MDR and jeans

Kelly07

Freestyle is a state of mind. With that, are jeans permitted in the MDR especially for dinner? I want my husband to be comfortable, would new jeans be appropriate being that it is freestyle? We cruised before on other lines and he always wore nice dockers and such but being as freestyle, does that mean jean attire for men is okay? New jeans and a collared shirt, is that ok?...Thank you for your reply in advance:)

Freestyle is a state of mind. With that, are jeans permitted in the MDR especially for dinner? I want my husband to be comfortable, would new jeans be appropriate being that it is freestyle? We cruised before on other lines and he always wore nice dockers and such but being as freestyle, does that mean jean attire for men is okay? New jeans and a collared shirt, is that ok?...Thank you for your reply in advance:)

Yes and no ...

On each NCL ship, there are typically two Main Dining Rooms. Each has the same menu, but features a different decor.

While nice jeans are generally permitted in all restaurants for dinner, one of the MDRs (usually the larger one) is designated "no jeans permitted".

You should also note that many people report that enforcement of this policy can be "spotty".

don't wear them IMO.

There is a fine line between freestyle cruising and acting like you are at hooters.

Have a modicum of respect for the fellow passengers on the cruise,

many of whom dress up for dinner.

I always wear resort casual at night. Tommy Bahama shirts, linen pants.

and my wife will wear a nice sun dress.

We are not "dressed up" but always look nice.

This should be the happy medium, once again IMO.

Here is what NCL says about it

What Should I Pack?

To give you an idea of what to toss into your suitcase, we've got answers to some of your questions like:

Can I wear something casual to dinner? Do people dress up at night? Can I wear my swimsuit day and night?

The answer to all the above is "yes" - with Freestyle Cruising, you're pretty much welcome to wear whatever, whenever. Our philosophy is "resort casual" and with the widest range of dining venues, tons of entertainment options and bars & lounges, you'll find there are places for your style all over our ships, day and night.

Daytime, it's basically all fine since we know you're probably headed to the pool or out for a fun Shore Excursion. Casual shorts, jeans, tops and sundresses are welcome everywhere. You can even wear your swimsuit to the poolside grill or the buffet.

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

Since all suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don't forget to bring an overnight bag packed with a change of clothes, prescriptions and need-to-have items. Thanks to Freestyle Disembarkation, you'll have time on your final morning on board for breakfast and some last minute sunbathing or even a workout.

On our cruise last spring on the Jewel, we did see a man turned away from the dining room--I think it was the Tsar, the bigger dining room--for wearing jeans. Jeans were allowed in the other MDR.

Before this, and before we realized jeans were a no-no in Tsar, my husband had worn jeans and was not stopped; however, he was also wearing a nice blazer and they just may not have noticed the jeans.

The No Jeans in one restaurant is not consistently enforced but I saw people turned away in jeans and the hostess also made note of a jean skirt. You just need to decide if you will be OK with having to go back to change if DH happens to be turned away. One other thing, on the first night when people may not have gotten their bags, they were permitted in the No Jeans restaurant but the hostess made a note of telling people that they would not be permitted on subsequent nights.

My husband wears jeans almost every night when we cruise, so we generally only eat once in the 'no jeans' dining room (on one of the 'dress up or not' nights).

When you ask about whether it's okay to wear jeans, people somehow get the idea that their personal opinion on whether it's 'acceptable' has some bearing, but it DOESN'T. The stated dress code is very clear about jeans being allowed, so the answer to the question is YES, IT'S OKAY TO WEAR JEANS. (You just have to be aware that one MDR will be designated as 'jeans-free')

don't wear them IMO.

There is a fine line between freestyle cruising and acting like you are at hooters.

Have a modicum of respect for the fellow passengers on the cruise,

many of whom dress up for dinner.

I always wear resort casual at night. Tommy Bahama shirts, linen pants.

and my wife will wear a nice sun dress.

We are not "dressed up" but always look nice.

This should be the happy medium, once again IMO.

This is the problem with Tommy Bahamas wear.....it leaves people thinking they look good. :rolleyes:

Linen pants.... don't make ANYONE who isn't Matthew McConaghey (sp?) look good (even Brad Pitt can't pull them off....well....on second thought..... ;) )

We boarded the Jewel 2 weeks ago. It was cold & rainly most of the time. Under those circumstances b/c most people packed shorts I doubt they would have said anything to anybody about what they were wearing.

There were signs that said "No Jeans" & men must have a collared shirt in Tsar's Palace, the nicer of the 2 MDRs. Nice jeans were OK everywhere else. Personally, due to the decor alone in Tsar's palace which included gold guilt & very ornate fixtures I would have felt uncomfortable in jeans, as I suspect would most people. Everything else was a bit more casual; hence jeans were OK.

In a way jeans on cruises makes me kind of sad but they do seem to be the world uniform of the day. There are far more important things to get upset about.

We have been on 3 NCL cruise, 2 on the same ship and while the posted dress code says no jeans in MDR it is very subjective. On the Crown on the first cruise it was NOT enforced and on the 2nd cruise it was. On the Majesty there were nights where it was fine and other nights where it was not. Our eating pattern was to go to MDR early and my husand's nice jeans were permitted.

And by nice I mean clean, pressed, no holes. LOL

IMO I suggest taking some comfy dockers along and then changing right after dinner which is what my DH does. :)

Linda R.

I wore jeans everynight in the MDR. It actually says in the freestyle daily that jeans are permitted in the MDR, just no shorts or t-shirts. I noticed about half of the people in the MDR wore jeans to dinner..

This has varied by ship and itinerary. On our last cruise in October jeans were not permitted in one of the MDRs.

On our December cruise on The Star we saw people in both MDR's at dinner in jeans, though the dress code posted outside both was the same and both said "dress jeans". We didn't see anyone in torn or overly worn jeans.

We did however see people turned away from both Aqua and Versailles who were trying to get in for dinner wearing shorts. That was enforced with no exceptions.

I think people fail to consider other when choosing attire. When we cruise one of the things we enjoy is eating out in a fancy restaurant. We like to look nice resort casual and enjoy a nice meal. Our last cruise people came into the dinning room in old jeans and a t shirt, and were not turned away. I feel that takes away from the atmosphere. I realize NCL is all about Freestyle but for me part of the experience is looking good. Clean dressy jeans with a button down shirt or a jacket is one thing . But shorts or old jeans and a t shirt is pushing it in my opinion. Dress up go eat and enjoy the experience.

Archived