What to bring into port with you?

witneys7

So we leave in just 3 days (yay!) and I think I'm ready. My only question is what do you all bring into the ports with you and what do you carry it in? I'm thinking just our wallet, sunscreen (will we really need that this time of year anyway;)), hat, sunglasses, our little cruise card thing to get back on the ship, cameras. What else? And what if we are doing a water excursion how do you all keep your cameras and stuff dry? Just ziploc bags? Thanks for any and all advice!

So we leave in just 3 days (yay!) and I think I'm ready. My only question is what do you all bring into the ports with you and what do you carry it in? I'm thinking just our wallet, sunscreen (will we really need that this time of year anyway;)), hat, sunglasses, our little cruise card thing to get back on the ship, cameras. What else? And what if we are doing a water excursion how do you all keep your cameras and stuff dry? Just ziploc bags? Thanks for any and all advice!

I got a watertight box that holds my regular camera. check walmart in the camping section. they come in 2 sizes

Depends what you're doing in port! If we're just wandering and shopping, I bring my small purse (credit card, some cash, ID) and that's it!

If we're going to the beach, I wear my bathing suit (under something decent!) and bring a small tote bag with sunscreen, book, credit card, a bit of cash....

If we're on an excursion, we dress for what we'll be doing and where we're going..

Common sense!

I usually go with a backpack (hard for someone to steal a backpack off your back, easy to grab a tote out of someones hand or off their shoulder) and put my electronics in one of the big gallon size zip loc bags.

My gf usually takes a separate small tote and keeps just a towel and extra rolled up sundress in it(i keep her important stuff). We use that bag to keep any stuff we buy in port.

My list, though:

-cash

-credit card

-id (passport/dl/whatever you're comfortable with, i take passport in case i miss the boat)

-crusie card

-camera

-towel

-sunglasses

If you'll be doing any type of water activity (swimmimg, snorkeling, etc) a waterproof bag is good. You can keep all the important stuff with you (electronics, cash, ID, etc) in the water. This way you won't have to worry about anyone taking your stuff while you are out in the water.

Something like this-

http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Pak-Multi-Purpose-Nylon-9-Inchx12-Inchx3-Inch/dp/B000OF3JLS/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3OHP9S95BH1HG&colid=19U0R8NO5F1XY

what do you do with your backpack while your in the water? do they have lockers?

I'll usually put it on a chair close to the water where I can keep an eye on it. But my gf is much more of a sunbather than swimmer so she's usually with it. Most beach clubs I've been to have lockers and some of them give them to you for free.

When I go diving or snorkeling I usually go with a group so there's usually a place for people to leave stuff.

Good thread with questions I've often wondered. I already have a backpack that will be used to carry my two cameras, and other documentation. But I guess I was most worried about when I went to the beach, where would i put my backpack, if my husband and I wanted to go out to the ocean. In the states I just leave it by my towel and just keep a close eye on it (when not dunking under the water). Is it the same at the ports of call?

Also, should I carry my passport with me when we go to the ports? I don't mind carrying it, but was wondering if it was necessary.

Thanks!

Archived