Luggage Valet Question

SharC

How do they handle the airline baggage fees?

We're flying back from San Juan and we will be checking one large suitcase for two people. Since the luggage valet service also includes boarding passes, we would pay $20 x 2 + the airline baggage fee, right?

On Delta we qualify for the $20 fee ($15 if paid online) since the ticket was purchased before the recent increase to $25 ($23 online). But how does the airline know that? And who collects the fee? Will it be automatically billed by the airline to my credit card on file? Or will I be asked to pay at the check-in counter for the flight? (If we have boarding passes there's no reason to visit the terminal check-in counter.)

Didn't realize it, but Celebrity charged the airline baggage fee to our onboard account on the last day of the cruise. $20 per person fee for the service was charged at time of signing up. Not sure how they know how much to charge you. Since I didn't realize this until after we returned home, don't know how to answer the rest of your question. Maybe you could call =X=.

Gail

Hi, we used the luggage valet on the Millenium (disembarked 1/11/2010).

We were charged $20 per person for the valet service and $20 per bag by USAirways. Both Charges were applied to the seapass account. I figured that was one less line to stand in at the airport. They check your bags through to your final destination, print your boarding passes. You claim your bags at the port,clear customs, and then give your luggage back to the valet for your appropriate airline. At the airport you can go straight to the security line.

As for the $15 or $20 charge, I'm not sure if they can tell, so i would guess that you would probably be charged $20. For me personally, the convenience is worth it. This is especially true if you have multiple ships in that day and a later flight. Sometimes the lines at the airport can get long. It's nice not having to wait in line to check bags and then having to wait in line for security. Make the day less stressful.:)

How do you find out which airlines participate in the valet service? We're flying out of San Juan on Continental.

They will give you a list of participates on board. Continental is one of them that offers the service.

Two Questions:

• San Juan: 7am disembark from ship, 3:45pm flight out. Friend says that it’s a waste of money to do the luggage valet service because we will not actually be off the ship and clear customs that early, and should just go to the airport.

• Searching through prior posts and one says that she was “accepted” for valet service and her husband was not. What in the world does that mean? Is this a service you “apply” for and can be rejected???

Thank you, thank you, thank you to previous posters for taking the time to post information on these boards. It is immensely helpful and greatly appreciated by this traveler and presumably many others as well. :)

We're flying Delta/Northwest and upgraded to first class. We're allowed to check three bags each for free. Will Celebrity know NOT to charge our ship account for the baggage? Anyone used valet service when flying first class?

Make sure you check your account on the TV the night before debarking. Sometimes the extra baggage fees can show up even if you shouldn't be charged.

We used the service out of Miami in Dec. I don't know how the airlines know how much to charge, but we booked our tickets before the price change and we were only charged the $15. Also in Miami we did not have to claim our luggage and turn it over to AA( line we were flying on). Our luggage was waiting for us when we got to Phila. We plan to us it in the future. It is a great service.

Judi :)

Two Questions:

• San Juan: 7am disembark from ship, 3:45pm flight out. Friend says that it’s a waste of money to do the luggage valet service because we will not actually be off the ship and clear customs that early, and should just go to the airport.

• Searching through prior posts and one says that she was “accepted” for valet service and her husband was not. What in the world does that mean? Is this a service you “apply” for and can be rejected???

Thank you, thank you, thank you to previous posters for taking the time to post information on these boards. It is immensely helpful and greatly appreciated by this traveler and presumably many others as well. :)

We had a 3:45 flight from San juan. We did not have to get off the ship until later in the morning. (Forgot the exact time but it was after 9:00) We picked up our luggage in the holding area and took it through customs. We then turned it over to them for "luggage valet" and never saw it again until we arrived at our home airport.

I don't know why one person was "accepted" for valet luggage and one was not. I do know they have a cutoff time so maybe the other person didn't get the forms in on time or else had too many bags. Don't know about that one. We vote "yes" to the LV program. Gave us a day in SJ with no luggage to worry about.

Can you sign up for the luggage valet service onboard the ship?

Yes. That is actually how you sign up. The ship will have a form for you

to fill out.

I just used it (sailed SUMMIT last week).

• 4 weeks later...

Many of these posts talk about San Juan. We'll be on a Canada/NE cruise in August and plan to use Luggage Forward to the hotel we're staying in for a few days prior, and hopefully the luggage valet from Newark. Does anyone know if it is fleet-wide or just from San Juan? This whole idea intrigues me and I think it's great.

We're flying Delta/Northwest and upgraded to first class. We're allowed to check three bags each for free. Will Celebrity know NOT to charge our ship account for the baggage? Anyone used valet service when flying first class?

BEWARE of this as a problem. I clearly wrote on the form FIRST CLASS - NO FEES FOR LUGGAGE and it was completely ignored. Ship said tell airline...it isn't ship's charge....left ship...went to airline at airport....they said not their charge...sooooo....lots of calls/ letter writing/working with TA. After much trouble, finally got reimbursement from the cruise line.

Next time, I will not use the service if I am flying first class!

Just used the valet service from Puerto Rico this week. No charge for my luggage due to class of service (first class). I only paid the Celebrity valet fee. Others in my group were not using upgraded tickets and were charged the appropriate airline fee. It was a great convenience and I would do it again.

I also used the valet service on Feb 13. Flew first class on Delta. We were charged only $20pp and no luggage fees from the airline. Got off ship at 9:15, thru customs by 9:45, dropped bags at valet, took taxi to Old San Juan, shopped, had lunch at Barrachina(great!!) and taxi to airport....no problemo......

Archived