LIVE From The Oasis of the Seas!

Trainman (Jim) and Trainmom (Carol) are headed to sea again on the World's Largest Cruise Ship!

Here we are resting after unloading our luggage and before heading to check-in.

DSCN9842.jpg

The Check-In process was incredibly smooth!

Friday we drove from Palm Coast, FL, our new home north of Daytona Beach and south of Jacksonville on the east coast, to West Palm Beach where we stayed in a Red Roof Inn for $80 with a Military Discount. This morning it was about an hour drive to Port Everglades and we arrived about 10:00 am.

We dropped off our luggage and I left Carol with the walkers and carry-ons while I went to park the car. WOW! I didn't have to drive all over the port to a parking garage. There is plenty of parking (at least for the early arrivals) right next to RCI's building.

Carol and I are both using a walker this time. More on that later.

We went into the building and it was very well organized. There is a special check in area for Suite Guests. The rest of us are divided up by Deck and each group of Decks has a separate area for Crown & Anchor members.

There were no signs prohibiting photographs and I asked a few people who said "OK" so here they are.

DSCN9844.jpg

DSCN9845.jpg

DSCN9850.jpg

DSCN9851.jpg

And the area for suite guests.

DSCN9852.jpg

Check

One thing we learned fast is that the place and, to some extent, the ship are not "Walker Friendly"!

Carol almost didn't make it up the three ramps to get onto the ship! I had her in front to protect her from the rude people rushing by us. There were a number of expansion joints that she couldn't push the walker over. Several times she got hung up but each time a nice person grabbed the walker and helped her along.

But we made it on board "OK!"

Some of the carpeting is so plush that it sort of grabs the walker's wheels as it sinks in.

Thanks Trainman for your review and photos!!! Friends of ours and us will be on her this summer and CAN'T WAIT!!! :D :D Your review will make it hard for us to wait! ;)

Looking forward to the rest of it!! :p

I forgot to mention that after passing through the metal detector during check-in I was taken to the "Naughty Corner" because I had left a pair of Needle Nosed Pliers in my notebook computer bag!

Shame on me! :eek:

The good news was that I didn't have to remove the computer from its bag for its trip through the scanner.

Best Mustard Drill Ever in 25 cruises with RCI today!

There are no life jackets in the room. They are all stashed at the muster stations. The flow of passengers was well directed and when we arrived at our station they scanned our sea passes to make sure everyone was accounted for.

Of course, when it was over there was the usual rush of people to get out of there!

If you haven't figured it our yet, I am pretty much an "Anti Rude People" guy because I am so worried about Carol being knocked down.

One lady we talked to today told us that she had been knocked down by a bunch of rude kids this afternoon! :eek:

I forgot to mention that after passing through the metal detector during check-in I was taken to the "Naughty Corner" because I had left a pair of Needle Nosed Pliers in my notebook computer bag!

The good news was that I didn't have to remove the computer from its bag for its trip through the scanner.

Now pliers are on the naughty list also??:rolleyes:

Looking forward to a week of reading this thread! Thanks!! :)

Hubby had to go to the Corner of Shame because he had a small pair of scissors which were summarily confiscated until the end of the cruise. I really don't get this. Whatever you can do with scissors or needle-nosed pliars, you can do with a knife from the Windjammer or MDR.:D

Your photos bring back so many happy memories of Oasis. What a great ship!

I am not now and never have been a Royal Champion nor am I reimbursed for my live posts.

I like to always say nice things about RCI but every now and then I can't.

Here are two things on the Oasis that I don't like!

The only plug in the room is under the desk/dressing table and I have to get down on the floor to plug up stuff.

DSCN9911.jpg

The little night tables at each side on the bed on all of the other RCI ships we have been on had a small drawer and a sort of nook below it that were great for stashing stuff. The new ones have no drawer. They look modern but they lack function!

DSCN9912.jpg

trainman, i must say i really wasn't that into Behemoth..OOPS , OASIS of the seas, BUT...

i am really enjoying your live thread and photos....you're giving very useful info, especially about getting around with walkers... (mom now uses a WC, but it's great info nonetheless...)

thanks and looking forward to more!

You sound like me. Bonger machine and mustard drill! Are you going to the Meet & Mangle also?

Confused about the scissors. I've taken manicure scissors and a Swiss army knife on every cruise. They better not take them away from me.

Why are you Trainman and Trainmom? Just wondering.....my son is a Locomotive Engineer.

Have a great time, keep posting and especially keep her in shape for us. A week from now I'll be onboard!

The World's largest Cruise Ship has the World's smallest RCI On-line with only 5 PCs to sign up for wireless service in the rooms. The process requires you to scan your Sea Pass and set up a User ID and a Password. Then you can log on from anywhere on the ship and select your payment option.

DSCN9877.jpg

DSCN9878.jpg

Archived