Immigration Upon Entering US

seacrystal

We are leaving on a Princess New England cruise on Sept. 17 from Brooklyn and we disembark in Quebec. We are flying from Quebec to Newark and then home to California. I know when we leave Quebec and arrive in Newark that we have to go through immigration. We have a two hour connection before our flight home. With all the new security, does this leave enough time to get through immigration?

Thanks in advance for any help.

First of all, that looks like a nice cruise. I hope you have a wonderful time. Very port-heavy! You'll be busy. ;)

Secondly, considering what is going on these days, I would be very uncomfortable with a 2 hour window. Is there any way to switch your flight time? I'm sure it will cost you money, but it might be peace of mind for you. Quebec City airport is a smaller airport with no U.S. pre-clearance; you will go through Customs and Immigration in Newark, as you mentioned. If you are flying the same airline, you can check your bags through to your final destination, but you'll have to collect them briefly for C & I at EWR, and then take them to be put on your connecting flight. (follow the signs - people do it every day, no biggie). But again, are you comfortable with the 2 hour window? What if your flight from QC is delayed leaving? You'll be that much later in Newark.

Your call, but you might want to check into a later flight.

Thank you Langley Cruisers,

I guess I secretly thought I had a problem and that is why I put it out there. I could have chosen a flight leaving Quebec around 11:00 am but this seemed so early. At this point since it is the end of our vacation I wasn't in too big a hurry to get home. I am going to have to decide whether to change or take my chances.

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

I am going to have to decide whether to change or take my chances.

Yes, well IMO, you certainly can take that 11 am flight. You can self-disembark and carry your own luggage, being one of the first off the ship. Then, take a cab or shuttle to the airport and be there in plenty of time for your 11 am flight to EWR. This will have you scurrying a little at first, but will give you breathing room on the other end, right? And, if by some chance you do not make your 11 (highly doubtful) you could probably be put on stand-by for your original flight anyway.

We are leaving on a Princess New England cruise on Sept. 17 from Brooklyn and we disembark in Quebec. We are flying from Quebec to Newark and then home to California. I know when we leave Quebec and arrive in Newark that we have to go through immigration. We have a two hour connection before our flight home. With all the new security, does this leave enough time to get through immigration?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I think you will be fine. The biggest security hangups are in the foreign country (Canada) For example your carry on baggage will be severely restricted. In New York, there should be a separate line for US citizens. Once through, there should be dedicated check point for passengers in transit. At least that is the case at JFK not so sure about Newark. Security within the US wasn't nearly as bad for us 3 days after Christmas on a domestic US flight. That said, anything can happen

Have you considered flying out of Montreal instead? They have customs pre-clearance and it is only 2 hours from Quebec City. You might be able to arrange for some sort of airport shuttle. Once you land in Newark - it will make things much smoother.

Archived