Plane journey with a 2 1/2 year old

Ventura2010

We are on the N003 cruise, travelling from Gatwick. Any tips would be grateful for travelling with a 2 and half year old on a plane. She has a trunki (a hand luggage suitcase on wheels she rides on!). Have books, colouring in ect packed but didnt know if any frequant flyers have any tips.

We are on the N003 cruise, travelling from Gatwick. Any tips would be grateful for travelling with a 2 and half year old on a plane. She has a trunki (a hand luggage suitcase on wheels she rides on!). Have books, colouring in ect packed but didnt know if any frequant flyers have any tips.

She should fit in the overhead lockers.

Loads of snacks! We took lots of those Organix or similar packs and they kept her amused on long haul flights.

Also I went to the £ shop and bought some cheap small toys and hid them in my bag then brought them out on the plane and she was totally amazed at the new toy. Also space out when you get a new toy out so you can keep them interested.

Try not to get too stressed if he/she starts making noise as they definitely pick up on it and try not too worry too much about what other people think, you have paid for your seat on the plane as much as the next person!!

Something to suck in case her ears pop: sweets, dummy, drink with a straw, whatever you think will work best for her.

Some comfortable earphones (probably not the in-ear ones supplied) so she can watch and listen to the children's programmes on the seat-back screen.

A clip-board to fasten her drawing book/paper on to so she has a firm surface to lean on.

Some favourite snacks in case the aeroplane food doesn't suit her.

Something snuggly to cuddle up to for a nap (you hope!).

Lucky little girl, hope you all enjoy it!

Carol x

Over head lockers! I ill keep that one as a threat! I do worry what other people think if she kicks off, but your right we have paid for a seat for her too. Its not as though she is rude like im sure some passengers are, just a case of not understanding. Had a fab idea from a US website.

A pill box and fill it with cherios, rasins the lot! Lots of fun find treats!

try not too worry too much about what other people think, you have paid for your seat on the plane as much as the next person!!

I would be seriously annoyed to be seated next to a screaming brat.

Although I'd have no issue with a well behaved child.

I think people generally understand kids are somewhat unpredictable once out of their element. I'm pretty sure just by the nature of your question and concern for your fellow passenger that even if she had a melt-down your parenting skills would find a way to calm her down in short notice.

Don't fret about it I'm sure everything will be just fine.

Buddy

Good luck, sorry don't want to be rude but I really do not understand why any body would want to drag a toddler half way round the world on a 9 hr flight

I travel regularly for business on flights to the Far East and India as well as America and the poor little buggers look as miserable as sin who can blame them its rough enough an economy seat for adults that choice to do it let along a child who hasn;t a clue whats going on

Cruising is great for kids but do a back to back form the UK take them to Caribbean when they are old enough to enjoy and appreciate it

KroonzingFan...............we were all kids once, some luckier than others to travel. So i take effence of your comment.

Soletread - a toddler and a daughter who i would not leave in uk for 16 days without seeing her. Any kid can kick of on a plane no matter their age. Being prepared is a must and that is what im doing.

My daughter came into our life and she does not stop us from doing anything. This trip is a once in a lifetime (paid for by our wedding guests).

Rant over.............

"Once in a lifetime"??? Ha ha, most of started out with that attitude!!! No chance! You'll be sucked in like the rest of us...

Seriously though, I think you'll have a fabulous time and your little girl will be spoilt rotten by all the staff. Many of them have children of their own in their home countries, left behind for months at a time, and they make a huge fuss of the children sailing with them.

What a wonderful wedding present! I wish you well, our son gets married in August and we have booked them a week in Ireland as this is where his fiancee wants to go. Their honeymoon is to Iceland, his choice.

Carol x

Lots of great hints on this thread.

I found continual surprises and earache remedies the most effective.

Visits to the toilet, which toddlers find fascinating, and the child practicing putting on his/her own little seat belt, headphones, changing chanels, etc. are great time wasters.

Try not to let the child sleep just before departure, as they wake up grumpy through disturbed sleep. (This happened on a flight this week, when the mother had to take her sleeping toddler out of his pram, so the pram could be stored.)

Plus it helps, when the child sleeps during the flight, not to move - no meals, no toilet breaks, nothing, except enjoyment of the peace, whilst it lasts! :)

In addition, take your child's shoes off, so when they kick (when you're not looking), it doesn't annoy the passenger in front quite as much.

Archived