Passport Needed? Leave from US Port and Return To US Port

Bearcat Fan Amy

Hello all,

My husband and I have our passports...but a couple of our friends that may be going on a cruise with us in May do not. We plan on departing from Ft. Lauderdale on a 7 day Western Carib Cruise and returning to Ft. Lauderdale. I have heard conflicting opinions...is a passport needed or can they travel with Birth Certificates and Driver's/State ID for this type of cruise?

Thanks.

Amy

Hello all,

My husband and I have our passports...but a couple of our friends that may be going on a cruise with us in May do not. We plan on departing from Ft. Lauderdale on a 7 day Western Carib Cruise and returning to Ft. Lauderdale. I have heard conflicting opinions...is a passport needed or can they travel with Birth Certificates and Driver's/State ID for this type of cruise?

Thanks.

Amy

They would need the passport to get back in the country by air, if an emergency developed and they had to leave the cruise.

Whether or not they need the passport, they have time to get one. It is good for ten years.

You do not need a passport if leaving from a US port and returning to the SAME port. The OP is leaving from San Juan and returning to San Juan so it is what is called a closed loop cruise in the Caribbean and passports are not required YET! However it is an excellent idea to have a passport anytime you leave the US since there are no restrictions on your travel except to Cuba.

A passport is not required for a cruise that starts and ends in the same US port and only visits the Caribbean, Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, Bermuda and Central America. However, If there is a need to fly home from another country or fly from the US to another country, that would be a big problem.

Apparently Princess is now advising passengers that RT cruises which depart after March 6, 2010 AND go to a destination outside of Canada/Mexico/Bermuda/Caribbean need a passport or passport card or EDL. It might be in error, but the chart Princess is giving to TA's says a passport is not required BUT it also says that a BC/ID is not accepted.

This is not a US govt. requirement, it might be a requirement of Honduras ( Princess's Western itinerary includes Roatan, Honduras) although many people are currently travelling there on other RT cruises with just a BC/ID. So, to be safe, your friends would be wise to obtain a passport, even if not required by the US government, to avoid any trouble at boarding. Better safe than denied boarding on the ship.

Archived