Need an opinion from NY'ers

Danno

We are trying to pick a hotel in NYC and may have narrowed it down to a few. We had originally wanted the Plaza but it's sold out (thankfully $) we are considering the following...

The Michelanglo Hotel

The Edison (my favorite)

The Metro Hotel

Any opinions would be a big help...

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

The Edison is a very large, plain, but clean and well located (for theater goers) hotel that caters to groups. We were staying somewhere else, but the staff were very helpful and friendly when we asked to see a room.

Danno,

Danno,

Some questions for you:

1) How much do you want to spend per night

2) Do you want to be near Times Square or shopping (for Mrs.Danno!

3) Hotel quality

4) Do you want to stay in a chain hotel, like W, Marriott, Sheraton,Hilton

As you know,we have OODLES of hotels! Give me a general idea and I will be more than happy to help you out.

You can email me off list.(Let's see if I did this right!!!!)

Anita

And now Infinity 2005!

Millennium 2003

Century 2002

Summit 2001

Century 2000

Zenith 1996

Horizon 1994

Horizon 1993

Sunward 1992

Star Princess 1990

Maxim Gorky 1974 & 1975

Hi Danno:

We visited New York a couple of weeks ago. We stayed at the Sheraton Russell on 37th and Park Avenue. It was an easy walk to Times Square and Grand Central Station, but it was in a very nice, quiet part of the city. It was less then a $20 cab ride from La Guardia if you instruct your cab driver to take the Midtown Tunnel.

Also, about a month ago, I posted a question here on Cruise Critic about New York Restaurants. Here is a link to that post:

Restaurant Information Post

One of the best pieces of information that I got was going to the website: Opentable.com

This site makes reservations in many cities, free of charge with links to the restaurant reviews.

New York is one of my favorite places - have a blast!!

Mindi

boat.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;12;4;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Constellation - Southern Caribbean

Infinity to Alaska 8-03 Review

Millennium to Eastern Carribbean 11-02

We have stayed at the Michelangelo Hotel a few times and it is a lovely hotel. We always reserved an upgraded room and were very satisfied. It is more of quiet and refined hotel. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

We have stayed at the Michelangelo Hotel a few times and it is a lovely hotel. We always reserved an upgraded room and were very satisfied. It is more of quiet and refined hotel. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

Are you coming to NYC for the sake of coming to NYC or are you doing a one night pre-cruise stay? What is most important. Location, price, ammenitites etc etc. If you are doing one night pre-cruise and then sailing out of NYC, anything mid-town is close enough to restaurants, a little night life a good nights sleep and an easy trip to the pier.

Marco

One night, pre-cruise, not landing until 9pm the evening previous to sailing so we'll realistically only have the following day until 2 o'clockish to explore. We sail at 4:30.

So an area where we can walk and explore, we are early risers, maybe hit Macy's or another landmark store...$200-250 is the target but there is some flexability. restaurants not a priority...I think we'll get to eat enough on the ship.

Dan

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

You should be able to stay WELL under that amount. Rates are usually better Fri/Sat than weekdays, too. If you get in at 9, by the time you get to midtown (from LaGuardia, I assume, it will be 10, by the time you deplane get luggage, get a cab blah, blah, blah) if Kennedy or Newark, later. You'll be ready for bed. Any midtown hotel would do, I think. Macy's is at 33/34th St, and a couple of hours in there could be fun. I would think about heading over to the pier around noon, however. Once you get a cab, it should not be more than a 10-15 minute ride. Or...if you don't want to do the shopping bit, if you can go to the pier 11-ish and just check in the luggage, you can walk down a couple of blocks and visit the s/s Intrepid aircraft carrier, which is now a musuem. Was it ok to use the "the"?

I agree with Marco--you just need a place to sleep and there are plenty of fine hotel rooms in the under $200 range. Don't forget to add taxes, which easily add 20% to the bill.

Through Priceline, you can get a great hotel for around $125--check out biddingfortravel.com for tips.

Regarding shopping, personally I think that Macy's in Herald Square is overrated. True, it's huge, but not high-end and the surrounding shopping district is not terribly classy.

The nicest shopping district is on 5th Avenue south of Central Park. For a real NY shopping experience, Tiffany's is a must, and all the big stores have their flagships nearby.

Michaelangelo it is!! How long and how $ cab from LGA? Or is there a better alternative??

Dan

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Danno, the cab ride takes up from 25 minutes to an hour from LGA depending on traffic and costs around $20-25. You have to pay tolls ($4) and a tip (15%). You can also reserve a car or limousine for about $35-$60. The advantage of reserving the car is that you don't have to wait in line for the taxi and you'll get a more comfortable ride. It's not considered a luxury to use a car service in NYC, just a more convenient and pleasant alternative to taxis.

Ed

Thanks Ed...The limo sounds fine. Would these fees be the price for the car or per person??

Now most importantly...knowing where I'll be staying can I get a slice of "real" NY pizza within walking dist...where would you recommend??

Dan

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Cab or Limo, the price would be per car, regardless the # of passengers. That time of evening, traffic should be fairly tame. As far as a good slice of pizza, I'd hed for little Italy, and just follow your nose!

You pay one price for a car service, up to 5 passengers. No additional charges for luggage. The driver will meet you at the luggage return and help you with your bags. When you make the reservation, you have to ask them to meet you there; otherwise you have to gather your bags yourself and find the car outside the terminal. It costs more to have them meet you inside but is definitely worth it.

Whatever you do, DON'T accept an offer from anyone at the terminal offering car service. Your driver will have your name on a sign so you'll know he's legit.

Regarding pizza, I think that the best pizza place is the one that's in front of you when you are hungry. If it looks good, it probably is--it's hard to find bad pizza in New York. You'll be staying in a crowded, mixed area (residential/business) so there will be plenty of options in all directions. Some people have favorite places, but I've never had a bad slice in New York and don't notice so much of a difference that I'd go out of my way for one particular pizza place.

Ed

If you hadn't noticed I am quite looking forward to this!!

I am not unfamiliar with large cities, nor am I intimidated by them...at the risk of sounding like a bumpkin, how safe should I assume this area is for walking??

Dan

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Believe it or not, New York is the safest large city in the US, and safer than most smaller cities.

We have had significant drops in crime rates every year for the past 10 years. Just when you think it can't get any lower, it does!

In particular, lower Manhattan (where you will be) is among the safest part of the city.

The area surrounding the pier is a bid seedy and deserted at night, and although it is generally safe I wouldn't feel comfortable walking there at night.

But your hotel is located in a 24/7 district with upscale shops, restaurants, and residences.

Anything can happen, of course, and we do have our fair share of crazies on the street, but the statistics are definitely in your favor.

Much as I had expected...this is shaping up as one of my most anticipated holidays!!

I really think Marco, Ed and Duck should join us icon_biggrin.gif Think of the good times we could have making fun of Newt!!

Dan

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ecowen:

In particular, lower Manhattan (where you will be) is among the safest part of the city.

But your hotel is located in a 24/7 district with upscale shops, restaurants, and residences.

Anything can happen, of course, and we do have our fair share of crazies on the street, but the statistics are definitely in your favor.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excuse me for intruding, but this Michelangelo Hotel http://www.michelangelohotel.com/index.html is not quite lower Manhattan. Is everyone thinking of a different hotel?

That's the one...about 6 blocks south of Central Park. West 51st Street between 6th and 7th.

This is still ok, right??

Dan

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

You're right, Tug, lower Manhattan can also mean all the way downtown, aka the financial district. I was just referring to anything below East 96th or West 125th Street.

Danno, your hotel is technically in Midtown West. Not to worry, it is in a very nice, safe area.

Ed

danno

youll love nyc. where exactly is your hotel? i am not familiar with it. i would ove to meet up with you but week ends are tough since i am not in the city. if for some reason i am in the city i would love to take you for some real nyc pizza. and no disrespect to previous poster but in my opinion there is a big difference where you partake. you will probably find a "rays famous" pizza where ever you are. i think its terrible icon_mad.gif pizza. if you can find a brick oven pizzaria they are by far the best

Ed....took your advice and my TA will arrange "Town Car" service from LGA...thanks for all the advice everyone.

If you ever come to North Bay icon_wink.gif (or Toronto) and need advice...I'm your guy!!

Duck...west 51st, between 6th and 7th. I'll take it as a good thing that your work hasn't taken you to this address. How was your travel companion??

Duck...if you and/or Mrs.Duck find yourself in the city Jill and I would be honoured to treat you to breakfast, lunch, dinner, whatever works for you. This also goes for Marco and/or Ed...

Dan

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

[This message was edited by Danno on 04-15-04 at 02:01 PM.]

Danno...

Too late, but I would suggest the Renaissance. It's right in Times Square, their breakfast restaurant lookd out over Times Square. Rates are down now, about $200 for a really nice room.

Ray's pizza is the place for a slice any time ofthe day or night. Several Ray's near Times Square.

Ron

Archived