Comparisons between Caribbean and Alaska???

naylenk

My husband and I have been on two Caribbean cruises and we have loved both of them. We are thinking about an Alaskan cruise but I am very interested in finding out about the similarities and differences before we make a decision. Other than the differences in ports, which will obviously have few similarities, what about the actual cruising experience? What do you do on sea days on an Alaskan cruise? Can you still swim in the pools? Do they still do dancing and contests poolside? Is it still a fun, upbeat atmosphere? Any help that you can provide me with would be great! Thanks!

I had to chuckle when reading your post because we had the same questions as well! Just completed Caribbean cruise #5 and have Alaska cruise #1 in June. :) I had included the question in my signature as a joke... are there steelpan drums on Alaska cruises? ;)

I was asking myself those same questions. We have been to the Bahama's three times and I absolutley loved it. We are going to Alaska on the Carnival Spirit in June. All I keep picturing is scarves, gloves, thick jackets, snow, freezing cold temperatures...compared to....beautiful beaches, beautiful sand, wonderful warm temperatures etc.... But my husband said it was his turn to pick so......Alaska here we come!!

We've been on two Caribbean and one Alaskan cruise. Have one of each booked now also. You can't compare them. We spent so much time on our balcony on our Alaskan cruise just to view the magnificence of the scenery. We did notice the cold; however, it didn't matter. On the day we visited Sawyer Glacier (the coldest), we just kept adding layers of clothing so we didn't have to leave the balcony. Even ordered room service for dinner so we could see it all. There was lots of music and entertainment onboard, but we missed most of it, and didn't miss a thing.

Our view from our balcony on a Caribbean cruise is beautiful of course, but it is just water and more water, and once in a while, little flying fish. We took part in more onboard activities during these cruises.

Love em both, but Alaska beats the Caribbean hands down.

Have been on 2 Alaskan cruises and 4 caribbean cruises. The days at sea are different. ON Alaska cruises you will be cruising thru the inside passage and/or thru a glacier area such as Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, or College Fjords. All very scenic areas. The opportunity to swim in the pools is available any time. Same goes for the nighttime activities. As you have noted, the ports are very different.

Larry

I've been on 32 cruises- 10 to Alaska- frankly there isn't much to compare. :) You do need a wide range of attire and most outside pools are too cold to swim in- if a priority be certain to select a ship with an inside pool. As for ports- significant in Alaska ALL are worthwhile - unlike the Caribbean where there is usually some "less desired" ports. :) Route is significant- especially if you choose a ship sailing the most inside passage- plenty to keep you occupied sea days- so much so, I spend all my time out on deck- afraid I'm going to miss something good. :) But yes- you will need a lined jacket- knit hat and gloves, but also throw in a pair or 2 of shorts- weather is just unpredictable. Expect passengers middle aged and above the majority with all ages cruising. Educated yourself and make the best choices for you. Spend a few hours reading these boards- you can get a good idea what to expect by those who have gone before you. :) You've entered paradise!!!!

One source of amusement you may have--you'll see a number of the same stores in the Inside Passage towns as in the Caribbean--Diamonds International, Bernard Passman, etc. It takes away a bit from the uniqueness of the Alaska cruise experience.

Les

I have been on 4 Alaskan cruises and probably double that for Caribbean cruises.

I find Alaska far more beautiful and it would be my choice over the Caribbean any day. Some people have said that Alaska is for older people, on my cruises, I have found a lot of young people. Maybe it is the time of year I have gone... I have seen people swimming in both the outside and inside pools on my May trips.

I have found Alaska more casual than the Caribbean. Yes, people still dress up on formal night but it doesn't seem as dressy to me.

On sea days - it is wonderful just to look outside and watch the scenary - it can't be missed. There are other things to do on these days and I am surprised people go to bingo and the spa when one can watch the scenary. There are often lectures on the area from natualists on sea days depending on the cruise line.

Alaska cruises are during the summer months, there will be no freezing temps and no snow. Cool, perhaps, rain more than likely. There is actually no comparison with the exception of the onboard life on the ship. There were kids in the pool every day (brrr) but we were on Infinity and it has a small indoor heated pool for adults only.

It is definitely a different vacation experience than the Caribbean, but you will love it.

budget queen said it all......... as always she's dead-on.

Alaska is far superior to the caribbean, but having said that, they are two VERY different types of cruises.

I've booked my second Alaskan cruise for this fall, and I had a choice of any cruise on this side of the Atlantic....... so that says alot.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has responded so far. We're still deciding what we want to do next. Having just returned last week from the Adventure of the Seas southern Caribbean itinerary, we have quite a bit of time before we save up enough for another voyage - we can always dream right?!

We have done European cruises, Alaskan cruises, and umpteen Caribbean cruises. And I would rank them in that order.....European cruises as my favorite, Alaska a close second, and Caribbean third. People who do not venture on cruises other than in the Caribbean are missing out on a great deal. There is no comparison!

We are part of that 'sorry lot' of Caribbean cruisers! LOL

However, last year we did Alaska in June. It was fabulous! I totally enjoyed it, although I much prefer warmer weather on a cruise. It was a very memorable trip and one that I will always remember and am very glad I did.

That said - we will be sailing the Caribbean/Mexican Riviera from here on out, with a special locale thrown in here and there. Have been to Cozumel umpteen times, but I'm still not tired of it - we do something different each time we are there!

Alaska is beautiful, and although we had an 85 degree day in Skagway, for the most part, it was chilly. You'll love it - enjoy and have a great time - just remember your ear muffs! ;-)

Archived