8-Night Independence Menus (New Fleet Menus) 1/9/10 Sailing

djneph

I love the menu choices!! I don't like meat very much but I love fish so for me it's great. I really like Indian food and I see that on the menu. I do understand though that many might not feel the same. Do they have items that are available every ight (chicken, steak, Ceaser salad, shrimp cocktail) like Celebrity does?

I love the menu choices!! I don't like meat very much but I love fish so for me it's great. I really like Indian food and I see that on the menu. I do understand though that many might not feel the same. Do they have items that are available every ight (chicken, steak, Ceaser salad, shrimp cocktail) like Celebrity does?

yes, but not shrimp cocktail unless you ask.. trouble is, the alternative stuff gets dull! (the alternative chicken is good, the steak is hit or miss)

NIGHT SIX @ San Juan - FORMAL

Starters –

Eggplant and Kalamata Olive Tartare – Tomoato Coulis and Garlic crostini

Seafood Salad – Shrimp, scallops and smoked salmon in a brandy cocktail sauce

Creamed wild mushroom in Puff Pastry – A hearty blend of wild mushrooms, cream and herbs all encased in delicate puff pastry

Cream of Asparagus – Pale green and creamy, this delicious classic soup is garnished with crunchy almonds

Double Duck Consomme – Aged port gives this rich broth a depth of flavor and is garnished with a melange of julienne vegetables

Roasted Peach Soup 0 roasting brings out the sweetness of this stone fruit; strawberries serve as a colorful garnish

Caesar Salad

House Salad – Boston and Oak leaf lettuce, vine ripe tomatoes and sunflower seeds

MAIN COURSE

Thai BBQ Chicken Breats – The delicate perfume of jasmine rice is enhanced by coconut and lemongrass

New England Bay Scallops and Ziti – Sweet bay scallops, grilled portabella mushrooms and fire-roasted red pepper pesto swirl around the pasta

Fisherman’s Plate - A broiled lobster tail and garlicky shrimp served with broccoli florets

Slow-Roasted Aged Prime Rib – Served with natural au jus, a fluffy baked potato and lightly glazed root vegetables

Greek-Style Vegetarian Moussaka – On a chunky and tomato and oregano sauce

Kabuli Chana – Chickpea curry served with fragrant basmati rice.

DESSERTS

Dessert Sampler – A trio of exquisite and textures on one plate - ie. Chocolate Cake, Cheesecake, and Pana cotta (if I remember correctly)

Cherries Jubilee – Warmed, dark red cherries laced with Kirsch; generously ladled over vanilla ice cream

Low Fat Double Passion Fruit Cheesecake – Low fat cheesecake laced with a passion fruit swirl, served on a bed of mango sauce.

Sugar Free Red Berry Tart – Delicate, flaky pie crust filled with sugar free vanilla pastry cream and fresh red berries

NIGHT SEVEN – LABADEE

STARTERS

Fresh Seasonal Fruits – Laced with passion fruit coulis

House Terrine - The Sweetness of port wine enhances this rich duck pate, waldorf salad is a nice complement

Crab Cake – Meaty crab meat cake atop corn salsa, with tequila-lime sour cream

New England Clam Chowder – More like a rich, creamy stew than a soup, filled with chinke of vegetables, potatoes and clams

Asian-Style Chicken Soup – Full-Flavored Chicken broth with wontons, oyster mushrooms, bok choy and scallions

Chilled Golden Delicious Apple Soup – A hint of cinnamon perfectly enhances the apple flavor

Caesar Salad

Focaccia and Tomato Salad - Crusty focaccia , bocconcini and ripe tomato slices tossed with fresh basil served family style

MAIN COURSE

Panko-Cilantro Crusted Catch of the Day – Fresh fish filet sautéed golden and served with basmati rice, cauliflower, spinach and a Cognac-curry sauce

Cheese Tortelloni - Delicate cheese-filled pasta nestled in a light suace of blue cheese and bits of rich-tasting sun-dried tomatoes

Roasted Garlic and herb Rack of Lamb – Sautéed vegetables, mashed potatoes and a rich Cabernet wine sauce

Pan-fried cauliflower cakes – Fried to a crispy, golden brown and served with sautéed pimentos, asparagus and cumin-cilantro sour cream.

Slow-Roasted Double-Cut Prok Loin Steak – Savory pork loin, served atop a bed of braised lentils with crisp green beans, potato gratin and onion jus

Vegetable Vindaloo – Cauliflower, broccoli, beans, peas, carrots, tomatoes and sweet corn curry served with fragrant basmati rice, papadams, and tangy raita.

DESSERTS

Ivory Chocolate Fondue – Sweet berries in a white chocolate mousse; a crunchy biscuit is served to add a nice texture.

Apple Pie a la Mode – Slices of spiced Golden Delicious apples baked in a flaky double crust, topped with creamy vanilla ice cream

Dulce de Leche Cheesecake – Sweet cheesecake with swirls of caramel and a hint of coffee

Low-Fat Caramelized pina colada tart – Pinneapple and coconut flavored filling double-baked in a flaky crust

Sugar-Free Fruit Pillow – Fluffy puff pastry filled with creamy vanilla custard and topped with zesty fruit compote

NIGHT EIGHT

STARTERS

Morocccan-Spiced Chicken Salad – Slices of grilled Moroccan spiced chicken breast with eggplant, arugula, shredded carrots, green beans and raisins

Shrimp Cocktail

Spinach Dip – Warm and creamy, this spinach dip is classic comfort food at its best; served with crispy tortilla chips

Cream of Pumpkin – Finished with candied walnuts and a dash of sour cream

Onion Soup – Caramelized onions are simmered in rich beef broth, full of flavor, each serving is finished with a Gruyere toast

Chilled Raspberry and Pineapple Soup - A unique combination of seet, fresh berries blended with pineapple

Caesar Salad

MAIN COURSE

Shrimp and Mahi Mahi Tempura - Lightly coated in tempura, fried golden and served with stir fried vegetables and clili-lime plum sauce

Grilled NY Strip Steak – With a tomato confit stuffed portabella mushroom, fresh green beans, mashed potato and your choice of béarnaise sauce or Gorgonzola butter

Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Calzone –Baked golden and served with a cherry tomoato and garlic confit salsa

Rice Biryani – Delicately flavored with saffron and spices, served with pappadams and tangy raita

Roasted Turkey – Served with apple bread stuffing, rich cider gravy, creamy rutabaga mash, Brussels sprouts, carrot sticks and tart cranberry sauce

Potato Gnocchi – Tossed with ham and garden peas in a cream reduction

DESSERTS

Chocolate Brownie Sandwich – A dark bittersweet chocolate wedged between layers of rich chocolate brownie

Key Lime Pie – tangy, creamy custard with the distinctive flavor of key lime nestled in a flaky pie crust

Banana and Crunchy Nut Partfait – Creamy, frozen banana custard in layers of luscious whipped cream finished with caramel-fudge sauce, almonds and macadamia nuts

Low-Fat Apple Cake – This wheat caje is topped with apples and served on an almond biscuit

Sugar-Free key Lime Pie – tangy, sugar free key lime custard in a flaky pie crust, served with marinated berries

We did have prime rib on the first night. And, yes, it was a strange menu - we wound up in the Windjammer most nights, There was just nothing that was appealing. The service in the dining room started out pretty good, but deteriorated badly. The final night was horrible, it took forever for our dinners to come - 3 of us sent our shoe leather steak back - all had ordered med rare. Our asst waiter came over to tell us that a new order had been put in, we asked to speaker to the waiter because we wanted the butter rather than bernaise saucem, and two wanted to get brussel sprouts instead of green beans. The asst waiter kept assuring us that the order was put in, but the waiter never came over. Needless to day, we all got bernaise sauce and green beans, then we were abandoned while they did the waiters parade. It was almost 8:20 before we finished, was not happy about that. Oh well...

...after reading hundreds of posts (and I mean on the Royal boards by RCI lovers not

opposition flamers)...that the MDR food at Royal Caribbean has become mediocre.

...and that Carnival's MDR food (especially quality of beef) is superior. So, with generally higher rates than CCL, why can't RCI do a little better in the food department?

Mitch

I have to say that since our first cruise in '98 the quality of food has definitely gone down. Am I dissatisified enough to book Regent or Silversea? No, but I wish the quality was more important to them than it apparently is.

Thank you sooooo much for going to the trouble to type/post this!!

This is the biggest piece of info I have been waiting on, because it really helps us figure out when to plan Specialty or other dining -- and when to MTD.....perfect!!

Yeah, some nights, I have 3 things I might like -- and other nights, I'd be lucky to find one thing....odd...

Thanks again -- we are headed out in March - can't wait to hear what you thought of the cruise!!

The menu sounds very much like we had on the Rhapsody over Christmas and New Year's. Since we're going on the Indy in February I already know what I'm going to order nearly every night!

Ever since we've started cruising with RCL there has been an alternative menu posted either to the side or below the main menu. I can't believe they did away with that. Guess I'll wait and see.

We love the cold soups so can't wait to have them again.

Bon Appetite (sp?)!

The menu sounds very much like we had on the Rhapsody over Christmas and New Year's. Since we're going on the Indy in February I already know what I'm going to order nearly every night!

Ever since we've started cruising with RCL there has been an alternative menu posted either to the side or below the main menu. I can't believe they did away with that. Guess I'll wait and see.

We love the cold soups so can't wait to have them again.

Bon Appetite (sp?)!

They did not do away with the daily alternatives. I just didn't post them, because it looks like they haven't changed them. I look and see if I have a list of what the alternatives were (same list every night). I know it was a chicken, steak, salmon, or pasta dish. My wifes friend ordered from it on one night.

Thank you so much for posting!

The menus do look a little disappointing though. It's strange, I see only a few truly "new" dishes and many of my old favorites are missing. Looking at this, I know there are at least 2 nights where my husband will not eat any of the entrees (which has NEVER happened on a cruise) and I myself am having trouble finding something appealing on one.

I must admit, with people constantly saying how good the food is on Carnival and the lower prices, it is getting harder and harder to stay loyal to Royal. It might be time to branch out a little!

Thanks for posting the new menus. I think most of the starters I like are still on there, but the main courses don't look that great to me. I like fish, but not every night, lol.

I can see that my sister will lose a lot of weight on our Freedom trip. I also can't believe that mushrooms would be a main course. Very disappointing menu as far as I am concerned, but I know others might be pleased.

Can I ask a question? Is the menu posted somewhere or in the daily newspaper, so that we can make a decision about whether to eat in WJ instead some nights? I've only cruised on Disney, and I don't remember if I knew beforehand what the menu was. Thanks for all this good info!

Thanks for the info. We are less than a week away from our first RCI cruise and I'm trying to approach the MDR with an open mind after reading so many reviews, but really, any meal that I don't have to cook and clean up after is a good one. :D

My biggest issue with the menu is that the dessert menu contains dairy in most every dish. My 6 yr old DS is allergic to dairy and shellfish and he loves dessert. How many different ways can they prepare a fruit plate and keep it interesting? If the for purchase restaurants can offer dairy free desserts (brownies and apple pie in Johnny Rockets, Ben & Jerry's sorbets), then why can't the MDR? Maybe he will want to join the AO staff for dinner at Johnny Rockets some of the nights.

It is great that the MDR has recognized that there are those that want/need low fat or sugar free desserts. Let's see them become a bit more diverse in their offerings.

Thanks for the info. We are less than a week away from our first RCI cruise and I'm trying to approach the MDR with an open mind after reading so many reviews, but really, any meal that I don't have to cook and clean up after is a good one. :D

My biggest issue with the menu is that the dessert menu contains dairy in most every dish. My 6 yr old DS is allergic to dairy and shellfish and he loves dessert. How many different ways can they prepare a fruit plate and keep it interesting? If the for purchase restaurants can offer dairy free desserts (brownies and apple pie in Johnny Rockets, Ben & Jerry's sorbets), then why can't the MDR? Maybe he will want to join the AO staff for dinner at Johnny Rockets some of the nights.

It is great that the MDR has recognized that there are those that want/need low fat or sugar free desserts. Let's see them become a bit more diverse in their offerings.

The MDR offers ice cream and sherberts every night. I had a delicious lemon sherbet one night.

Thank you so much for posting the new menus. I am also disappointed to see that the Grand Marnier Souffle is gone..but happy to see the Ivory Chocolate Fondue is still there. ;):D

Are you going to post a review?

Mary

Can I ask a question? Is the menu posted somewhere or in the daily newspaper, so that we can make a decision about whether to eat in WJ instead some nights? I've only cruised on Disney, and I don't remember if I knew beforehand what the menu was. Thanks for all this good info!

Teach - the daily menu is on display outside the dining room each day so you can check it out and decide where to eat. We always do.

OP - Thanks for all your hard work - like someone else said, I'm happy if I don't have to cook or clean up and can always order the steak or chicken off the alternate menu. GREAT JOB!

Archived