of overly "tarted up" hotels.)

Cynthia, I had to chuckle at "tarted up hotels"! :D I know exactly what you mean, and no, the Palazzo Odoni is not like that. I don't remember exactly what the floors were....could have been wood or terrazzo, but definitely not carpeted. I'm thinking they were wood but wouldn't swear to it. The bathroom floor was marble.

Our room did not have a canal view and I can't comment on the other rooms. You might want to ask directly if that's important. The hotel sits on a very lovely canal, so some rooms must have a view.

This is just the kind of place I like to stay in when I travel alone. Judging from your posts, it seems like you are a like-minded traveler. I think you might like it.

Another vote for Ca Doge (or Cà Doge).

http://www.cadoge.it/eng/benvenuti.htm

Some pictures can be found about half way down on this page:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/free07/venice/sunday/first/first.htm

Thank you for including the link to your pictures. My husband and I enjoyed them very much.

What kind of room did you have? We're booked for Aug 19.

Thankls again

Barbara

Nice photos Sargent Schultz, we had that same room, only with the beds separated as twin beds. The little balcony was nice, as they told me I

could step out there and smoke, but I couldn't smoke in the room itself. I liked the sounds of the Suite, but it didn't have the balcony, so settled for just the twin, but there was plenty of room for the two of us.

My photos didn't turn out nearly as nice as yours did, as it was raining and overcast almost the whole time we were there. I did take some inside shots though that look almost like yours.

Note the room key in the light switch in some of the photos. Don't forget to take the key with you when you exit the room. You need the key to be able to turn the lights on when you enter the room too.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. They carried our luggage up to the room (as there was no elevator) and when we were ready to leave, I called down and they came up and took the luggage down for us too.

It was a really convenient location. There is an information kiosk right outside the hotel. The vaporetto stop is there, the taxi's, the buses, and a large CO-OP store. There is the new bridge over to the train station.

But no bridges or steps to have to cross to get to the hotel. It is flat paved parking and walking.

Nice photos Sargent Schultz, we had that same room, only with the beds separated as twin beds. The little balcony was nice, as they told me I

could step out there and smoke, but I couldn't smoke in the room itself. I liked the sounds of the Suite, but it didn't have the balcony, so settled for just the twin, but there was plenty of room for the two of us.

My photos didn't turn out nearly as nice as yours did, as it was raining and overcast almost the whole time we were there. I did take some inside shots though that look almost like yours.

Note the room key in the light switch in some of the photos. Don't forget to take the key with you when you exit the room. You need the key to be able to turn the lights on when you enter the room too.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. They carried our luggage up to the room (as there was no elevator) and when we were ready to leave, I called down and they came up and took the luggage down for us too.

It was a really convenient location. There is an information kiosk right outside the hotel. The vaporetto stop is there, the taxi's, the buses, and a large CO-OP store. There is the new bridge over to the train station.

But no bridges or steps to have to cross to get to the hotel. It is flat paved parking and walking.

Yep. One grabbed my garment bag and ran up the stairs. I was somewhat slower with the suitcase. And the coop store is great for water, soda, wine, and all kinds of food.

A couple more pictures.

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

Archived