debt card

ABay22000

I always use a credit card for my on board account. This is my friend's first cruise and

she wants to use a debt card for her account. Any problem with this?

thanks

EOS 3/19/10

54 days and counting

I know it was a typo - but when I saw "DEBT" card, I had to laugh! I guess that's what it is!!!:p:p

You are referring to a DEBIT card no doubt, and I can't answer this one as I always use a credit card.

I always use a credit card for my on board account. This is my friend's first cruise and

thanks

EOS 3/19/10

54 days and counting

I used my debit card on the cruise last year and there was no problem. I think somewhere on the site it asks how charges will be paid and it lists debit card as one of the choices. I think the only thing they may have a problem with would be a gift card, but I used one of those too one year and had no problem. Good luck.

thanks

EOS 3/19/10

54 days and counting

To further answer your question, as long as the debit card has a MasterCard or Visa logo. Sorry for overlooking that part:o

I always use my debit card on every cruise and they typically hold 500.00 on the first day or so. I have found they debit daily most of the time. (I check my debit card balance on line every day)

I also use a debit card with no daily limit, if you have a daily limit it may be an issue in which case I would recommend cash or travelers check when you board, then when in Port take money out of the ATM.

If your friend is traveling in a few months, call RC weekly and have them credit her OBC use the debit card and when she gets on the ship she will have plenty of money on her OBC.

There are all sorts of ways not to use a cc.. Good luck

I recommend using a credit card and not a debit card. Strange things can happen and if they happen with a debit card, it's happening with real money. Your money. Money that may also be needed for other things. If it happens with a credit card, it's likely happening with a credit limit.

I've read a number of articles advising travelers that it is much safer to use credit cards than debit cards when traveling, especially out of the country. Using a debit card puts people at greater risk of identity theft and having their personal bank account compromised and possibly wiped out. At least with a credit card, the card has some protection and it can be cancelled if lost or stolen. I, personally, would never consider using a debit card. Do a google search re: advice for using debit or credit cards when traveling and you'll probably find some articles.

Mary

Some banks/credit unions have a limit on how much can be charged to a debit card each day .... I've seen numerous times when someone makes a purchase and it gets rejected as it is over the limit (even if they have tons more money in their account).

If you do plan on using a debit card, I'd call your bank/credit union/financial institution to tell them and see what they have for a limit on transactions. Jan

Archived