Is it safe to use credit cards in the ports?

2preschoolers

It's been so long since I've been on a cruise and I don't recall if I just paid for everything in cash or if i used a credit card. Just wondering if it's safe to use credit cards at the markets, etc at the Caribbean ports. (Western Caribbean itin) We don't plan to make any "large" purchases, mind you.

Thanks!

Most of the "straw markets" don't take credit cards....but at the normal stores, it's as safe as anywhere else!

If you use cash, try to have as close to exact change as you can....don't try to buy a $3 item with a $100 bill! You may get local currency as change!

I'd say Yes and No.

I was going to say my friend used his in Cozumel only to find out a couple of days later that someone had a great time buying a new flat screen TV, therefore No, it's not safe but then again, it can happen anywhere.

Number 1 rule before leaving.

Notify you credit card company that you are leaving the country and what dates you are traveling.

2 reasons.

1) You won't be denied a purchase because credit card security felt this was an abnormal charge. ( Customer lives in XX city but a purchase in XX country? :eek: STOP the charge)

2) CYA... You're on a cruise. In Grand Cayman 1 day and Cozumel the next but the credit card company authorizes a charge in Grand Cayman 2 days after you left??? Your butt is covered.

The use of credit cards outside the US can be expensive. Your cc issuer will charge you to use the cc (2% and up). The charge will be in the currency of that country which will then be converted to US$ at the conversion rate at the time of the exchange. It may cost you more to charge it than you thought.

You are at a risk of someone stealing your cc number and using it. The odds are greater in the poorer countries/islands than in the US. Unless you are at a known reputable business, I would not do it.

Unless you notify your cc issuer that you will be out of the country and where you will be, your cc may be denied. The issuer will lock the card until you can contact them to verify that you still have control of it and was trying to conduct a purchase. The phone call can be expensive not to mention one large pain in the butt.

A better idea is to take US$ in small bills as change most likely will be given in their currency. The alternative is to visit the ATM in that port and withdraw some funds from your bank account. It will be in the currency of that country.

The cc issuer's fraud detection departments have become very vigilent. It they feel your cc has become compromised they will lock the card until you talk to them and explain the situation.

I certainly wouldn't have a problem using my MasterCard in a "brick & mortar" store. I wouldn't though in a local crafts market. In all the craft areas I never had a problem paying for my purchases with good old US $; but as been said, take a good amount of small bills - I never had anything bigger than $20s.

I believe, if memory serves, we did not have a 3% fee in Belize but did in Mexico in December. The "reputable" jeweler in Cozumel ensured us we would not have the transaction fee but we did.

We have encountered the fees in Europe for years.

We neglected to call the credit card companies before we left this time. We usually do this but since we cruise in the Caribbean the same week each year it probably protected us. We have had the dreaded credit card issue while traveling so I too recommend you contact your credit card company.

US currency is accepted throughout the Caribbean.

We've encountered problems shopping in Huatulco. My sister used one credit card to purchase jewelry in a large store at that port. She did not use it anywhere else, not even here at home. About 6 months after the cruise, she saw a large purchase she didn't make---it was for very expensive shoes in London, shipped to an address in Huatulco. Seems someone in that shop kept the information from the card and then used it to charge via the internet.

So, my advice is to not let the card out of your sight. Make sure if they use the old fashioned receipts that have carbon paper that you take the carbon. Make sure that your three number id on the back of the card isn't written on the receipt, and if it is, scratch it out on their copy once the transaction is approved.

Since you're not planning on making large purchases, it is actually safer to just carry the credit card (in case of emergency) but to use cash for actual purchases. My other suggestion is to bring large bills with you but exchange them for smaller ones on the ship. Keep the stash in your cabin safe and only take ashore a little more cash than you think you'll need. Along with our larger bills, we typically bring $100 in ones - works great for tips here and there as well as small purchases.

I The "reputable" jeweler in Cozumel ensured us we would not have the transaction fee but we did.

We have encountered the fees in Europe for years.

We neglected to call the credit card companies before we left this time. We usually do this but since we cruise in the Caribbean the same week each year it probably protected us. We have had the dreaded credit card issue while traveling so I too recommend you contact your credit card company.

US currency is accepted throughout the Caribbean.

I always get a kick out of the merchant telling people things and yet they believe them. First of all, the merchant had no way of knowing if there was a transaction fee. Secondly, when you are a tourist, my opinion is there is no such thing as a "reputable" jewelry, or any other merchant for that matters.

You don't know how many times I've heard the merchant say something like "you can take up to three gallons of liquor back with you back to the states". Sure you can, just as long as you pay for it.......

I rarely remember to call our CC companies and never have had any problem short of getting home and having several messages to call them regarding my use.

A friend of mine a few years ago, was in the Caribbean somewhere, and used his credit card at a grocery store. When he got home, there was a huge bill on the card that was processed after he got home. He told the cc company that he was in Canada at the time and they reversed the charges.

We combine several of the above poster's suggestions.

1. We always carry just one CC each (one Visa - one MC) when traveling & we notify those particular companies when we are leaving, where we are going, and when we'll be returning.

2. I never take a purse with me when going on shore; DH never takes his wallet. Both our wallets & all "good jewery" stay in the safe in our cabin throughout the cruise. Pickpockets overseas are extremely well-schooled and will be in & out of your purse/wallet without you even realizing it! Just ask my cousin who had her wallet stolen in Cozumel on our NCL cruise in December. She never even knew it was gone 'til she went to get her ship's card to re-board....

3. DH and I both use the passport holders that go around our neck & can be worn inside our shirt or blouse. Ours have neck straps that cannot be cut & zipper pouches where we can secrete several small bills ($20's, $10's, $5's or $1's - good for tips & small purchases) and we carry only one of our two credit cards, our passports & ship's ID card. We have both hands free, which is good, and don't have to worry about anyone getting to our money, CC's or passport.

4. Fortunately, we have never had any unauthorized purchases charged to our credit cards. The only time that happened was here in the States, and thankfully, LifeLock took care of that. If you don't have LifeLock, or a similar identity theft plan, you may want to consider getting one.

5. If you find you must use your credit card, ITA with always keeping it within your line of sight. Don't let a merchant go ANYWHERE with your card - especially in restaurants.

6. Try not to wear expensive jewelry, watches, etc when going on shore. Potential thieves will spot you in a second as a good "target"

It's a shame we even have to worry about all this, but in this so-called wonderful age of technology, it seems to have become the norm! Please enjoy your cruise and just use good ol' fashioned common sense and you should be fine!

:) Smooth Sailing & Happy Cruising! :)

Some places won't take American Express so we always take Visa or Mastercard. Now some take debit cards too!

We have been on 60 + cruises and Key West has been only place we needed our passports! (never figured out why!). We NEVER take our passports off the ship, aren't shoppers so usually take a couple 20's and smaller bills when we know what we're doing in port (tours, etc)

Some places won't take American Express so we always take Visa or Mastercard. Now some take debit cards too!

We have been on 60 + cruises and Key West has been only place we needed our passports! (never figured out why!). We NEVER take our passports off the ship, aren't shoppers so usually take a couple 20's and smaller bills when we know what we're doing in port (tours, etc)

ITA, Bonnie - we find most places other than the larger hotels do not honor AmEx - we use strictly Visa & MC.

However, we were asked to show our passports in every port stop in Canada when we took our Canada/New England cruise on HAL in 2008. The HAL cruise director warned us of this in advance at his first port talk. Canadian customs officials were at each re-entry point and we were asked to produce our passports AND ship's boarding card to be allowed to proceed back to the ship's entry area. We are doing the same tour on the Maasdam this October, so we'll see if they have changed things up or not.

We were also asked to show them when traveling to & from London and Paris on the EuroStar last year. That was the only time we left London, so I cannot speak for entering other European countries, but I'll find out more info this year as we have two European trips planned.

On our last trip through the Panama Canal, we were only asked for them once and that was in Guatemala. In the Caribbean, we needed them on Barbados - don't know why just the one island, but that was it! :confused:

When our cousin's wallet was stolen in Cozumel this past December, the only reason she was allowed back on the ship was because she had her passport. Luckily, she had put that in a different compartment of her purse and it wasn't stolen along with her wallet. It was the only picture ID she had and even then, it took nearly an hour for her to get permission to re-board. Again - the moral of that story - leave your purse and/or wallet on board!

We just love those little neck-carry pouches. They are very light-weight and no trouble; you don't even realize that you are wearing them, and we have everything we need right in front of us - literally!! :D If we are doing a beach/river excursion, I sometimes carry a small canvas bag with sunscreen, towels, hat, hand sanitizer, etc.....If that gets taken, (it never has) - no big deal. The less I have to tote around with me while on shore, the better!!

Smooth Sailing Always :)

Archived