Do Not Use This Insurance Company

shaq

Do you work for them or something? They are not far from where I live.. thanks for the heads up Shaq.. I will steer far away from them!

Now, that's what I call a worthless comment. For what it's worth:

I don't work for anyone; my Wife and I have been retired for 15 years, and we travel extensively. We always purchase travel insurance.

Several years ago, I was nearly victimized by a travel insurance package that I purchased through a Florida travel agent. When I had to terminate a trip because of the death of a close relative, I submitted a claim, which was denied several times over a four month period. The travel package turned out to be bogus. I did, however, get some satisfaction by publishing facts about the company on Forums like Cruise Critic, and along with several other customers, with some help from State Finance Departments in several states, we were instrumental in putting the company out of business.

Since that time, I've read Forums like this frequently to try to help others who might be enticed into dealing with shady sellers of insurance, or insurance-type products.

If I know that a product is bad, I'll share the information with whoever is asking a question. If, on the other hand, I think that a product is good, I'll share that information as well.

From what I can determine, TravelSafe is a good product.

Some people just don't want to be helped, if someone else's suggestions differ with what they've already decided to do. I'll make it a goal to not try to help these people in the future.

TravelSafe sells seven or eight different travel policies to individuals, the best two being Premier and VacationPlan. I do not see a plan called TravelMate. They are generally regarded as being a trustworthy and reliable insurer with a good record of paying claims. Two of the plans are sold by insuremytrip (Premier and Vacation).

TripMate is a partner company to TravelSafe, but it sells its customized policies through travel agents and other travel suppliers, and to determine your exact coverage you have to know your plan number because each policy is slightly different and customized by the travel supplier to provide (or exclude) specific coverages for their clientele. Insuremytrip does NOT list TripMate as one of their providers.

Processing of the claim should be handled in a professional and timely manner, and it appears that the OP is not receiving either, BUT you need to get your copy of the insurance coverage/certificate in front of you and identify the correct plan name, number and provider as well as your certificate of coverage number. Filing a claim using incorrect or incomplete information will only delay the processing of your claim.[/QU

BBB is a joke.... and not always a reliable source. You do realize that many businesses opt out on joining BBB as it is a membership organization and not a requirement ? ......

What do you mean a requirement? It takes paying membership dues to become a member....... members also agree to thing like arbitration to resolve complaints and things like that.

Definitely an odd organization that others put a lot of faith in. It's also obvious that different industries get more complaints i.e. used car dealers, contruction and things like that.

It ain't like years ago.....

I also had another thought: how do we know that the claim submitted was for a covered event?

Another word to the wise: Cruiseco knows the travel insurance biz well so heed any advice he may give......

BBB is a joke.... and not always a reliable source. You do realize that many businesses opt out on joining BBB as it is a membership organization and not a requirement ?

I do not know what you base your opinion on? But for me the BBB is no joke as far as I am concerned.

I had a very substantial compliant against one of their members from another state. I ended up using the BBB arbitration against their member and won. If that business was not a BBB member I could not have gotten to use the BBB mandatory arbitration; I would have had to hire a lawyer in the other state and sue them there. I know of two other who have also used the BBB to get a BBB member to resolve a complaint.

The BBB has certain requirements and commitments that business must meet before they can join. From what I have heard it cost about $200-$300 a year.

I check their national site (bbb.org) every time I buying anything online of any real value. I will always choose a BBB member over a non-member. I trust them a lot more that the reviews that yahoo, google, superpages, etc. put up online. Just my opinion.

As far as travel insurance claims, I have only used CSA and they paid with very little hassle.

J

My point was like in your case, a MEMBER agrees to arbitration etc. Now as far as requirements that may be where you and I disagree. They do agree to the terms and conditions of membership, but that's about it. I had a co-workers husband that was a sales rep for the BBB and it was more money/membership driven than I believe it should have been.

As mentioned, it ain't your grandmother's BBB anymore as it's lost a lot of credibility in the last 20 years.

My point was like in your case, a MEMBER agrees to arbitration etc. Now as far as requirements that may be where you and I disagree. They do agree to the terms and conditions of membership, but that's about it. I had a co-workers husband that was a sales rep for the BBB and it was more money/membership driven than I believe it should have been.

As mentioned, it ain't your grandmother's BBB anymore as it's lost a lot of credibility in the last 20 years.

Well that what I said "Member agree to arbitration" (and other terms and conditions) Why wouldn't I choose a BBB member over a non-member if I knew that I was going to get some additional benefits if I had a problem with the company.

The OP is complaining about an Insurance company. By going to the BBB.org site I can find out who the company is, the owner, how long they have been around AND how many complaints they have against them and if they have been resolved. If I call the BBB I'll get even more info. Where else on the web are you going to get this much information this fast?

I find the BBB to be one of the best tools out there to help me make a decision as to whether or not to do business with I company I don't know. Where else can you get this kind of information on the web or anywhere.

As far as the BBB being a money making company, I have no problem with that. They seem to be fair and if a member goes flaky they seem to get rid of them. And they seem to rate non-member fairly too. Look at CruiseCritic, they are not BBB members and the have an "A" rating.

J

• 5 months later...

Bought insurance for a trip that cost over $800.

I had an injury that required medical attention.

Called the ins. co. from Asia and had them fax the multipage forms to me.

Saw a nurse and doctor. Care was poor.

On the stop, I had the medical forms completed by the doctor.

Got a paid receipt for the medical care.

Sent all forms (and there were a lot) to Tripmate.

Several weeks later, I got a letter refusing to pay until my primary health insurance refuses to pay. Tripmate says they are a secondary insurance. No where in any literature does the policy state that it is secondary. For what I paid, it should be automatic. We are still going round with this claim. It isn't a lot of money. However, I did pay for the insurance and I deserve my expenses paid. The hassle is enough to make you scream. Tripmate is probably betting that the hassle will make me give up in disgust. Wrong. I am retired and have time to make calls until I win. At this point, the time that I have spent with multiple Tripmate people probably amounts to more in wages than my claim. We will continue. Never buy insurance from Tripmate. If anyone has any hints on how to deal with Tripmate, please help me. I not down and out. I will win this claim.

Several weeks later, I got a letter refusing to pay until my primary health insurance refuses to pay. Tripmate says they are a secondary insurance. No where in any literature does the policy state that it is secondary. For what I paid, it should be automatic. We are still going round with this claim. It isn't a lot of money. However, I did pay for the insurance and I deserve my expenses paid. The hassle is enough to make you scream. Tripmate is probably betting that the hassle will make me give up in disgust. Wrong. I am retired and have time to make calls until I win. At this point, the time that I have spent with multiple Tripmate people probably amounts to more in wages than my claim. We will continue. Never buy insurance from Tripmate. If anyone has any hints on how to deal with Tripmate, please help me. I not down and out. I will win this claim.

I understand what you are saying, but most travel insurance policies do require you to bill your primary insurance first, as they provide only secondary medical coverage. Without seeing your policy, I have no way to comment on the terms of your specific policy. Is there some reason you just can't submit the claims to your primary medical insurance carrier? Why not submit the billing to them, and then, when you are paid or denied, submit the claim to the travel insurance? If your travel insurance is truly the secondary payor, there's no way they are going to process the claim without the explanation of benefits from the primary carrier.

If they are not complying with the terms of your policy, stop wasting time and report them to your state's Department of Insurance.

Usually your policy will have some kind of wording that a claim must be processed within XXX days. However, they must have received all the paperwork needed to process the claim.

I have filed a couple of claims through Travelguard and received payment in a couple of weeks.

somewhere in the policy it will say whether its primary(pays the claim whether or not you have other insurance) or secondary(pays after you have been reimbursed/denied by your other insurance). It has to be somewhere in the policy. If you have a policy that is secondary yelling at them or filling a complaint will get you nothing. Your state insurance department will tell you the same thing. It doesn't matter how expensive the policy is, its either primary or secondary and expensive policies can be secondary too. You have to comply with the policy. It takes them 10 seconds to determine whether your policy is primary or secondary-its in the notes. It doesn't cost them much when you call. If you have copies of the filings file them with your other carrier at the same time file a complaint with your insurance department or Ag(if you tell us what state you live in I'll give you a link to their website.)

Most states(not all) have standards for completing a claim. Most states its 30 days or less upon receiving a complete claim to pay or deny the claim. The clock can sometimes be suspended while they ask you or the provider for more information. However if they have told you(in writing) that you need to file with your primary carrier first until you follow up the claim IS complete because they have denied it.

We use a a company thru out TA called Berkley or Barclay, can't remember but can check for anyone interested. In 2008 member of our travelling party developed a life threating blood clot one week before the trip and could not go. We were reimbursed by the insurance company faster than Carnival reimbursed their percentage. Needed to fill out lots of documentation and have doctors fill out forms but did everything they requested.

Good luck and I hope you see your money soon

Had the same wonderful experience with them after my late husband had a stroke in the middle of our cruise - sent the death certificate and we were quickly reimbursed for the entire cruise- they made a really terrible time a little better due to the ease of their reimbursement. We had them for our flight insurance (two different policies) as well, and that was quickly reimbursed as well. I would highly recommend them.

OP - I hope you get your money soon - nothing worse than insurance haggles after you pay your premiums.

Had the same wonderful experience with them after my late husband had a stroke in the middle of our cruise - sent the death certificate and we were quickly reimbursed for the entire cruise- they made a really terrible time a little better due to the ease of their reimbursement. We had them for our flight insurance (two different policies) as well, and that was quickly reimbursed as well. I would highly recommend them.

OP - I hope you get your money soon - nothing worse than insurance haggles after you pay your premiums.

Berkley is a third party administrator. In fact its the administrator for NCL among others. They perform this service for your insurance company who ever it is just like trip mate does. They follow the directions of the insurer. Although they may have access to the insurance companies check books but can't issue the check until the insurance company funds the account.

http://www.berkleyrisk.com/

but most people don't care as long as they get the claim paid

BTW sometimes making you submit to the primary IS the run around. an example you have medicare without a supplemental carrier. You have a claim from outside the country. medicare NEVER pays for claims outside the US(there is one exception wouldn't you know. If you LIVE in a place in the US where the closest hospital is in another country(Mexico or Canada) a trip to that hospital MAY be covered)...so making you submit to the Medicare processing company is a run around.

No where in the policy does it state that it is a secondary insurance. I will get them what they ask. However, it sounds like the company is trying hard to not pay. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the feedback.

in what state are you located?

do you have a link to the policy?

as you may gather I know the people at Berkley although I haven't spoken with them for a while...and they know me.

and I am an attorney(retired)...

there has to be something in the policy that says primary or secondary even if it doesn't use those words exactly. Most states require approval of the form....

like "this policy pays after payment from all other insurance"

This is how I finally settled with them. If you purchased your insurance through Insure My trip, send them an email or call hey do try to help you. M next step was to file a complaint with the BBB and my states insurance department.

They settled with me right after they received the 2 complaints. I had my check within 3 days. This was after 10 weeks of fighting with them. I had to cancel my trip 2 days before it was to start. I gave them all there required information, my doctors letter the hospital letter with the bill. They put my TA through hell, questioned her as to when she notified Celebrity about the cancellation, and then called Celebrity and made believe they were her.

I hope you settle with them soon. I have now gone back to using Travelguard they are the best out there.

BTW sometimes making you submit to the primary IS the run around. an example you have medicare without a supplemental carrier. You have a claim from outside the country. medicare NEVER pays for claims outside the US(there is one exception wouldn't you know. If you LIVE in a place in the US where the closest hospital is in another country(Mexico or Canada) a trip to that hospital MAY be covered)...so making you submit to the Medicare processing company is a run around.

I work in this field and what you say is true, but even if Medicare won't pay, you will still need that denial from them to bill the secondary coverage. I do this all the time and it's a PITA because obviously Medicare isn't going to cover it, but if they require the denial, you need it and you may as well stop spinning your wheels and just do what they want. Medicare claims are processed pretty quickly anyway. Saves a lot of frustration in the end.

there has to be something in the policy that says primary or secondary even if it doesn't use those words exactly. Most states require approval of the form....

like "this policy pays after payment from all other insurance"

And they can take a lot of words to say that. Here's from one policy:

"Excess Insurance: The insurance provided by this Policy shall be in excess of all other valid and collectible insurance or indemnity. If at the time of the occurrence of any loss there is other valid and collectible insurance or indemnity in place, the Company shall be liable only for the excess of the amount of loss, over the amount of such other insurance or indemnity, and applicable deductible. Recovery of losses from other parties does not result in a refund of premium paid."

I purchase my travel insurance through the cruise line because I feel it is one less thing I have to worry about. But I would like to make a suggestion. If you are planning on using insuremytrip to purchase your trip insurance and you find a policy you like, why not go-line and research the company first to see if there are any complaints against them before purchasing your insurance? Than if you find there are a lot of complaints you can look for another company. IMMHO this will certainly save a lot of headaches and heartaches down the road.

And they can take a lot of words to say that. Here's from one policy:

"Excess Insurance: The insurance provided by this Policy shall be in excess of all other valid and collectible insurance or indemnity. If at the time of the occurrence of any loss there is other valid and collectible insurance or indemnity in place, the Company shall be liable only for the excess of the amount of loss, over the amount of such other insurance or indemnity, and applicable deductible. Recovery of losses from other parties does not result in a refund of premium paid."

in some states this would violate the plain English law...which needs an 8th grade peg.

I don't disagree but if the OP provides a link, I'll read the policy and quote the applicable section....

After a month, I was fed up with waiting for my bruise to heal. I got xrayed today ...and the foot is broken....not just bruised whwas the diagnosis of the Turkish doctor. So, not only did the Tripmate insurance make a mess so did the so called doctor on my trip. Bad doctor, bad insurance..It's enough to make you stay home or at least in the States. No more 3rd world for me. Bad medical care can happen anywhere. Your survival chances are better in the USA.

Archived