Negative Reviews make me question whether on Same Cruise?

Dunelm

I have just read two reviews of the Grand Princess's holiday cruise to the Southern Caribbean, and both were negative. My husband and I had an absolutely wonderful cruise--terrific ports, food, entertainment, and service! Frankly, the only negative had to do with grumpy passengers who seemed to be looking for something to complain about. What's up with people these days? Are our expectations unrealistic? Have we been spoiled to the point that when everything is not perfect we have a tantrum? We encountered so many rude passengers who seemed to be treating the Grand's crew as if they were "serfs" or chattel. The cruise was fabulous; a lot of the passengers were not!

Thats strange, all the live froms and reviews I have seen on the Grand the last 2 months or so have been excellent. :confused:

There are reviews on the same cruise from both ends of the spectrum. It is amazing.

There are always those that live to complain and they will never be satisfied.

Thats strange, all the live froms and reviews I have seen on the Grand the last 2 months or so have been excellent. :confused:

There are reviews on the same cruise from both ends of the spectrum. It is amazing.

There are always those that live to complain and they will never be satisfied.

Go to the review page and go to the Grand Princess, you will see what the OP is talking about.

Those are not the only reviews.

What about all the other info provided here.

It does not count?

Not everyone spends as much time on the forums as those of us hibernating:p do. They probably figure they can get more info by just checking the reviews for the ship they are going on.

I am not sure what "Colo Cruiser" means by a "grain of salt." Can you explain?

Actually, my husband and I have decided we will probably ask for a table for two from now on. We are really tired of all the negativism. Of course, I know that I am being negative, too, on this post, and I apologize. But, something is happening to America's positive, can-do spirit. I figured we might have been verging on paranoia about all the grumpy Americans until I met two Canadians who asked us what was wrong with our fellow countrymen! Additionally, a crew member thanked us for being encouraging and said that roughly 70% of passngers are complainers.

I don't usually pay much attention to reviews since we are experienced cruisers and we mostly know which ships we will cruise. As an example, this year we will cruise the Ruby, Radiance of the Seas and the Constellation. Next year we begin with the Equinox. We have cruised all of these ships; hence, we do not require any further input.

On the other hand, I I was inclined to pursue some reviews I would consult the first page of CC where there appears more information about the reviewer and thier cabin designation etc. Since I have felt no need to explore this venue, I am not able, at this time, to venture an opinion as to the validity of the background information located at this site.

I am not sure what "Colo Cruiser" means by a "grain of salt." Can you explain?

Actually, my husband and I have decided we will probably ask for a table for two from now on. We are really tired of all the negativism. Of course, I know that I am being negative, too, on this post, and I apologize. But, something is happening to America's positive, can-do spirit. I figured we might have been verging on paranoia about all the grumpy Americans until I met two Canadians who asked us what was wrong with our fellow countrymen! Additionally, a crew member thanked us for being encouraging and said that roughly 70% of passngers are complainers.

Take ALL coments/reviews etc on shipboard happenings with a grain of salt.

70%!!!

Sometimes complaints are valid and not a "glass half empty" cruiser. We've had the unfortunate "off" cruise with a poor room steward or lousy waiters, while others on the ship have had the best of the crew. It happens. Read all reviews and decide for yourself. I resent being accused of a traveler who looks for all the wrong in a vacation. Not so.

You ever notice when one person complains, loads others follow suit? On our cruise in November, there was a 2 1/2 hour wait due to lack of tenders taking folks ashore. My husband and I sat in the Piazza and just giggled at everyone acting like jackasses.

Well, the crew member said that "about 70%" were complainers. I am quoting him, and cannot account for his accuracy, but I can account for all the disgruntled people I met. I am not exaggerating my own experience; I am asking why Americans are such a disgruntled bunch? It seems to me that most people who blog on this site love cruising, and that is one reason why I like to read the blogs. Nevertheless, I am still perturbed by all the unhappy people I heard on the ship.

I think some people truly have a bad experience (small %) and some just love/live to complain (larger %) and some enjoy their cruise whether it was flawless or not (largest %).

I do get embarrassed at the way some people treat the crew members, I've seen a woman screeching at the buffet staff because there was no banana available, and I heard LOUD complaining during a tour I was taking because we weren't making more shopping stops. I don't get how either of these issues are deserving of a complaint, but oh well.

Considering people do different excursions, have different servers, eat in different dining rooms, have different room stewards, have different interests (band may be more into country music while some don't like country music, others want to dance until 2 am and the nightlife ends at midnight) - it is not surprising there are different reviews.

On my last cruise - we had outstanding dining staff in traditional dining room. I have friends who said they routinely had to wait 30 plus minutes to get a table in the anytime dining rooms. This can easily influence the dining experience on both ends.

Having a bad room steward can definitely influence your opinion on service. While 10 cabins down the hall, those people may have a much better room steward.

On that same trip - I have some very good Princess excursions. Some friends had 5 days of their excursions cancelled and ended up doing something different then they had wanted to do. Totally different experience and I totally understand their frustration with the shore excursion desk.

Add another factor that with traditional dining - I could barely get into the 8 pm shows and was frustrated with that. My friends who had to wait for dinner often didn't get out of the dining room until later and they were able to easily catch the late show (which was too late for me).

Same cruise - totally different experiences. Both views are legit IMO.

I just read both of the negative reviews regarding the December 09 Grand Princess Southern Carribean cruise.

While I found some of the comments a bit too picky and critical... like expecting the staff to know what the weather report was, or the fact there were no bagels for breakfast. I'm sure had she asked, they would have gotten her bagels!

But, I did find a common thread in both reviews... the food!

Is it beyond reason to think that the meat might have been tough? I mean... it is possible, right? And if that was the case, I don't find anything wrong in stating so in a review.

Personally, I am not a big red meat eater, but have noticed cutbacks in the quality of the meat and fish. I understand this... so at dinner, I stick with the pasta dishes... they are usually great!

Considering people do different excursions, have different servers, eat in different dining rooms, have different room stewards, have different interests (band may be more into country music while some don't like country music, others want to dance until 2 am and the nightlife ends at midnight) - it is not surprising there are different reviews.

On my last cruise - we had outstanding dining staff in traditional dining room. I have friends who said they routinely had to wait 30 plus minutes to get a table in the anytime dining rooms. This can easily influence the dining experience on both ends.

Having a bad room steward can definitely influence your opinion on service. While 10 cabins down the hall, those people may have a much better room steward.

On that same trip - I have some very good Princess excursions. Some friends had 5 days of their excursions cancelled and ended up doing something different then they had wanted to do. Totally different experience and I totally understand their frustration with the shore excursion desk.

Add another factor that with traditional dining - I could barely get into the 8 pm shows and was frustrated with that. My friends who had to wait for dinner often didn't get out of the dining room until later and they were able to easily catch the late show (which was too late for me).

Same cruise - totally different experiences. Both views are legit IMO.

Very well said!!

It seems that every year holiday cruises recieve more than their fair share of negative reviews. Expectations always seem to be at their highest and complainers often at their loudest. No matter what time of year, yes I do beleive that expectations are very often unrealistic about cruising and far too many bring their "it's all about me" attitude on board with them.

For us every cruise is an adventure. No matter how much or well we plan ahead of time we know that there will still manage to be some twist and turns we didn't expect. We always remember to pack our sense of humor and patience with us when going on a cruise as we know at some point they will be needed. Unfortuantely there will always be others that either forget to bring them with them or don't have them in the first place.

Reviews are simply one person's view of their cruise experience. I always expect that many of those on the same cruise as us are going to have different views of the same cruise especially since we are not always in the same place at the same time doing the exact same things nor do we all take the same expectations with us on each cruise.

Archived