Queen Victoria unable to dock in New York tuesday?

northernsailor

Not a great start to the world cruise for them unfortunately :(

Thousands of passengers travelling on a British cruise ship could be refused entry into the U.S. after an outbreak of a winter vomiting bug.

The Queen Victoria will not be allowed to dock if the virus reaches an epidemic rate, where 15 per cent of those onboard are affected, authorities warn. So far, 30 people have been confined to their cabins.

[link]

Not a great start to the world cruise for them unfortunately :(

Thousands of passengers travelling on a British cruise ship could be refused entry into the U.S. after an outbreak of a winter vomiting bug.

The Queen Victoria will not be allowed to dock if the virus reaches an epidemic rate, where 15 per cent of those onboard are affected, authorities warn. So far, 30 people have been confined to their cabins.

[link]

We already had this discussion twice. :)

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1117076

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=22604413&highlight=mail#post22604413

Also on this CC website

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3629

Looks like she's arriving a day early tomorrow anyway.

DW and I will sail from New York to San Francisco on QV on Tuesday, as scheduled. Naturally, we extend our sympathy to those stricken by the norovirus but are otherwise looking forward to enjoying our trip as long-planned.

Happy Sailing!

We are also, in fact we fly to NY this afternoon. :) Hope you have a safe journey to the ship.

it was reported over the weekend that 3 hospitals in Worcs. UK had closed to visitors because of it, Fred Olsen has it.

If it starts soon after sailing, it has almost certainly been brought aboard by embarking passengers.Wash your hands after every visit and use the handgels provided, every visit to a dining area was greeted by this on our last cruise, Dec 09, but so many don,t use it!!!

Not a great example of journalism....QV docked early and passengers have disembarked.....

Yes, I was one of them. Docked at noon, had an electrical problem with the gangway at Pier 88, and still home at 1:25pm

As it is now history and the QV has docked and disembarked her passengers, it just shows how some people seem to love to stir the pot with speculation rather than facts. Doing such scares some passengers with no cause or foundation, which is a shame.:(

How did this crossing compare with last year's?

Peter

Peter,

With norovirus aboard, a number of activities, parties and dining venues were cancelled, but I knew no one who was ill and the turnout at the lectures was a high as ever.

The weather was very cold except for part of one day when the temp hit 55, and with only one rough day, we made such good time, the ship arrived a day early. The highlight, for me, was the several inches of snow that fell on the 9th covering the entire top of the ship - Decks 9/10.

Yes, I was one of them. Docked at noon, had an electrical problem with the gangway at Pier 88, and still home at 1:25pm

do people get credit for losing a day of ship time? does this happen often? will it leave nyc earlier or on schedule?

do people get credit for losing a day of ship time? does this happen often? will it leave nyc earlier or on schedule?

I could have stayed the extra night in port but elected not to as I live in NYC. Most did stay, especially those with New York hotel and other travel arrangements that begin today.

To reach "epidemic" status, approx 300 pax would have to be infected; since a mere 30 have been reported, it is highly unlikely to reach "epidemic" status in the next 48 hours. So best to just cool it and see what develops:)

If 300 have the noro, a ship would be in a code red. CDC closes the ship down. Believe the percentage is more like 2 or 3% for strict cleaning measures etc. If you ever come down with the noro, you will understand the concern. Many women and men still do not wash their hands after going to the bathroom. It is all habit.

As posted on the other thread, QV docked a day early by arrangement...see the CDC report...

Cruise Line: Cunard Cruise Line

Cruise Ship: Queen Victoria

Voyage Dates: 01/04 – 01/12

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers: 179 of 1,874 (9.55%)

Number of ill crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew: 8 of 983 (0.81%)

Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting

Actions: In response to the outbreak, Cunard Cruise Line and the crew onboard the ship and the Vessel Sanitation Program are taking the following actions:

* 2 of 5 onboard clinical specimens tested for Norovirus were positive, and samples are being collected for CDC lab analysis

* the ship began this first leg of a world cruise in Southampton, England on 4 January and will disembark some 800 passengers in NYC (all sea days - no other ports)

* the ship is attempting to arrive some 18 hours early to the NYC port, weather permitting (1 pm on 11 January)

* VSP will board the ship to evaluate the conditions onboard, but it has not been determined at what port and date (Queen Victoria leaves NYC on 12 January and arrives 15 January in Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale).

* the ship is actively following their outbreak prevention and response procedures to gain control of the outbreak and at least one of the companies public health staff is joining the ship in New York to help with the organization and implementation of the disinfection to be done at the port between cruise segments

* additional cleaners have also been arranged to board the ship on 11 and 12 January

* VSP has requested and is receiving GI reports twice daily from the ship and is awaiting other documentation for review

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2010/january1qvictoria.htm

also please remember that this number is only those who report to the medical Center or are reported by the crew. Not all report. Many/some people chose not to. Anti-nausea and something for the "runs" and bed rest do as well as most things you can get from the medical center and a day or two and its over. Some people get a very mild case. I am not suggesting you should do that but some people do.

also please remember that this number is only those who report to the medical Center or are reported by the crew. Not all report. Many/some people chose not to. Anti-nausea and something for the "runs" and bed rest do as well as most things you can get from the medical center and a day or two and its over. Some people get a very mild case. I am not suggesting you should do that but some people do.

It also presumably includes those who report for something other than Norovirus.

Cough cough - I can tell you that the vast majority of women do wash their hands. My husband reports otherwise about a sizeable minority of chaps.

Mary

And I have heard from female friends that women are not all that good at washing. Cough cough. ;)

And I have heard from female friends that women are not all that good at washing. Cough cough. ;)

My wife has got the whole washing deal well sorted. She makes me wash the dishes, she makes me wash the clothes, she makes me wash the floors, she makes me wash the...

Teach me to marry a South African :D:)

J

My wife has got the whole washing deal well sorted. She makes me wash the dishes, she makes me wash the clothes, she makes me wash the floors, she makes me wash the...

Teach me to marry a South African :D:)

J

Well, she must be the exception the because the South African men tend to sit around and wait to be served! (FYI, South African American here ;) )

Well, she must be the exception the because the South African men tend to sit around and wait to be served!

Yeah, probably says more about my luck than anything. She's more of the pioneer woman type. Hee hee.

(FYI, South African American here ;) )

I know, we've talked before.

J

Archived