Tattoo's.Do you cover them or not?

TnMama

I have 2 sons and when each of them turned 17 I took them to the tattoo parlour and we both got a tattoo. I got a cat face above my left breast with the oldest one and an asian "family love" one on my right ankle when the youngest got his.

Then hubby went out and got something on his inside forearm that's supposed to represent "the house of Kim" for me then went back later and got a smaller version added of each of the boys' tatts to either side of his original one. Sounds weird but it wound up being really nice and it was our way of bonding to the kids.

Now that one on my chest sometimes pokes out in a low cut formal dress (and always on my bathing suit) and if I ever make a fussy comment about needing to cover it up, hubby always tells me how much he love them and how I should proudly show them off.

My oldest son now has 4 tats but he can cover them if he chooses. Sometimes he does and sometimes no. My fav one of his is on the back of his calf. It was done in honour of his grandmother (my mom) when she was dying. They were always very close. He got a green elephant (trunk up of course) - She collected elephants and her fav colour was green. BUT there are flames coming out of its nose and on it's butt because he's a firefighter so he wanted something to represent him and her. Again, sounds weird, but it's a tribute that she totally loved when he got it and everytime I see it on his leg, it reminds me of her too.

AWE Kaws! thats too sweet about your Mom and son getting his tattoo. My bumble bee is in honor of my Pap {grandfather}. He could catch the white faced bee's in his bare hands,so theres a teeny white dot on my bee's face.

AND...youre a cool Mama, my Mom refused to sign the papers so I could get one at 17! :)

AWE Kaws! thats too sweet about your Mom and son getting his tattoo. My bumble bee is in honor of my Pap {grandfather}. He could catch the white faced bee's in his bare hands,so theres a teeny white dot on my bee's face.

AND...youre a cool Mama, my Mom refused to sign the papers so I could get one at 17! :)

I always think that tattoos should have some meaning behind them if you're going to put them on your body for life. A piercing you could remove but tatts are forever. I've always told my kids they can pierce whatever they like (from the shoulders down!! :p) and only once did one of my boys pierce his nipple. OMG that was priceless and he'd never do that again, nor does he even still have it in.

As for being cool........well I just thought there's not a big difference from 17 to 18 when they would be able to do it on their own. I'd rather "introduce" them to this properly, i.e., a proper tatoo parlour with a good reputation, approval on the tattoo ahead of time, size, location, etc. and have them happy with it and me, rather than have them resentful and then a short year later break all the "rules" and put something gross or disgusting in plain view and live to regret that one 10 years from now.

I am 58. Got a tattoo of a hummingbird on my right outer wrist at 57. I have gotten so many compliments on it. Then 3 weeks ago, on my 58th birthday, I got a bracelet with a rose on my right wrist under the hummingbird. This is something I did because I am old enough to do what I want and don't care what others think. My husband, who is ink-free, encouraged me to put them where they would show. If I decide that they "clash" with a formal outfit, I will simply buy a large cuff bracelet to cover them for an evening. It may be a statement I am making..not sure. Just knew I wanted them so I got them. I like some tats and I hate others but I recognize it is a matter of personal taste. On our last cruise, a woman did come up to tell me she liked mine but hates tattoos in general. I didn't tell her to MYOB but did feel like it.

Well, I'll be the voice of dissent here and say that I HATE my tattoos now that I'm older. I don't regret much, but if I could go back in time and skip getting them, I would. They no longer fit my personality, the way I dress, the way I feel about myself, anything. I've tried to get the largest one (on my upper arm) removed, to no avail. I wear long or elbow-length sleeves to cover it, and I'm so sad not to be comfortable in sleeveless clothes.

I guess it's a learning experience and a good lesson for the younger people that I teach, but I'd rather not be the one to teach it! I can't wait until I can afford laser removal so I can get rid of my tattoos.

Well, I'll be the voice of dissent here and say that I HATE my tattoos now that I'm older. I don't regret much, but if I could go back in time and skip getting them, I would. They no longer fit my personality, the way I dress, the way I feel about myself, anything. I've tried to get the largest one (on my upper arm) removed, to no avail. I wear long or elbow-length sleeves to cover it, and I'm so sad not to be comfortable in sleeveless clothes.

I guess it's a learning experience and a good lesson for the younger people that I teach, but I'd rather not be the one to teach it! I can't wait until I can afford laser removal so I can get rid of my tattoos.

Im sorry you dont like yours anymore. I think we all change as we get older,true. But for me, mine have stamped a certian time in my life. I may wind up feeling the same way you do,but I dont think so. They are part of who I am now and Ill add more as I continue to grow. But I do hope you can get yours removed,if thats what you feel like you need to do.:)

I am 58. Got a tattoo of a hummingbird on my right outer wrist at 57. I have gotten so many compliments on it. Then 3 weeks ago, on my 58th birthday, I got a bracelet with a rose on my right wrist under the hummingbird. This is something I did because I am old enough to do what I want and don't care what others think. My husband, who is ink-free, encouraged me to put them where they would show. If I decide that they "clash" with a formal outfit, I will simply buy a large cuff bracelet to cover them for an evening. It may be a statement I am making..not sure. Just knew I wanted them so I got them. I like some tats and I hate others but I recognize it is a matter of personal taste. On our last cruise, a woman did come up to tell me she liked mine but hates tattoos in general. I didn't tell her to MYOB but did feel like it.

LMAO!!! I can cover mine up when I want to, but I wear sandals most of the time. Part of the reason I got em on my foot,so I could show them! I love humming birds.

Not to sound fatalistic, but when my Memaw passes on, I plan to get one for her.{a HB,theyre her fav} She'd hate it if I got one now,since she does not like them at all. But ive already told her my plans,and she says long as she does not have to see it,she wont care,lol. I know, macabre,but thats ok too. Im thinking of getting one in memory of my Aunt who passed away at 39 back in November. She and I were always super close and I feel her void. Just have NO clue what to get. She had a few herself,so maybe Ill get one like she had,just for her.

You got them because you like them, and if someone else doesn't like tattoos, then they shouldn't get any! As far as I am concerned, you should do whatever makes you feel pretty! If anyone is offended, that is their problem.

Not only have i invested alot of money and time into my tattoos but they represent a time in my life when I overcame alot of pain and suffering due to an ongoing illness. If someone asks me to cover them up with anything other than sunscreen they may not like what I have to say!:D The times are changing and depending more than likely on what cruise line you are on it should be more than fine!

Tat question: how long for "heal time"? Don't think I'd want to get one the day before a trip to the Caribbean but how much time do you need to get back to normal skin condition after tat time?

Some of healing depends on where you get it. Some on how you heal from things,and how you take care of it too. For me,it takes me a good 2 weeks for it to heal up.Scab up and peel. I use A and D ointment on mine and Tat Wax. It may also be more sensetive to sun too. Personally, I wouldnt get it any less than a month to 3 weeks before. and be sure to slather on the sunscreen. But everyone is different. If you already have them,then you know how your body will heal or even react to the ink.:){Im unsure if you have any}

I had surgery 2 weeks to the day after the one on my back,it was still itching and peeling,so that was not fun!

~Sarah

I also have a tattoo and wouldn't dream of covering it up! it is a butterfly on my right ankle. It has significant meaning to me and is in memory of my mother who passed away 6 years ago at age 58. I had planned on the tattoo before her death & we often talked about how nice it would look. After she died, I put my tattoo plans on hold; however, it wasn't long after when suddenly butterflies just seemed to pop into my life in many different forms (cards, gifts, sightings - it was almost like I was getting a sign) so I got my tattoo just after my 40th and I love it. It reminds me of my mom and makes me feel like she's still with me - I wear it proudly.

I also have a tattoo and wouldn't dream of covering it up! it is a butterfly on my right ankle. It has significant meaning to me and is in memory of my mother who passed away 6 years ago at age 58. I had planned on the tattoo before her death & we often talked about how nice it would look. After she died, I put my tattoo plans on hold; however, it wasn't long after when suddenly butterflies just seemed to pop into my life in many different forms (cards, gifts, sightings - it was almost like I was getting a sign) so I got my tattoo just after my 40th and I love it. It reminds me of my mom and makes me feel like she's still with me - I wear it proudly.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing that and posting it. I wake up sometimes before day light ,and cant go back to sleep. this morning my brain woke up with a lot on my mind. One of the things was, what can I do in memory of my Aunt who died in November. She was only 39. I thought about a butterfly for her. She struggled her whole life with addictions and mental illness, and now shes free from this earthly life. ANd I thought, what is more free than a butterfly,and what changes the most to become free like that. So to me it seems fitting. Im thinking of getting it on my right foot. SOON too.thanks to Uncle Sam and the "hook up" with my tattoo guy. So, not to sound silly or anything,but I needed to read your post this morning!;)

THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing that and posting it. I wake up sometimes before day light ,and cant go back to sleep. this morning my brain woke up with a lot on my mind. One of the things was, what can I do in memory of my Aunt who died in November. She was only 39. I thought about a butterfly for her. She struggled her whole life with addictions and mental illness, and now shes free from this earthly life. ANd I thought, what is more free than a butterfly,and what changes the most tbecome free like that. So to me it seems fitting. Im thinking of getting it on my right foot. SOON too.thanks to Uncle Sam and the "hook up" with my tattoo guy. So, not to sound silly or anything,but I needed to read your post this morning!;)

First, I'm glad my story inspired you in some small way - I'm sorry to hear of your aun'ts passing, so young! - I know how difficult such a loss can be. I think a butterfly tattoo would be a very beautiful tribute to her and a very healing one for yourself - I know, mine has brought me much peace

Some of healing depends on where you get it. Some on how you heal from things,and how you take care of it too. For me,it takes me a good 2 weeks for it to heal up.Scab up and peel. I use A and D ointment on mine and Tat Wax. It may also be more sensetive to sun too. Personally, I wouldnt get it any less than a month to 3 weeks before. and be sure to slather on the sunscreen. But everyone is different. If you already have them,then you know how your body will heal or even react to the ink.:){Im unsure if you have any}

I had surgery 2 weeks to the day after the one on my back,it was still itching and peeling,so that was not fun!

~Sarah[/quot

Thanks TnMama, that's exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate the info!

Youre more than Welcome HFR! If you get one, post a pic of it!!!

Reddirtgirl~ your words are kind! TY. I reread my post to you. Forgot to tell you Im sorry about your Mom. I dont know how that feels,but I quite imagine its one of the most difficult things to go through.

AND...today I was able to pay off my cruise, so to celebrate,Saturday Im getting that butterfly on my right foot!!! I already emailed my tattoo guy and ran it by DH {as Ive said before,he dont care what I do,lol} so woooo hooooo!!!! Im excited!

Didn't get to get my new tattoo yesterday,. but my DH will now have a new scar on his finger. We wound up in the ER with him. Poor guy was trying to change a boat trailer tire,and got his hand caught. so 6 stiches and 4 hrs later we were home. Too late for my apt. Now its rescheduled for Thursday evening.

Tat question: how long for "heal time"? Don't think I'd want to get one the day before a trip to the Caribbean but how much time do you need to get back to normal skin condition after tat time?

They say a week for healing, of course it depends or how fast a healer you are. My first tattoo I found out that I am allergic to Neosporin, so as you can imagine, it took a little longer than a week to heal. (eww)

My second it probably took a week or so, I just used antibacterial soap to clean it a couple times a day and lotion, no Neosporin, lol.

I don't cover my tats, but they cannot be seen unless in a bathing suit. However, this year my gown will have an extremely low back, so perhaps the tat on my lower back might be seen ;)

And whatever you do or whenever you get them (especially if they are new) USE A GOOD SUNSCREEN on them. I have a special "Miami Ink 45 SPF" that looks like a deodorant stick and use that on my tatts. On fresh and newly healing skin though, you'd burn VERY quickly and it would wreck your tattoo if you don't use a good sunscreen on it at all times in the sun.

Sunscreen!!!!! SunScreen! Sunscreen!!! I use the Water babies 50 spf on mine, in summer. Even the one on my back that you cant see except for in a tank top or bathing suit.

Woooo hoooo at the low cut dresss!!!!!ADK

Also, where ever you get it,let it "air out" some. I got lady bugs on my foot in Nov. WOuldnt have been a big deal since Im a SAHM,but we had to go out of town and I had to wear shoes and socks! Even with A and D and tat wax, it didnt have time to heal right and now they look horribly faded. Ive gotta get them fixed!!!

Plan are stil on hold for my butterfly. Got sick and had to buy meds that cost MORE than the tattoo I was gonna get,so budgetary issues,again!{dam it!}

Well I only have one tattoo and its on my right calf. My DH thought it was going to be small but its not to some it is but others its not. Its a butterfly with three hearts and stars all around it The butterfly is freedom that my kids have to choose what they want to do in life the hearts have their initial in them and the stars there are no limits to what they can do. I am thinking about extending it on down my leg and onto my foot but I haven't found anything that I want yet. As for hiding my tattoo NOPE!! I was going to church one Sunday and had capri's on and thought about changing them by DH said why you got it so show it off so from then on I haven't covered. so if you have them show them they are a piece of fine art.

I just got new tattoos on the top of my feet last week. I couldnt imagine having to cover them up. Maybe its just cause I hate to wear shoes. lol;)

I love feet tattoo's! yours are great!!! Part of me whishes I had gone for a more cohesive look on mine, but I didnt plan on getting but one....then I got hooked,lol.

Archived