price of internet on voyager

texasnana

Checking your e-mail on a cruise line's computer can get very expensive. to limit my cost on board, I always bring my laptop and type out e-mails to friends and family in a Word Document first. When i'm ready to send e-mails, I log on to my e-mail service and then cut and paste the text. This way, I get to write my e-mails without feeling rushed by the mounting fees, and I spend less time on my vacation going online.

On Radiance it took me, on average, 15 minutes to get through to my internet based email. And that doesn't include any time to get the messages. Unless you need daily contact or have a large number of consecutive sea days I'd suggest that you not use the on-board internet services.

In the Caribbean 20 minutes of true high speed connection time sells for anywhere between $1.50 and $2.50 at one of the internet cafes that dot most port areas.

Not to thread jack at all I'm actually going to be on the same ship and was looking too. Do they have unlimited plans? I know carnival did on my last ship. Also what about the ports of call, not sure where you (texasnana) are stopping at but since you are from texas I am thinking you are leaving out of Galveston so they might be the same places as me; Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Roatan if you are leaving out of Galveston. Any wifi access around there like bar or coffee shops? I've been to Cozumel and Roatan but never tried. If know one knows I'll be taking my ipod and checking this trip and I'll let you know.

oops see brobert posted something about that when I was posting. Thanks where are some of the cafes if you know.

My memory isn't that great and I don't recall street or company names. Basically I just walk around looking for small signs advertising high speed internet. If you see a bunch of crew getting off watch where they head. Often their first stop is a place where they can inexpensively check their email and call home.

Don't recall Cozumel or Ocho Rios.

In Grand Caymen there are a number. I recall one duty-free store, don't remember the name but it had a decorative truck with rum barrels parked out front and in its logo on Goring Ave I believe. It offered free international calls and internet service.

In Nassau there are a number of places just walk to the main shopping street (W Bay St) and look for signs. Some of the locations are on the second floor.

In St John's, Antigua I ended up in a park-like market area that sold a lot of pottery and other local crafts. There was a tour company that had a small sign in its window advertising internet service. All the other places I walked by were very busy.

If memory serves at Havensight, St Thomas there is a large internet cafe in the last building at the ocean end of the pier.

Not to thread jack at all I'm actually going to be on the same ship and was looking too. Do they have unlimited plans? I know carnival did on my last ship. Also what about the ports of call, not sure where you (texasnana) are stopping at but since you are from texas I am thinking you are leaving out of Galveston so they might be the same places as me; Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Roatan if you are leaving out of Galveston. Any wifi access around there like bar or coffee shops? I've been to Cozumel and Roatan but never tried. If know one knows I'll be taking my ipod and checking this trip and I'll let you know.

RCL used to have Cyber cabin On the newer ships which was a fixed fee for dial up internet service in your cabin. If you signed up they would replace your phone with a different one with a extra port and cable to connect to your laptop modem. Yes it was a slow connection but it was about as fast as the current wifi is now. RCL dropped this service and now goes exclusively with wifi on your laptop @ .55 per minute or the same price on their wired computers. The advantage to using your lap top is you can compose messages before loggin on to save airtime, but this option is not available with the RCL wired computers.

Since the wifi or ships wired connections are very slow (note the wifi connection is not the limiting factor here but the time slice you get on their router before it goes out their sat system is the limiting factor> Also note that movement of the ship makes this slow connection ever slower and sometimes it stops while the ships sat systems re-trains> during these stopped and slow time, you will continue to be charged .55/minute until you log off. Because of the high per minute charge conpled with slow and unreliable connections, I avoid using RCL internet (even with the $10 coupon in my diamond book and the one in my wifes) Signing up is a hassle, you must start by filling out the coupons and then standing in line @ the pursers desk to get them applied. Note they will apply not apply both yours and your wife's to the same account. Next you have to go to one of their wired computers and extablish an account for each coupon. Next you will get a log on (or two if you had two coupons > note you have to swipe your seaspass card for one log in good for 18 free minutes and $.55/minute for the 19th minute and onward) and you can then use this on your laptop but remember to sign off @ 18 minutes or the excess time will go onto your seapass account. If you do manage to track time and get signed off in less than 18 minutes, you can then use the other log on created by swiping your wifes card for another log in with another 18 minutes free to finish (maybe if there are only a few short e-mails) checking your e-mail.

Suggestions, wait till you get to Cozumel, go thru the terminal and to the public street, (stay on the ocean side not crossing the street turn right and walk to the end of the orange wall enclosing the rental car lot at the pier complex. Walk (approximately 150') on the right (just before the open air bar on the corner at the first intersection and enter the cyber cafe. Cost is 2 USD/hour if you have your own laptop or 8 for the day. Connect speed is quite good and wifi signal is strong.

If you don't have your own lap top, you can use theirs for $4/hour.

After we returned to the ship Navigator of the Seas, we went to the Crown Viking lounge on deck 14 and to our surprise we fond the wifi from the Cafe could be received in the CVL with my new Toshiba netbook. (I have noticed that the new Toshiba netbook does have a better built in wifi and any other laptop I have ever used) YMMV so you might want to make a quick trip up to the CVL with your laptop once docked in Cozumel to see if you can see anything other than the overpriced Royal wifi. If I had known the shore based signal was that good, I would have simply paid the 8USD all day rate and returned to the ship to surf in the comfort of the CVL.

Note we were advised that the forum shops far end of downtown 3 miles away in town did have free wifi but I did not go so I can't confirm that.

Archived