Star vs. Ruby Princess ship

planooldfamily

We sailed on the Ruby (3/09) and loved it. We are considering the Star Princess in April, and wondered what would be different since it is in the Grand class of ships. We loved the International Cafe and the Crown Grill. Does the Star have these - or something similar ? Any other differences we should be aware of ? Thanks for your help !

Yes, the Star Princess has the International Cafe and Crown Grill. The Ruby Princess has a few other items, but about 500 more passengers in the same amount of public area. The food is great. I was on a 30 day cruise aboard the Star and had plan to sign up for all the paid venues, but the only one I went to was the Chef's Table which was one of the best dinners I have ever had. Sabatini's and Crown Grill were pretty empty most nights during the cruise. Why pay for only a minor improvement in quality?:D

We were last on the Star in 2006. We were on Ruby 03/09 also. I personally thought Ruby was the best cruise I have ever been on.

There are subtle differences, especially after star came out of drydock with the new improvements. Restaurants are in different places. The layout is similar, but not the same. The biggest difference you will see is that skywalkers overhangs the back of the ship, rather than being at the aft part of the ship behind the funnels. This creates a "bridge" over the stern facing pool.

The Star was the second Grand Class ship built (2002) and has no Riviera deck, hence 500 less passengers. The Ruby is the newest and although the Star has had some improvments it is not the same inside as the Ruby.

We sailed the inaugural of the Star as well as a few other times, and sailed the Ruby twice. We love the Ruby now.

The layout of the Atrium on the Star is a bit different with a very large Vines/Wine Store. It actually works well if you use Vines. The library is very cramped and part of the Internet Cafe. The Chefs Table was excellent and the Crown Grill was well worth the money for the superior cuts of steak. Skywalkers in the day is a great place to read or take in the view since it seems you are suspended over the sea

When was the Star in dry dock ? Is there a place to find out what changes were made ? Thanks for all the help !

It was in dry dock in San Fran a couple of years ago and because of immigration problems with the flown in workers (refused entry) most of the work that they had planned did not get finished. Thats why they used Victoria for the Golden last May.

It was in dry dock in San Fran a couple of years ago and because of immigration problems with the flown in workers (refused entry) most of the work that they had planned did not get finished. Thats why they used Victoria for the Golden last May.

Is the work still not completed? We're on board for the TA in April. I know it has the Int'l Cafe, Crown Grill and Sanctuary already. What hasn't been done yet, Colo?

Archived