Early Saver Question

Lizzzys

I originally booked in category 6B and paid $529 pp

Last week they offered free upgrades from 6A and 6B to 6C, which Carnival honored and now I am in a category 6C.

Day before yesterday I noticed a price drop. Category 6B (my original category) is now being offered for $469 pp, a difference of $60 pp or $120 for both of us. Category 6C is now $479 pp. I did an early saver request but they only allowed a $50 pp onboard credit. Shouldn't I get a credit for the difference between the price now in the category I originally paid for and the price I paid for that category?

Would you guys tell me please where you find these Carnival specials?

TA? Carnival website?? Thanks!

I just do a price search for the same cabin I have now.

If you are a past guest, make sure you check of the box on the left and the price will update. Also, when I did past guest and selected my State of Residency the price was not lower, but when I only checked off past guest the price came down $100.

Also, I submitted the form for my dad's reservation on ES and they send us a new reservation with the reduced price for the final payment to be made in March. I thought it would be an OBC. I am not mad though! lol

I had this question with similar issue.

It was confirmed that when you are upgraded, to 6C, that is your new cat

and price. That future drops, ES, pass pax or Resident rates will you should

look at will be based on 6C.

Price drops would be given prior to finally payment. After your payment

is paid they give you OBC.

Would you guys tell me please where you find these Carnival specials?

TA? Carnival website?? Thanks!

If you paid for a ES its ANY advertised price. I check Carnival and other

travel sites, can mention them here....

One thing I learned is just don't go to the top level to look at prices. I found

just one week the price said it was $549 PP. But we sailing with 4 in one

room. But the 3rd and 4th had drop $70 each. So if you use carnival site you

need to complete the process until you have a bottom line price with taxes.

As I find prices surprises appear only once you select the cat you find upgrades

etc.

Last week they offered free upgrades from 6A and 6B to 6C, which Carnival honored and now I am in a category 6C.

Day before yesterday I noticed a price drop. Category 6B (my original category) is now being offered for $469 pp, a difference of $60 pp or $120 for both of us. Category 6C is now $479 pp. I did an early saver request but they only allowed a $50 pp onboard credit. Shouldn't I get a credit for the difference between the price now in the category I originally paid for and the price I paid for that category?

You get a reduction between what you paid and the category that you are actually in, not what you were originally booked in.

You get a reduction between what you paid and the category that you are actually in, not what you were originally booked in.

I have a hard time believing this. This is my reasoning: If I were to still be in category 6B today, and submitting an early saver request form, it would be approved for $120. ($60 per person) Right afterward, I could call and be upgraded for free to category 6C... so why should I be punished for doing it the other way around.

And where is the Early Saver expert.... Hot something...... where is that person? They would know for sure!!

They do not honour it from the category you orginially booked but the category you are in now.

It applies to the category you are currently assigned....not the original category.

If you read the rules on Early Saver, you'll see the language that it must be in the "same cabin category....etc". What you originally booked is irrelevant at this time...you are no longer in that category.

The Category 6C fare has to drop below your current ES Fare.

FireFly333 is the expert you're referring to.

ken

I have a hard time believing this. This is my reasoning: If I were to still be in category 6B today, and submitting an early saver request form, it would be approved for $120. ($60 per person) Right afterward, I could call and be upgraded for free to category 6C... so why should I be punished for doing it the other way around.

That is an excellent point! I'm assuming that the free upgrade deal is also still going on, after the rate was lowered. You can call Carnival and explain your reasoning the way you did here. There may still be nothing they can do. It may just be a bad break for you. According to the basic rules, they compare the current rate of your current category 6C to the rate you were at. They did it correctly according to the rules ($100), but you make a good point.

We are looking at booking a 2011 cruise as well.

With the Early Saver program, I'm assuming that it can't be used with the "pack and go" rates as they are guarantees and specific categories can't be booked (only inside garantee, etc).

Can someone verify if this is true.

It may be Carnivals way of offering low rates close to sailing while ensuring that the Early Saver cruisers can't benefit from these discounts.

We are looking at booking a 2011 cruise as well.

With the Early Saver program, I'm assuming that it can't be used with the "pack and go" rates as they are guarantees and specific categories can't be booked (only inside garantee, etc).

Can someone verify if this is true.

It may be Carnivals way of offering low rates close to sailing while ensuring that the Early Saver cruisers can't benefit from these discounts.

In researching the recent John Heald "Early Saver 101" Blog, I corresponded with several Carnival Managers w/in the Early Saver program, and they claim that it is intended that you CAN Price Match Early Saver (assigned cabin) with Pack-and-Go (Guarantee/TBA Cabin.

It looks like if a (pack-and-go) Guarantee rate for the Guarantee Category (OV, BL, IS) above your ES Category falls below your ES Rate, you can get that higher Guarantee Category (giving up your assigned cabin for a TBA cabin). this doesn't seem to be publicly documented anywhere and I suspect this would take a lot of phone calls & perseverence to get!!!

ken

I thought that may be the case. It means if the Pack and Go rate for the general category (eg. IS, OV) was lower that the ES you paid, you would not be eligable for an OBC and would have to give up the cabin you picked out months before to take an unknown guarantee cabin (howbeit,in perhaps a higher category).

For me, this would defeat the purpose of booking early with the ES as the big benefit for me is to have an early choice of cabin.

Again, I think this may be Carnival's way of getting around giving OBC to ES cruisers and still being able to offer last minute price drops.

Hi Lizzy, I picked up the flu or whatever on my cruise, so just now reading thru some posts and saw your question.

If you are now in a 6C, yes you have to use the category you are in now to price match, not the one you paid for when you booked. Sorry, but they gave you the correct OBC.

I sometimes think they give you those upgrades to make it less possible that you will get a price drop. Sounds like they were correct. :(

I thought that may be the case. It means if the Pack and Go rate for the general category (eg. IS, OV) was lower that the ES you paid, you would not be eligable for an OBC and would have to give up the cabin you picked out months before to take an unknown guarantee cabin (howbeit,in perhaps a higher category).

For me, this would defeat the purpose of booking early with the ES as the big benefit for me is to have an early choice of cabin.

Again, I think this may be Carnival's way of getting around giving OBC to ES cruisers and still being able to offer last minute price drops.

As I found out, you can only price match upwards too.

I was in a 1A port hole with two beds, but as far as I know, that is lower than a IS, but was told that I couldnt even move to a IS, that IS included all insides, so I was denied moving to a IS, would have had to move to a OV from my lowly 1A. This makes no sense to me, since you never get a 1A if you book a IS and the 1A is cheaper usually than a IS, but they wouldnt let me price match from my 1A to a IS guarantee.

Archived