Shuttle service from hotels to Port of Miami

waterbugohio

I didn't realize that no hotels offer this service. Starting to look like it will be cheaper over all to just rent a car for one day pre cruise. If you figure in the taxi/shuttle from airport to hotel, and then another taxi from hotel to port the next morning. I can get a car for $62 for one day with drop off at the port. Plus we could look into cheaper flights coming into Ft Lauderdale.

So next question is, do the hotels near the port charge for parking over night?? Are there lots that are cheaper?? I have no problem walking a few blocks.

I can get a car for $62 for one day with drop off at the port.

Just so you know, you can't drop a rental car at the Port of Miami; there is no office there. No one has an office there. You will have to drop it at the closest downtown office (for whatever company you are using) and take their shuttle if they offer one, or take a cab to the pier. As stated, parking your rental car overnight at the hotel will be expensive. You might look at not renting a car and go back to the original cab idea. We were thankful not to worry about driving in Maimi; cabs were fine for us.

Now I'm finding that the hotels near the airport offer free pickup from airport to the hotel, and then free shuttle to the port the next morning.

We are just doing a short weekend girls only trip and trying to keep the cost down. Checking into all things including cutting down on taxi vs. cost of hotel, etc.

Now I'm finding that the hotels near the airport offer free pickup from airport to the hotel, and then free shuttle to the port the next morning.

Yes, you'll continue to gather information of you read the threads on this board; this has been discussed many times before. Most of us would recommend not staying at an airport hotel simply for the shuttle. There is nothing to do out there and basically, you're "stranded". A shuttle is not a good enough reason to book a hotel. Miami is beautiful and has a lot to offer; please consider staying in another area, even if it means you may have to take a cab to dinner or shopping. Split between you, it shouldn't be that much.

Waterbug,

The only MIA area hotel that I've heard of offering "free" shuttle to POM is the La Quinta - it does not get good reviews from some, while others say it's fine for one night.

Look at flying into FLL or MIA - whichever saves you money. From FLL area hotels you can shuttle to POM using SAS or others for about $15 per person.

If you fly into MIA you can search these boards for priceline suggestions - many get good deals on downtown hotels. The cost of a cab - not per person - from MIA to downtown is about $25; 30-35 if you go to Miami Beach. If you stay near the airport many suggest hotels in the Blue Lagoon area (Hampton Inn is often suggested on these boards), the cost of a cab to POM will be $24-28+ tip, or you can shuttle for $10 per person. Good luck!:)

we are in the same situation and this is what I have found:

Rodeway Inn Miami lets you leave your car during the cruise for $5 day and have shuttle to Port of Miami every hour on the hour.

Days Inn North www.daysinnmiamiairport.com also has Park & Fly rates and with the parking at $5/day and shuttle drop off. (no pick up, unless you are staying there after I assume?)

One of these I can't remember which the shuttle is Free after March 31. So it depends when you are going to be there.

quturah, thanks for the info. We are flying in, so the park and fly rates don't apply to us.

And as for being stranded at the hotels at the airport. We are thinking if we have free shuttle to the hotel. Spend the day at the hotel. Taxi one time to downtown Miami for the evening, dinner, pick up drinks for cruise, maybe a bar or two. Then back to the hotel. Then free shuttle in the morning to the pier. We are still about the same and we will be able to share the taxi's as when we come from the airport, we will all be coming in at different times.

Looking at the LaQuinta, have read the reviews and are thinking of taking our chances. Still doing some checking. We have till April 23. Will check the Days Inn and the Roadway.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Waterbugohio,

I am from NW pennsylvania...was reading info for cozumel and somehow found this thread....

Thought I would share some experience as I try to save as much as I can while traveling.

We found that Dollar car rental has a great shuttle service from Miami airport office (just off the airport property) to the Miami port. So if you rent a car in ft lauderdale upon arrival, it would be worth the savings. If you calculate shuttle and taxis that you would be spending to get to your miami hotel, downtown dinner, back to hotel, it would really add up. .. This way, you can independently navigate all destinations...then just drop it off the next morning and catch their shuttle right to your boat. It was really easy. I believe that Budget Rental also does this...

Then you wouldn't have to pay a higher hotel rate for their shuttle service. It would give you more flexibility booking a hotel.

We went spring 2006 and they were running 3-4 shuttles non stop to and from the port. Clean facility too.

The next great thing was to rent the car after the cruise....a shuttle comes by the dock frequently when you get back...Load onto the shuttle, and get another rental car to take you back to the fll airport.

I have priced it and sometimes they quote a 75 dollar "drop charge" for using diffferent pickup to dropoff sites and sometimes they do not.

reserving the car via carrentals.com can get a better rate at times....there is no credit card info given and it is easy to cancel or modify the reservation.

And depending on your age you can also rent via AARP travel page for a huge discount...like 45%. Must be 50 years old...and have the card by the time you pick up the car

http://products.aarp.org/travel/car_rentals.html/

Hope this can give you a little more info to plan....

Recheck the car rental rates frequently...they can change and you may be able to save more with just a few well timed clicks.

Good Luck!!!

Just did a little checking, on google maps, Budget gets a poor rating...so I wouldn't recommend them after all..

I did go to the Dollar Rental on Google maps location and found this 360 pic to show the shuttle and office. Laquinta is right around the corner (.5 mi) from here and would be VERY handy for you.

We are staying at the Laquinta in March in order to leave a car for the week..parking there is free for the 7 day cruise.

Found this article on car rentals and recent fee hikes....a real eye opener.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travelwise/2010974793_trpucci07.html

Site to see Dollar location...shuttle buses on both sides of building.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=dollar%20rent%20a%20car%20miami%20airport&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Ava,

Thanks so much for all your input. This is why I love this site so much. I am looking into car rental. I think the first "girl" to the airport would be the best to rent the car, then she can come and get the rest of us. I am letting it up to her.

i will check out the site you gave me and yes I am watching them every day or so. I am also thinking of using priceline for the rental. We have done this in other cities and gotten some great deals on rental.

If you remember, please come back after you stay at LaQuinta. I also have a thread started on that and would appreciate your feedback on the hotel.

have a great day

Here is a better google map link to show the dollar office...They pick up and drop off on the side and back of this office. You can see the shuttle on the left of the pic.

Not all rental companies will take you to the port so be careful....would hate to see you stuck.

I will try to remember to post about laquinta after my return. Expect a reply early april. We fly back March 30th evening.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=dollar+rent+a+car+miami+airport&ie=UTF8&hq=dollar+rent+a+car&hnear=Miami+International+Airport,+Miami,+FL+33166&ll=25.802905,-80.25583&spn=0,359.998286&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=25.803019,-80.25578&panoid=H3LIhGnP7ChS_nkmOYwn1Q&cbp=12,229.55,,0,5.56

Waterbugohio: Just to share were cruising on the Carnival Valor leaving Miami May 30th. We're flying into Ft Lauderdale the day before the cruise and renting a car from Alamo Rental Cars. Were staying one night at the Holiday Inn at the POM then dropping the rental car off at Alamo at the Miami airport the morning of departure who I've read also has a shuttle back to the port. Cost of the hotel for the 1 night was $128 and the rental car is about $65 for the one day. Just wanted to share what arrangements I came up with that seemed to save me the most amount of money and still work. Thanks.

Do not stay at Days Inn Miami Airport North. I stayed there 8 years ago before a cruise and it was not good. Old dirty rooms, bad neighborhood. Checked TripAdvisor and the reviews are still bad. One of the worst hotels I've stayed in. Only good thing was the free shuttle. I would never stay there again.

we are in the same situation and this is what I have found:

Rodeway Inn Miami lets you leave your car during the cruise for $5 day and have shuttle to Port of Miami every hour on the hour.

Days Inn North www.daysinnmiamiairport.com also has Park & Fly rates and with the parking at $5/day and shuttle drop off. (no pick up, unless you are staying there after I assume?)

One of these I can't remember which the shuttle is Free after March 31. So it depends when you are going to be there.

Both the Days Inn and The Roadway Inn are horrible hotels.

Ava,

thanks for the info. I will watch for your input on the LaQuinta after you return.

Right now we are leaning towards doing a 5 days round trip rental from FLL. This would take care of the shuttle to and from the airport both ways. I can do this rental for right at $100, but will try to priceline it for cheaper. Just need to secure a hotel that has free parking the three days we are on the ship.

Archived