Metal detectors question?

Tquinn1

I am sure this has been addressed here on cc but I am in a terrible hurry...have a Dr. appt today~follow up from ankle surgery....I have an ankle full of hardware now and am wondering if I need a letter or "card" (as I have heard) when being scanned through the metal detectors???

Just get to the airport a bit earlier than you have been. Not really a big deal, I have been doing it for a while now and find it not so bad. Occasionally you will get a TSA agent that is a bit over zealous, but I just grit my teeth and smile.

My husband has a plate and screws in his neck. We asked the dr. for a card or letter stating this, but he said security would never accept such a thing.

We have travelled domestically and internationally since then and he has never had any issues--never set off the metal detector (on the other hand, my bra did set it off in Europe). We just expect that he might set it off and need some extra time for screening and we allow for this.

I carry a card also (it has the name of my doctor and the manufacturer of the device I have) but the TSA just looks at it and hands it back to me. It means nothing to them, those cards and letters can easily be forged. I realize they are just trying to do their job and try very hard to be patient and let them do it. A little patience and understanding on both sides will get us a very long way.

Just coming on to ask a similar question.

I had a pin inserted in my dislocated finger joint last week and wondered the same thing. Cruise Feb 1, and now I realize at some point I think the pin needs to come out. No swimming for me-which I really looked forward to on board.

By the way, what about any jewelry? Does a ring have to come off, or can the TSA see it and it is OK?

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry about jewelry, it is not a problem. Please don't take it off.

Jewelry is usually fine to leave on, but if you are wearing decorative jewelry with metal (not real gold or silver) you may want to take it off. I always wear rings, a necklace, bracelet and earrings (all gold or silver) and have never had a problem. However, I often see women with big necklaces or bangle bracelets (decorative, not gold/silver) set off the metal detector at the airport.

A representative of the company which made my hip told me it would pass the the machine. I have NEVER made it through an airport screen (several countries) but always have gone through the machine for cruiseships with no beep.

Ships are my favorite way o travel, followed by train. Wonder why I detest airplanes?:confused:

What I should have said was don't take valuable jewelry off and put it in one of the bins. That would be an excellent way for someone to decide they like it and pick it up and take it with them. Have seen it happen with purses!

my husband had a knee replacement the Nov prior to our Sept cruise in 2008. The airport detector went off and he was patted down, had to take off his belt, shoes. Then the alarm went off when he went thru security on the cruise ship. He told them about his knee, he had to go back and thru again and no problem. Funny, when we came in from Cayman Island, the cigarettes in his pocket set off the alarm. Took them out of his pocket and he was fine after that. Thankfully he's quit smoking..but now has 2 artifical knees :)

Archived