The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

Port Canaveral votes to stop issuing permits to park-and-rides

I am curious to see what this means for us that are already booked in a hotel with shuttle service to the pier and parking at the hotel.....

PORT CANAVERAL — The Canaveral Port Authority board voted today to stop issuing new permits to operators of park-and-ride services to the port.

Commissioners see this as a way to help stop the erosion of port parking revenue, which is a major source of profit for Port Canaveral.

In addition, commissioners approved a new $50-per-trip fee on current providers of such park-and-ride operations, including local hotels and owners of parking lots.

The vote was 3-2, with Vice Chairman Tom Weinberg and Secretary-Treasurer Jerry Allender voting no. They felt they should have had more time to consider the options, which they first received during the meeting.

The commission stopped short of its parking consultant's recommendation to revoke all permits for current parking providers

I can't believe how greedy this is. Not only does the port already charge 8 days for a 7 night cruise, effectively charging twice for one day, but now they are forcing companies like Park n Cruise to either raise prices and wait for the shuttles to be totally full both going to the port and returning from the port.

We used Park n Cruise in February and when we were debarking we had zone 1. We were the first ones on the shuttle and the driver waited a few minutes and then took us to our car. Now, given the same scenario, we would probably have to wait until the shuttle were totally full before leaving.

What about hotels with their park n ride packages? How much will their rates go up? I don't think the commissioners thought about anything else but how to be more greedy.

If you would like to email the port, rather than using the email form on the site which, to me, has difficulty with the security digits that need to be put on the email, I was given an address by the port authority operator. It is dgreenslade@portcanaveral.com.

I am hoping that if enough people complain, they will reconsider. It makes a difference to many of us.

I can't believe how greedy this is. Not only does the port already charge 8 days for a 7 night cruise, effectively charging twice for one day, but now they are forcing companies like Park n Cruise to either raise prices and wait for the shuttles to be totally full both going to the port and returning from the port.

We used Park n Cruise in February and when we were debarking we had zone 1. We were the first ones on the shuttle and the driver waited a few minutes and then took us to our car. Now, given the same scenario, we would probably have to wait until the shuttle were totally full before leaving.

What about hotels with their park n ride packages? How much will their rates go up? I don't think the commissioners thought about anything else but how to be more greedy.

If you would like to email the port, rather than using the email form on the site which, to me, has difficulty with the security digits that need to be put on the email, I was given an address by the port authority operator. It is dgreenslade@portcanaveral.com.

I am hoping that if enough people complain, they will reconsider. It makes a difference to many of us.

I feel bad for all of the shuttle companies!!!

We just talked to the Radisson the other day and they told us they just got 14 shuttle buses.......14 for pete's sake!!! What in the world is that going to do to them??

Just pure greed is all it is!!!!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

We just talked to the Radisson the other day and they told us they just got 14 shuttle buses.......14 for pete's sake!!! What in the world is that going to do to them??

Maybe they are being "grandfathered" -- ie existing permits would not be rescinded or affected by a new rule. Only new permit applications would be affected.

Maybe they are being "grandfathered" -- ie existing permits would not be rescinded or affected by a new rule. Only new permit applications would be affected.

Nope... There will be no more 'new' applications accepted and all current parking companies will be charged the new higher entrance fee.

I cannot imagine what that is going to do to the price of cruise packages at the hotel, we have a car and might end up not staying in cocoa beach if the prices go up too much, they are going to hurt the economy of cocoa beach in the long run

Can someone put me in contact with this limousine service

that is local and had good service.

I seen it on here a few months back and folks were talking

about how they used this company to go to the space

center.

If you read the notes from the meeting, it says they have "not decided at this time what to do with hotel shuttles..."

I have attached a photo I took in Dec while going through the Shuttle toll booth to Port Canaveral. I had been told that the shuttle buses where being charged $50 per entrance, but according to the posted rates the top charge is $15. Of course that is $15 to drop off passengers and probably $15 to pick up.

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/fe/l=en_US/p/Organizer/AlbumID=9687786014/s_c=0/s_otsc=SHR/s_otsi=SPIClink/s_ev20=OTSC|SHR|OTSI|SPIClink/s_se=FDR/s_pt=PRE/s_st=RegOptEu#state={%22pl%22%3A{%22uc%22%3A2%2C%22aid%22%3A9687786014%2C%22pid%22%3A506190474014%2C%22pidx%22%3A0%2C%22vp%22%3A%22s%22%2C%22sb%22%3A5}%2C%22ovm%22%3A{%22v%22%3A%22s%22}}

Edited by mfeenker

That's for a bus that holds 45 people or more... I've never seen a shuttle that big... maybe the 25 but usually it's the 15 passenger van.

Your correct that the normal shuttles are less than 45+ (tour buses deliver passengers and hold 45+) Raddison shuttles would be in the $12 per trip category and Park and Cruise uses the 15 passenger vans.

The original question dealt with the port charge for shuttle service, and that is the reason for posting the photo link.

Hi mfeenker (Mike), this is Nat. I am going back on the Freedom in December. I had knee replacement surgery in January so hope I can enjoy this cruise better than last year.

Enjoy your future cruises. Maybe our paths will cross again some time.

For our cruise in Nov. I have checked the hotels near the port and the rates are in my opinion crazy at over $200 for one night including taxes. With the cost for 7 nights of parking at the port being $120 I can understand some of it but really? I can stay in Titusville just off 95 for about $80, pay the parking fee AND have my car right at the port!

Am I seeing it wrong here?

For our cruise in Nov. I have checked the hotels near the port and the rates are in my opinion crazy at over $200 for one night including taxes. With the cost for 7 nights of parking at the port being $120 I can understand some of it but really? I can stay in Titusville just off 95 for about $80, pay the parking fee AND have my car right at the port!

Am I seeing it wrong here?

Never can say what drives the hotel prices but as most I am sure it is supply and demand. Nothing wrong with your plan but to save a few dollars consider one of the off site lots for your car.

Never can say what drives the hotel prices but as most I am sure it is supply and demand. Nothing wrong with your plan but to save a few dollars consider one of the off site lots for your car.

I know, I know... I live at the beach and see the huge price spike every year but STILL! This is MY vacation... LOL:eek:

I may look into the off-site parking - Does anyone have an opinion about the Four Points in Cocoa Beach?

I know, I know... I live at the beach and see the huge price spike every year but STILL! This is MY vacation... LOL:eek:

I may look into the off-site parking - Does anyone have an opinion about the Four Points in Cocoa Beach?

Nice property. Next door to Ron Jons and in the heart of everything.

Stayed there earlier this month Clean place –nice room -VERY convenient location. The pool is very small. There are maybe 6 chars and the pool is surrounded by a cement wall. We used the beach, ( (which is only s block a way) so the lack of nice pool was not an issue.

M

Check out prices for Doubletree in Cocoa Beach. You can leave your car there for free and they have shuttle service for $4.00. If you are a Hilton Honors member look at hiltonfamilymvpdotcom for the MVP rates. If you are not a member you can join for free.

Nice property. Next door to Ron Jons and in the heart of everything.

Stayed there earlier this month Clean place –nice room -VERY convenient location. The pool is very small. There are maybe 6 chars and the pool is surrounded by a cement wall. We used the beach, ( (which is only s block a way) so the lack of nice pool was not an issue.

M

Thanks, it's in the more reasonable range of $120-140 including the parking and trip to/from the port. Thanks again:D

And thanks for the DoubleTree option also:D

A friend and I are doing a "quickie" back to back - 4/3 on Sensation in October. I have sent an email to the "contact us" on the Port of Canaveral site, but received no response. IF we use the port parking, when you drive in, they have always (at other ports) charged for however long that cruise is. We will not be going back to get in our car between cruises, obviously. Will we pay for both trips at once? Also, the way PC charges (the "double dipping" by charging both incoming and outgoing cruisers a full day) - we would wind up paying $30 for the turnaround day, right? Craziness! Just trying to figure out what to do!

A friend and I are doing a "quickie" back to back - 4/3 on Sensation in October. I have sent an email to the "contact us" on the Port of Canaveral site, but received no response. IF we use the port parking, when you drive in, they have always (at other ports) charged for however long that cruise is. We will not be going back to get in our car between cruises, obviously. Will we pay for both trips at once? Also, the way PC charges (the "double dipping" by charging both incoming and outgoing cruisers a full day) - we would wind up paying $30 for the turnaround day, right? Craziness! Just trying to figure out what to do!

I believe you will find the port now charges on the way out so you should only be charged 8 days parking. I would suggest using one of the off site parking options ie: Raddison or park and cruise for about half the cost.

Port Canaveral votes to stop issuing permits to park-and-rides

I am curious to see what this means for us that are already booked in a hotel with shuttle service to the pier and parking at the hotel.....

PORT CANAVERAL — The Canaveral Port Authority board voted today to stop issuing new permits to operators of park-and-ride services to the port.

Commissioners see this as a way to help stop the erosion of port parking revenue, which is a major source of profit for Port Canaveral.

In addition, commissioners approved a new $50-per-trip fee on current providers of such park-and-ride operations, including local hotels and owners of parking lots.

The vote was 3-2, with Vice Chairman Tom Weinberg and Secretary-Treasurer Jerry Allender voting no. They felt they should have had more time to consider the options, which they first received during the meeting.

The commission stopped short of its parking consultant's recommendation to revoke all permits for current parking providers

Maybe it's just new ones as stated so maybe the ones that already have a permit will be able to bypass the fees.