Driving time to Emerald Lake?

phabric

We will be in Skagway on the Carnival Spirit Sunday Sept 11 7am-3pm. I have rented an Avis car. Avis office will be open at 8 and we must be back on board by 2:30, will we have time to drive to Emerald Lake? I have read that as Canadians we will not be able to cross at the border with a US rented car, is this true? How far is Emerald Lake from the border? If we can not cross we will still enjoy the scenery.

You might as well cancel the car, because it's true that you can't take it into Canada, and the border is only 22 miles away (Emerald Lake is 50 miles further). Thank the idiots at Canada Customs for the rule - they say you should rent in Canada (the fact that that isn't possible doesn't concern them).

Murray

I too agree, cancel the car, you won't get out of the US and certainly not worth the trip without it. Perhaps consider Southeast bus tours? Or the White Pass RR? The ship will have a combo bus rail option. And certainly if you have time get to the Park Service visitor center for their great activities. http://www.nps.gov/klgo/schedule.htm Another option- try and find a US car renter and offer to split the costs, you would be able to ride up with them. :)

Yukon,

Ok, so if you are an American...and your ship docks at the same time and leaves at the same time...will there be enough time to get there with a few stops for pictures?

We also are in need of a van, it is my understanding that Sourdough has them, and even avis has them. Are both of these companies seasonal? I saw on the Avis web site that it won't open up until May the 5th. Do you know anything about the Sourdough rental?

Thanks for any advice. You are a terrific resource on these boards, vaery much appreciated! Nancy

Thanks, Nancy. It's a 150 mile round trip on a very good 2-laned paved road, so figure 3 hours comfortable driving plus tour time - 4 hours will do it, 5 is better so you can stop for lunch etc..

Avis and Classic are summer-only only - the folks who own Sourdough and PB Cruisers live in Skagway and rent year-round. The locals have vehicles that have "experience" but are well maintained.

Murray

I don't have any problems with experienced cars...I have 2 of them at home! Haha. I did leave a message with sourdough...maybe I will call them back today.

By the way, thanks for the quick reply! I have been looking forward to the stop in Skagway for forever after looking through your site. Thank you for all of your valuable information!

Murray: Don't know if I ever thanked you for all the wonderful input you provide on these sites! We rented an Avis car in Skagway last May while there on Summit repo cruise - and drove up to Emerald Lake.....one of the best times we've had on any cruise. So enjoyed being able to take our time and stop at the points of interest - not to mention the bears and other wild life we "visited" along the way! And the stop for lunch at the Cinnamon Cache was just so much fun.

Thanks for your input Murray: We appreciate it way much!

Archived