1st cruise. what to pack?!?

Kylie84

My husband and I are going on our first cruise on 1/23 on the Mercury from Baltimore to Bahamas. I am a little at a loss of what to pack.

What do people wear just hanging around the ship on days at sea?

What do we need to wear to breakfast/lunch? I think I have dinners covered.

take out of your suit-case most of what you pack and then put in money instead!!:D

I have not been on this particular cruise so not sure about the type of weather you may encounter. I would guess it might be cool until you get close to the Bahamas?? For breakfast and lunch you can wear pretty much "casual" type clothes...shorts (if it is warm), warm-up suits if it is cold...just no robes (can't believe people do that) or swim-suits.

Enjoy your cruise! And perhaps other CC members who have done this route can help more! LuAnn

For day you'll see people in everything from bathing suit (with coverup) to shorts & tees, and even a few people who dress up a lot more (typically older ladies and gentlemen).

For breakfast and lunch it's the same thing. If you're eating in the main dining room then you can't go in with a bathing suit or coverup - so shorts, a sundress, etc. would be fine. You do need shoes or at least flip flops in the dining room and buffet even at breakfast and lunch.

So it's generally pretty casual.

If you're expecting cold weather then my suggestion is to bring things that can be layered. On our coldest cruise I took jeans, a pair of khakis, yoga pants, and then everything from tank tops to a hoodie and trench coat.

Daytime is definitely not fashion show time --- you can absolutely plan to wear things more once!

Remove enough clothes from your suitcase so you can get by with a suitcase each and one carryon between you. No matter how long the trip, I take 3 pair of long pants (people my age really shouldn't wear shorts!:eek:), and 5 t-shirts. I have used this for cruises over a month long. No one remembers what you have been wearing except you. So follow the long-time suggestion - half the clothes and twice the money. :D

Remove enough clothes from your suitcase so you can get by with a suitcase each and one carryon between you. No matter how long the trip, I take 3 pair of long pants (people my age really shouldn't wear shorts!:eek:), and 5 t-shirts. I have used this for cruises over a month long. No one remembers what you have been wearing except you. So follow the long-time suggestion - half the clothes and twice the money. :D

Hi Nancy:)people your age? I know you are not old:D...what age should gals not wear them?:confused:...I am 51 and still do....the heat in the Caribbean

can be a b***h......shorts and t's are my normal daytime attire unless I am in a bathing suit and cover up:)

To the Original Poster, you might pop over to the Fashion Forum.

There are lots of threads about clothing over there.

Many well traveled people will tell you to take half of what you want to pack. We are getting ready for cruise number 40 and I take much more than I did on cruise number one. All that aside, you absolutely must pack a good attitude and an open mind. Otherwise, some insignificant uninportant minor detail could ruin you trip. I sure hope you have a wonderful cruise and continue to have many more.

Robb

Hi Nancy:)people your age? I know you are not old:D...what age should gals not wear them?:confused:...I am 51 and still do....the heat in the Caribbean

can be a b***h......shorts and t's are my normal daytime attire unless I am in a bathing suit and cover up:)

To the Original Poster, you might pop over to the Fashion Forum.

There are lots of threads about clothing over there.

Lois - I have kids your age. It's okay with me if the young ones - they and you - wear shorts.:D

Kylie- Welcome to Cruise Critic! I agree with other posters- shorts for daytime (if you're comfortable wearing them). Keep your arrival "Baltimore" clothes on for sailaway- you'll definitely want to be outside on the open decks for quite awhile as you sail down the bay. That first night's dinner will be casual (some people might not even have received their suitcases yet).

By the first full day, the weather should be warm (although it's a little sub-normal for all of eastern USA and Caribbean right now). However, the indoor areas can be chilly- take a sweater or shawl just in case.

Other items you might not consider packing: your cabin will not have a clock, but it will have a hair dryer and shampoo, soap and lotion. Irons, candles, etc are not allowed. If you're a swimmer, take at least two bathing suits, as it takes awhile for them to dry onboard (there will be a clothes line in the shower). Beach towels will be provided by X.

Have a great cruise- I wish I could get away to somewhere warm right now!!!

Lois - I have kids your age. It's okay with me if the young ones - they and you - wear shorts.:D

Hi Nancy, so you are in your 70s? That is still young:) ...my Dad is old enough to be your dad.....

Archived