Opinion on Juneau tour?

starlit

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Harv and Marv Whale tour or the Temsco Mendenhall Glacier tour. I have the toursaver book, so the glacier tour would be BOGO. I know I can't do both, but I'm torn. I've heard the whale tours are amazing, but I imagine walking on a glacier is pretty cool too. Anyone done either or both of these and have any opinions on it?

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Harv and Marv Whale tour or the Temsco Mendenhall Glacier tour. I have the toursaver book, so the glacier tour would be BOGO. I know I can't do both, but I'm torn. I've heard the whale tours are amazing, but I imagine walking on a glacier is pretty cool too. Anyone done either or both of these and have any opinions on it?

Are you going to Skagway? There are helicopter flights to glaciers from there. Juneau = whales and Skagway = glacier. Of course, there is the small matter of $$$$$!:D

We did the Temsco dogsled in Juneauast May and the photo tour in Skagway. The dogsled tour was amazing, thd photo tour not so much. So in hindsight I would have done exactly what the above poster suggested if you can afford it. With the toursaver it may help!

We booked with HAL because the tour was so pricey just for piece of mind. I heard it was one of the most cancelled tours so figured it would be easier incase. In hindsight i am sure it would have been fine either way and we would have saved a few bucks. We also booked extremely early for that tour because they only do so many flights per day. Glad we did it and the sunny day helped, sunglasses and t-shirts on a glacier who woulda thought!

We aren't going to Icy Straight Point, we're going to Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau and Victoria. We're doing the White Pass railroad in Skagway, the flightseeing floatplane Misty Fjords in Ketchikan with Taquan Air thanks to the Tour Saver book, and in Juneau I'm not sure what to do.

Harv and Marv do the whales and Temsco offers the Helicopter Mendenhall Glacier tour and walk, but I don't have time for both. I probably wouldn't do the dogsledding tour, as it's much more expensive and Temsco has an advertisement in the Tour Saver for BOGO in Juneau. I'm just unsure if I should do the whales or the helicopter/glacier tour with the BOGO.

Are you going to Skagway? There are helicopter flights to glaciers from there. Juneau = whales and Skagway = glacier. Of course, there is the small matter of $$$$$!:D

What are the whale tours in Skagway? I might look into that since we are in that port for so long. The train trip is only 3 hours, so that might be a good option!

What are the whale tours in Skagway? I might look into that since we are in that port for so long. The train trip is only 3 hours, so that might be a good option!

I never heard of whale watching tour in Skagway. The best place is Juneau. The Orca enterprise whale watching was our highlight of the trip

I was just looking at the toursaver coupons on the website and I don't see BOGO. Is this the name of the company or an acronym.

We chose the Mendenhall Glacier tour with Temsco. I would do it again any day. As you can see in the pictures, it was windy the day we were there.

Whatever you choose, have a great cruise.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=agagal313&date=3-29-2010&text=&ship=Carnival Fascination

DSCF0121.jpg.9bca47d245693ae1489f601e6876e84f.jpg

DSCF0111.jpg.60d35c3ae5c83149624777d9e4cbe769.jpg

DSCF0109.jpg.19c3e535f3de7b8490bcf69c05943cf9.jpg

We chose the Mendenhall Glacier tour with Temsco. I would do it again any day. As you can see in the pictures, it was windy the day we were there.

Whatever you choose, have a great cruise.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=agagal313&date=3-29-2010&text=&ship=Carnival Fascination

Your pictures look awesome! How long was the entire helicopter trip? (ship and back to the ship) I think I'm leaning toward the glacier tour. I'd love to do both, but the fact that the glacier tour would be free for one of us, it seems like we should do it. I'd love to hear more about it!

Your pictures look awesome! How long was the entire helicopter trip? (ship and back to the ship) I think I'm leaning toward the glacier tour. I'd love to do both, but the fact that the glacier tour would be free for one of us, it seems like we should do it. I'd love to hear more about it!

One thing you need to know - most of the vendors that do the BOGO have a daily limit. So, it is possible that by the time you go to book, they will not be accepting anymore Toursaver coupons. So, you should probably decide soon, call to book and see if the option is still available.

One thing you need to know - most of the vendors that do the BOGO have a daily limit. So, it is possible that by the time you go to book, they will not be accepting anymore Toursaver coupons. So, you should probably decide soon, call to book and see if the option is still available.

Also, the helicopter tours are usually the first to be cancelled because of weather.

We booked with HAL because the tour was so pricey just for piece of mind. I heard it was one of the most cancelled tours so figured it would be easier incase. In hindsight i am sure it would have been fine either way and we would have saved a few bucks. We also booked extremely early for that tour because they only do so many flights per day. Glad we did it and the sunny day helped, sunglasses and t-shirts on a glacier who woulda thought!

Actually, this is unfounded. ANY of the independents, of which there are only 4 helicopter companies out of Juneau, ALL long established and ALL certainly refund with canceled tours.

Thanks for all the feedback! I think I will book the helicopter tour. I'll take the risk of it being cancelled for weather. How far in advance would they let you know if it was cancelled?

I called them yesterday and they said no one was signed up yet for that day and that they would take 4 people using the BOGO coupons for that day. I already order my tour saver book last week, so I'm just waiting for it to arrive. Temsco wouldn't book the flight without the book number unlike Taquan, who just wants to see the book the day of the flight. I know it's not the same, but I'm going on a whale cruise in March in San Diego, so hopefully I will see SOME whales this year! :)

Thanks for all the feedback! I think I will book the helicopter tour. I'll take the risk of it being cancelled for weather. How far in advance would they let you know if it was cancelled?

I called them yesterday and they said no one was signed up yet for that day and that they would take 4 people using the BOGO coupons for that day. I already order my tour saver book last week, so I'm just waiting for it to arrive. Temsco wouldn't book the flight without the book number unlike Taquan, who just wants to see the book the day of the flight. I know it's not the same, but I'm going on a whale cruise in March in San Diego, so hopefully I will see SOME whales this year! :)

Flights can cancel minutes before the scheduled time. Always, KNOW, what else in port is of interest to you, and have phone numbers and plans of action, if you want to fill your day, with some touring.

Actually, this is unfounded. ANY of the independents, of which there are only 4 helicopter companies out of Juneau, ALL long established and ALL certainly refund with canceled tours.

I know that now, but I was just explaining why we did what we did at the time. If I did it again I would just go direct.

Archived