Do tenders start running as soon as ship anchors?

bumbles

We just booked with Stingray Sailing to go to Stingray City and snorkeling. Their tour leaves at 9:30 am (our ship time); our ship is supposed to be in port at 7 am. I'm just wondering if we need to get early tender tickets or if we'll be OK to catch a tender at 8:30/8:45ish without tickets (they want us to meet between 9-9:15 at the terminal.)

We'll be on the Carnival Valor.

Thanks!

Also, the downtown area shops are not open when the tenders first start, it's kind of a ghost town and shops don't start opening until 8 - 9am. We made the mistake of being on some of the first tenders off the ship then just roamed the downtown area until we had to meet our excursion guide at 9:00 am. Kind of a waste of time, we could have slept in and had a nice relaxed breakfast then gone into town, we ended up sitting on a bench just hanging out for about a half hour or so with nothing to do.

actually no tender runs until the ship has been cleared by Cayman authorities.

Usually the ship anchors in the wee hours so the formalities can be finished and you begin to get off at the time the schedule you get says you 'arrive'

BUT there IS the POSSIBILITY if you arrive on a busy day, or your ship is a little late you can end up waiting to be cleared . . .

but I would not fret .... because in all probability your tour operator has a line to the port authority and will be advised if there is a delay or a problem. Let's face it .... have you EVER seen a post here about a group being left behind by their pre-arranged tour? I've been a regular here for several years .... many ask this question but I have not seen ONE report of a person being left behind because they were late from the tender . . .

If someone has a reference post .... clue me in.

actually no tender runs until the ship has been cleared by Cayman authorities.

Usually the ship anchors in the wee hours so the formalities can be finished and you begin to get off at the time the schedule you get says you 'arrive'

BUT there IS the POSSIBILITY if you arrive on a busy day, or your ship is a little late you can end up waiting to be cleared . . .

but I would not fret .... because in all probability your tour operator has a line to the port authority and will be advised if there is a delay or a problem. Let's face it .... have you EVER seen a post here about a group being left behind by their pre-arranged tour? I've been a regular here for several years .... many ask this question but I have not seen ONE report of a person being left behind because they were late from the tender . . .

If someone has a reference post .... clue me in.

Thanks - I was more worried about waking my teenagers up early to stand in line for tender tickets (especially if it really isn't necessary) than I was about the tour leaving me behind... :o My daughter can be a real bear if she doesn't get her beauty sleep.

BTW, we've spent a lot of time down in your neck of the woods (Sebastian) and love the Brevard County Zoo!

You mention tender tickets. Yes, I will be a first time cruiser in May. Do you always get tickets for tenders or just when you need to be off early? Could someone please explain the process of getting off the ship at ports?

When we were in Grand Cayman last April, the whole tender process moved very, very quickly. I wouldn't worry about making your excursion. Like the others said, the ride is short, and the tenders are fairly large, so it doesn't take very long to catch a ride.

I can't say the same for Belize---This seemed to take forever! The tenders are smaller and everyone gets a sticker if you are going over to the pier. Carnival excursions went to the theater, and the rest of the people went to the back lounge. The ride is longer, and the tenders were smaller.

You mention tender tickets. Yes, I will be a first time cruiser in May. Do you always get tickets for tenders or just when you need to be off early? Could someone please explain the process of getting off the ship at ports?

You might learn more on the First Time Cruiser forum. Most ships dock thus no worries about getting ashore. However, there are some ports like Grand Cayman, where everyone Tenders to shore; small ship lifeboats or Grand Cayman Ferries will shuttle you back and forth all day. A ticket is often necessary to get on an early tender. Just go to the theater or lounges where the tours are meeting to get a ticket.

Enjoy your first cruise.

Archived