MDR and jeans

Kelly07

i was on the PC sailing-STAR in december and saw jeans and shorts in both MDRs and never saw anyone turned away...i think it really just depends...this cruise seemed the "MOST CASUAL" we have been on with NCL...even saw JEAN OVERALLs in the VERSAILLES!!!

hubby wears jeans, khakis and dress pants and with a NICE shirt he looks perfectly fine and FITs right IN!!

I find it interesting when someone says I fail to consider others when choosing attire. Sorry I am not dressing for you. I am following the rules set forth by NCL not YOU. As a teacher, I instruct my students to "follow the rules--not what others think or say is right."

The reason we cruise with NCL is their freestyle dining. If I had to get my husband dressed up each night for dinner, we would not be cruising. We went to the cruise line that most satisfies our personal tastes. If you want a fancier dining experience maybe another line is for you. Not trying to start a war but just providing food for thought. :)

I find it interesting when someone says I fail to consider others when choosing attire. Sorry I am not dressing for you. I am following the rules set forth by NCL not YOU. As a teacher, I instruct my students to "follow the rules--not what others think or say is right."

Point taken. However, unless it's changed one MDR has always been no jeans and I think that's why people say consider others when they're dressing. They would like those people to follow the rules, or whatever anyone want to call them, set forth by NCL.....jeans OK in one MDR, not OK in the other.;)

The reason we cruise with NCL is their freestyle dining. If I had to get my husband dressed up each night for dinner, we would not be cruising. We went to the cruise line that most satisfies our personal tastes. If you want a fancier dining experience maybe another line is for you. Not trying to start a war but just providing food for thought. :)

Freestyle dining is probably one of the biggest reason people choose NCL. Until NCL decides there are no suggestions at all about what to wear, there is no reason to suggest someone choose another line for a fancier experience, because people can still dress up if they wish.:)

AMEN!!!!

If you want to dress to the nine NCL is not for you. When I go on vacation the last thing I want to go is get all dressed up for dinner. The last cruise we just took, they turned people away wearing shorts and t-shirts. But jeans and polo shirt was fine, which I wore every evening in the MDR. If your jeans are not torn or worn looking I see nothing wrong with it.

i just don't get the idea of jeans on a cruise. Since I retired, jeans are about the only pants I wear, unless going out to dinner...BUT...

On a cruise, you will find that your jeans soak up moisture like crazy, probably won't dry out until you get home and can really be uncomfortable in warm climates. On the other hand, kahkis like Dockers are much more comfortable and the newer microfabric pants are wonderful. Why wear denim unless it is some kind of "individuality statement".?

Point taken. However, unless it's changed one MDR has always been no jeans and I think that's why people say consider others when they're dressing. They would like those people to follow the rules, or whatever anyone want to call them, set forth by NCL.....jeans OK in one MDR, not OK in the other.;)

You're very kind, but I disagree. There are absolutely those who think jeans should not be worn in any venue and anyone who does so is disrespectful of other diners. How many times have you seen someone on one of these threads ask why someone can't just go out and get themselves a pair of dockers so that they don't have to wear jeans? It's important to point out to people who ask that there is one dining room designated as 'no jeans', but some of the comments go way past that. I always find it funny that the word 'respect' is so often tossed about while completely disrespecting someone's choice to wear something specifically stated as acceptable in the dress code. :rolleyes:

Freestyle dining is probably one of the biggest reason people choose NCL. Until NCL decides there are no suggestions at all about what to wear, there is no reason to suggest someone choose another line for a fancier experience, because people can still dress up if they wish.:)

I believe the suggestion was not meant to mean that if one person wants to dress up they should try a different line; it was in response to someone saying that people wearing jeans make for a less fancy atmosphere while they're dining. I have to agree on both counts; jeans and other casual attire do make for a 'less fancy' atmosphere, and if this is what someone wants in their dining experience, NCL is probably not the best choice of cruise line. Even in the designated no-jeans MDR, there will always be people dressed very casually, because it's allowed in the stated dress code. I'm not by any means suggesting anyone should change lines, I'm just agreeing with the prior poster that a 'fancy' dining atmosphere is unlikely to be found on NCL.

i just don't get the idea of jeans on a cruise. Since I retired, jeans are about the only pants I wear, unless going out to dinner...BUT...

On a cruise, you will find that your jeans soak up moisture like crazy, probably won't dry out until you get home and can really be uncomfortable in warm climates. On the other hand, kahkis like Dockers are much more comfortable and the newer microfabric pants are wonderful. Why wear denim unless it is some kind of "individuality statement".?

I don't know what kind of jeans you wear, but I have never experienced this while wearing jeans on cruises. I know my husband hasn't either. You met both of us on the Pearl... do you really think my husband needs to make some kind of "individuality statement"? :p He generally wears shorts during the day - when it might be hot and humid - and then when it's time for supper and he needs to wear long pants, he chooses what he is most comfortable in - jeans. Part of what he looks forward to on vacation is not having to wear his work clothes, while I look forward to dressing up; Freestyle is perfect for us, because we can do both at the same table comfortably and happily. :) I have no idea why anyone else wears jeans on cruises, and really, I don't care; they're allowed in the dress code and it's their choice to do so if they want.

Personally, I think it's all about attitude. If someone looks like they made some effort to clean up for dinner, I'm generally satisfied. It's when they arrive at the MDR looking rumpled and even dirty that I don't care for it. Neat, dressy jeans are fine with me ---- sloppy jeans or overalls frankly aren't. Unfortunately, you really can't specify when you say "jeans allowed", and there will always be some people who push the envelope. Yes, I know "it is their vacation too," but I think it is disrespectful to other diners to go to dinner looking like you've been cleaning the garage. Just my opinion, of course.

You're very kind, but I disagree. There are absolutely those who think jeans should not be worn in any venue and anyone who does so is disrespectful of other diners. How many times have you seen someone on one of these threads ask why someone can't just go out and get themselves a pair of dockers so that they don't have to wear jeans? It's important to point out to people who ask that there is one dining room designated as 'no jeans', but some of the comments go way past that. I always find it funny that the word 'respect' is so often tossed about while completely disrespecting someone's choice to wear something specifically stated as acceptable in the dress code. :rolleyes:

Yes, I have seen that many times but I have also seen many rude comments on the flip side. I was by no means implying that it is all people who think jeans should not be worn in any venue. Maybe you missed another post of mine where I posted about respecting others and their choice. #33

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=22695901&highlight=#post22695901

I believe the suggestion was not meant to mean that if one person wants to dress up they should try a different line; it was in response to someone saying that people wearing jeans make for a less fancy atmosphere while they're dining. I have to agree on both counts; jeans and other casual attire do make for a 'less fancy' atmosphere, and if this is what someone wants in their dining experience, NCL is probably not the best choice of cruise line. Even in the designated no-jeans MDR, there will always be people dressed very casually, because it's allowed in the stated dress code. I'm not by any means suggesting anyone should change lines, I'm just agreeing with the prior poster that a 'fancy' dining atmosphere is unlikely to be found on NCL.

Now it's my turn to disagree. The comment to which I was referring said, "If you want a fancier dining experience maybe another line is for you."

Is that not a suggestion to try another line?:confused: That person seems to equate dress with a fancier dining experience since all they were referring to was dress and their DH not wanting to dress up. And no, a "fancier" dining experience is not likely to be found on NCL. However, it would be nice if all people respected the NCL guidelines of no jeans in ONE restaurant. Maybe it would make the people who are looking for a "fancier" dining experience feel that it is.;)

I don't know what kind of jeans you wear, but I have never experienced this while wearing jeans on cruises. I know my husband hasn't either.. You met both of us on the Pearl... do you really think my husband needs to make some kind of "individuality statement"? :p He generally wears shorts during the day - when it might be hot and humid - and then when it's time for supper and he needs to wear long pants, he chooses what he is most comfortable in - jeans. Part of what he looks forward to on vacation is not having to wear his work clothes, while I look forward to dressing up; Freestyle is perfect for us, because we can do both at the same table comfortably and happily. :) I have no idea why anyone else wears jeans on cruises, and really, I don't care; they're allowed in the dress code and it's their choice to do so if they want.

Please attribute a quote to the correct person. The above is not mine and we never met.;)

Just got back from a trip on the Dawn. In their newsletter - it specifically says jeans are welcome in ALL dining rooms and restaurants. And we saw people in jeans in all restaurants.

Of course, I think they have the right to send you back to your room to change. There is a difference between jeans and jeans with ripped crotches, sagging down to your thighs, holes in knees, etc.

Yes, I have seen that many times but I have also seen many rude comments on the flip side. I was by no means implying that it is all people who think jeans should not be worn in any venue. Maybe you missed another post of mine where I posted about respecting others and their choice. #33

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=22695901&highlight=#post22695901

Yup, I was just responding to that one isolated comment. :)

Now it's my turn to disagree. The comment to which I was referring said, "If you want a fancier dining experience maybe another line is for you."

Is that not a suggestion to try another line?:confused: That person seems to equate dress with a fancier dining experience since all they were referring to was dress and their DH not wanting to dress up. And no, a "fancier" dining experience is not likely to be found on NCL. However, it would be nice if all people respected the NCL guidelines of no jeans in ONE restaurant. Maybe it would make the people who are looking for a "fancier" dining experience feel that it is.;)

I apologize, this was my error. I could have sworn the person you quoted had also quoted another post, in which the person was referring specifically to the dining atmosphere being affected by others wearing more casual attire. I must have just connected the two in my head.

Please attribute a quote to the correct person. The above is not mine and we never met.;)

Sorry again, I just cut and pasted that last one. I was quoting Bakerintn, who was with us on the Pearl. I didn't think to add the name because it was directly above my post. :)

Sorry again, I just cut and pasted that last one. I was quoting Bakerintn, who was with us on the Pearl. I didn't think to add the name because it was directly above my post. :)

"Who's on first?...............What is on second.........":D

For the record, I don't object to nice jeans at dinner on NCL ... I was just wondering why jeans are so popular, even on Caribbean cruises, when Docker style kakhis seem to me to be just as comfortable or even more so.

Probably because jeans are what they are used to wearing when they relax. I suspect some people have closet full of jeans and others have a closet full of docker style khakis. As I became an old geezer, I switched to khakis for casual wear, but have nothing against jeans wearers.

I don't even have anything against tux or suit wearers until they start trying to dictate what others should wear on a Freestyle ship:D

I guess it depends on what ship you are on.

I have the dailies that someone sent me from a Sky cruise and it says:

"What to wear: Resort casual dress gets you into every bar, lounge and dining venue. Want to get all decked out? A fun choice anywhere on the ship. In the mood for casual shorts? Have a relaxing dinner in the buffet or Palace Main Dining Room. Your favorite nice jeans? They're welcome in all of our restaurants. Hey, it's your vacation, so dress comfortable, and you'll find there's a venue that suits your style."

I for one think this policy is more in line with their advertising. Dockers and nice shirts, or go to the buffet is pretty much the same as you will get on most other lines.

As others have said, it also depends on the itinerary. If you're on an Alaska cruise, you will most likely not be turned away from the MDR for wearing jeans--we weren't. But this was 2007, before Freestyle 2.0, so my example may have expired.

On our Mediterranean/TA cruise in 2008, by partner was turned away for wearing jeans at the larger MDR. This was after Freestyle 2.0, so I'm not sure if it was 2.0 that did it, or if enforcement was stronger on the Med/TA, or stronger on that ship, or what.

Also, please note, if you try to wear jeans the first night, you will not be turned away because of the jeans. Some people don't get their luggage until 8 or 9 the first night, so most dress code rules are waived the first night. BUT, just because you could wear jeans the first night, don't necessarily think you can wear jeans subsequent nights--from experience, dress code rules tighten up on day 2 and forward.

Not telling anyone what to wear--just what we've experienced.

--Michael

"What to wear: Resort casual dress gets you into every bar, lounge and dining venue. Want to get all decked out? A fun choice anywhere on the ship. In the mood for casual shorts? Have a relaxing dinner in the buffet or Palace Main Dining Room. Your favorite nice jeans? They're welcome in all of our restaurants. Hey, it's your vacation, so dress comfortable, and you'll find there's a venue that suits your style." This does not mean every style is welcome in every venue. It means that no matter your style, there is a venue for you to go to..

I for one think this policy is more in line with their advertising. Dockers and nice shirts, or go to the buffet is pretty much the same as you will get on most other lines.

A lot of people don't understand what they read.

Alwalaska, this is not a dig at you! Your post had the pertinent line.

"What to wear: Resort casual dress gets you into every bar, lounge and dining venue. Want to get all decked out? A fun choice anywhere on the ship. In the mood for casual shorts? Have a relaxing dinner in the buffet or Palace Main Dining Room. Your favorite nice jeans? They're welcome in all of our restaurants. Hey, it's your vacation, so dress comfortable, and you'll find there's a venue that suits your style." This does not mean every style is welcome in every venue. It means that no matter your style, there is a venue for you to go to..

A lot of people don't understand what they read.

Alwalaska, this is not a dig at you! Your post had the pertinent line.

I think where the problem lies though is the difference in what you read in different places. This quote clearly states (color changed for clarity) that jeans are allowed in all dining venues. It also states that shorts are allowed in the one main dining room. As others have stated, on the web site and on certain ships, people were turned away for jeans and that shorts aren't allowed in either of the main dining rooms.

Inconsistency causes confusion.

Probably because jeans are what they are used to wearing when they relax. I suspect some people have closet full of jeans and others have a closet full of docker style khakis. As I became an old geezer, I switched to khakis for casual wear, but have nothing against jeans wearers.

I don't even have anything against tux or suit wearers until they start trying to dictate what others should wear on a Freestyle ship:D

When I am teaching I wear khakis to work and they are not comfortable for me. I come home and immediately switch into my jeans for the evening. I even wear jeans through the summer. I am cold more often than I am hot, so for me, jeans are the most comfortable thing I own that I typically go out in public in. Sweats are even more comfortable, but those don't go beyond the house or gym typically. :D

Perhaps a little more attention to detail and a less selfish attitude would be a good idea.

If you pay a little attention, you'll realize that you're breaking the rules of CC, twice in one sentence.

I think where the problem lies though is the difference in what you read in different places. This quote clearly states (color changed for clarity) that jeans are allowed in all dining venues. It also states that shorts are allowed in the one main dining room. As others have stated, on the web site and on certain ships, people were turned away for jeans and that shorts aren't allowed in either of the main dining rooms.

Inconsistency causes confusion.

I agree with your last statement, Ann, but NCL ships do differ in their policy on dress-code. And, it may even vary sailing to sailing. Just depends.

In May on Majesty, jeans were not allowed in Four Season's, one of the MDR's. At the same time, I read posts where folks were allowed, not only to wear jeans, but to wear shorts in one of the MDR's on a different NCL ship.

I don't really mind the inconsistency, but I can understand why it would bother others.

Two comments:

1.) Yes, inconsistancy in the enforcement of any rule has always bothered me. If you have a rule, then enforce it. If you arent' going to enforce a rule, then the rule is either stupid or unnecessary.

Some of the inconsistancy stems from fear of confronting passengers. Nothing worse than an irrate passenger making a scene in a dinning room or threatening to write up the employee. Employees promotion and pay are contingent upon good reviews and no negative reports. That is why many "front line" staff (hostesses, maitre'd's, etc.) are sometimes hesitant to confront passengers. I have always advocated for the ship to assign a security officer or ship officer to those areas during dining times to handle such confrontations.

2.) It still amazes me that there is such a big concern about what other people are wearing!! Nosey, busybodies!! I could care less what the person at the other table is wearing. My concern is enjoying my meal and the company of the people that I am with. I have never had a meal ruined because the person at the next table was wearing at tux! (or jeans...lol)

People should stop worrying about what everyone else is doing and concentrate on themselves and their party.

Archived