Is Disney Cruise Line

lakecomolover

worth the price they charge? I'm looking at one specfic cruise for 2011 (obviously peak season) and it's twice the price of Princess or really any of the other lines.

I haven't cruised in quite a few years so it may be that I'm totally missing it, but what exactly does one get for the extra money? Besides Mickey of course. :D

Thanks very much for your assitance.

With out knowing for sure exactly which cruise you are looking at,its hard to tell with the price.Disney has several cruises each year, that go off the normal route.This year, the Wonder is doing a number of 5 day cruises over the summer, and they are not only more popular, but more expensive.Normally Disney only runs 3/4/7 day trips.They are fairly close to market value.Also, with Disney, the price generally goes up the closer the cruise is and the faster it fills.Disney has a near 100% capacity rate, on ALL of its cruises,unlike other lines, which has to fight to get passengers on its ships.Im not knocking the other lines, it simply because, A Disney has a major hotel package they can offer, and B theres only 2 ships.Thats a big advantage at the moment.

So in my opinion, they are worth every penny of it.

Besides the obvious, everything on both ships are Disney Theme.From what I understand, Disney is the only cruise line or one of the only cruiselines, that has broadway style shows every night.

Disney also has a number of firsts.That includes keeping the same wait staff from one night to the next, even though you change restauraunts.

Each ship has 3 main dining rooms, and each one is themed differently, and has its own flavorfull food.Animators Palate, is my favorite and apparently the favorite of a lot of other guests as this is the only rest that is not only carried over to the new class of ships, but also the idea.One of the new rest,on the Dream class, and I dont remember which one off hand, has a similar experience in it also, in that the room changes colors.The new one may not be exactly the same transformation, but similar to it.

On the ships, this is the only place where you have pretty much 24/7 access to most of the more popular Disney characters, from Mickey and Minnie, to most of the princesses.Theres also a few different parties onboard that you wont find on other lines, like the Pirates in the Carribean deck party, and fireworks.

Disney also has its own private and I do mean private island.Where I think RCL has Labadee, the island is shared between 2 or lines and is staffed by locals.Disneys is staffed by Disney, both from the ship and the island itself.Its also the only place in the world, that you can get a good view of the Flying Dutchman, from the Pirates of the Carribean movies.

Having just gotten back last week from our first Disney Cruise, I have to say we found it to absolutely be worth every extra penny. To me, it is all of the little things Disney does that really make the difference. Things I doubt any other line would do. Like the kind Disney employee who was walking through Mickey Mates (one of the souvenier shops) on her way to do something else when she noticed me trying to shop while my toddler son was trying to throw around his newly acquired Mickey basketball. She sat down on the floor and played with him, just so I could walk around the store a bit and shop.

All of the little things really add up.

Well, if you have kids, I cannot imagine another line that does as good a job as Disney. But it is not just for kids. While the shows might be short, they are exceptional. It seems to me that other cruise lines are ship companies and they try to entertain, while Disney is an entertainment company that happens to operate ships.

Maybe you are not into the characters yourself, but seeing one of the princesses kneeling down and holding a child's arms as they talk is a moment that cannot help but bring a smile to your face. So do the rest of the characters as you walk around.

The Pirates in the Caribbean party starts out directed at the kids somewhat, but as the evening wears on, it morphs into more of an adult event with food for the evening up on deck. The deck party as the ship leaves is a kids party, but fun for everyone to watch and get caught up in the mood.

While we love Oceania and the smiles and helpful service, nothing compares to Disney's total atmosphere. There are lots of adult things to do -- entertainment, bars, adults-only pool and coffee shop.

You didn't say exactly when you are cruising, and Disney does increase its costs during school holiday periods which can make some trips pricey.

As a note, after the cruise we were going back to WDW and while we had our granddaughter with us, there were two other couples on the van, and neither had a child. They were on the cruise and going back to the park as well.

I haven't cruised in quite a few years so it may be that I'm totally missing it, but what exactly does one get for the extra money? Besides Mickey of course. :D

Having recently returned from a Christmas/New Year cruise on Celebrity, my heartfelt answer would be: friendly and considerate fellow passengers.

We'd previously cruised Disney 3 times but, as adults without children, decided to try a different cruise line. After much research we opted for Celebrity. If anything we thought we might find it too 'snooty' but it was quite the opposite.

Despite all their advertising showing couples or small groups of adults, on our cruise there was an overwhelming number of large family groups - not lots of young children (we're used to those on Disney!), but large groups of extended family. Who cared nothing for anyone except themselves. They were rude and pushy, wouldn't move to let us into or out of elevators or pass on the stairs. Didn't even make eye contact when passing in corridors let alone smile or say hello. Didn't strike up casual conversation in elevators or when in line for something. Not that they generally stood in line for anything, just barged their way straight to whatever it was they wanted.

And as for the dress code, I don't know why Celebrity bother wasting the ink to say they have one because it certainly was not enforced.

The ship was spotless (Equinox, very new). Food was on a par with Disney, except the main dining room extremely inflexible - we couldn't mix and match from the menu, not even say "baked potato instead of mashed potato". The staff were excellent, helpful and friendly.

But our overwhelming impression was of an unfriendly cruise.

If this had been our first cruise, we'd never cruise again.

Next time we cruise, we'll be back with Disney.

Having recently returned from a Christmas/New Year cruise on Celebrity, my heartfelt answer would be: friendly and considerate fellow passengers.

We'd previously cruised Disney 3 times but, as adults without children, decided to try a different cruise line. After much research we opted for Celebrity. If anything we thought we might find it too 'snooty' but it was quite the opposite.

Despite all their advertising showing couples or small groups of adults, on our cruise there was an overwhelming number of large family groups - not lots of young children (we're used to those on Disney!), but large groups of extended family. Who cared nothing for anyone except themselves. They were rude and pushy, wouldn't move to let us into or out of elevators or pass on the stairs. Didn't even make eye contact when passing in corridors let alone smile or say hello. Didn't strike up casual conversation in elevators or when in line for something. Not that they generally stood in line for anything, just barged their way straight to whatever it was they wanted.

And as for the dress code, I don't know why Celebrity bother wasting the ink to say they have one because it certainly was not enforced.

The ship was spotless (Equinox, very new). Food was on a par with Disney, except the main dining room extremely inflexible - we couldn't mix and match from the menu, not even say "baked potato instead of mashed potato". The staff were excellent, helpful and friendly.

I can't tell you how helpful this post is because I was literally researching Celebrity all morning and specifically the new ship. It's gorgeous. I also like the fact that it's brand new yet only has 2800 passengers (we are not the supership kind of family). We really want the kids to be entertained though.

So, we've decided on DCL because I love their western caribbean itinerary and like the fact that they have the option to sail to Key West or 2 trips to the private island. I would love to get prices, but Disney's website is apparently having problems right now. I'm guessing it's going to be pricy.

Snowbirds. They are why I don't go to "Florider" in the winter.

Snowbirds. They are why I don't go to "Florider" in the winter.

I thought 'snowbirds' were retired people?

These groups sometimes included older members but were generally mixed ages, as if it was parents and teenaged or early 20s children, maybe a couple of younger children, then possibly uncles, aunts, cousins. Many were Spanish-speaking or what sounded like Eastern European/Slavic languages.

It wasn't the experience that Celebrity's advertising and, indeed, reading Cruise Critic had led us to look forward to.

We sailed Celebrity first and thought it was fantastic. 6mths later we did DCL and the difference was amazing.

We have booked the first Baltic cruise with DCL and although we know we could do it cheaper with other lines, we are happy to pay for Disney.

I posted my thoughts on the other board where you asked this, but I'll repeat it here. As an adult cruiser, my experience on DCL has been comparable to that of HAL, RCI, Princess, and Celebrity - except DCL has many more kids onboard. My 4-night Wonder cruise was lacking in adult activities on the Nassau and Castaway Cay days, so it's a good thing I wanted to see the afternoon movies! I would pay a little more to cruise with Disney to the Bahamas, but I would NOT pay double to do any cruise with Disney - especially a port-intensive cruise in Europe.

I think your experience was typical of a holiday cruise - because that's when family groups tend to cruise together. My first Celebrity cruise was a 14-night Transatlantic in September, and it was definitely an adult cruise - which I prefer.

Archived